Ladies LP - actual competition | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - actual competition

R.D.

Record Breaker
if you take away Rachel's consistency, they she really has nothing to fall back on

Deja vu much? I said the SAME THING about Kimmie Meissner a couple of years ago, and what happened? She started having problems with her jumps, and subsequently she sunk in the rankings. To her credit though, she really has become much more exciting to watch (her SP was my favorite this season, too bad she only got to perform it twice).

I really, REALLY hope Rachel does not become Meissner 2.0 (as I like to put it). But I guess in order for that to happen, she'd have to win Worlds first :biggrin:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love watching Caroline and am glad she is seen as improving over the course of the season, but she did revert back to Ave Maria and that could account for some of the improvement in scores. She may have continued to improve SB also, of course, but she can't skate Ave Maria endlessly (please, don't let her be a female Lysacek and keep the same programs forever). For her development as a skater, I wish she'd stuck with SB, but OTOH it's important to succeed at competitions, too, so difficult choice. AM and the results it brought her probably did wonders for her confidence.

Chiming in a little late re: MM's support of Ashley. Gotta agree with, I think it was Feraina's, analysis of her LP at nationals. Her LP score was inflated given the shaky landings, UR's, etc. Should've been about 3rd or 4th to me, but who knows, she may continue to improve into next year.

I do think it's weird and could be subjectively seen as a regression to compete at Senior Worlds one year and then go back to JW the next, but Ashley will hopefully use the additional international experience well and come back next year with still more improvements.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Deja vu much? I said the SAME THING about Kimmie Meissner a couple of years ago, and what happened? She started having problems with her jumps, and subsequently she sunk in the rankings.

In order for it to be Deja Vu, Rachael would have to start having problems. I don't think a couple small bobbles at 4CC qualifies as Kimmie's nosedive. Also, I never saw Kimmie have Rachael's level of consistency at almost every event, and when Kimmie was at her peak, she didn't have to face down the kind of frightening competition that exists now.

To Kimmie's credit, she boasts a combined personal best of 189.87. I think that was before the UR-era, but still... how she has fallen. Alas poor Meissner, we knew her well...

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
In order for it to be Deja Vu, Rachael would have to start having problems. I don't think a couple small bobbles at 4CC qualifies as Kimmie's nosedive. Also, I never saw Kimmie have Rachael's level of consistency at almost every event, and when Kimmie was at her peak, she didn't have to face down the kind of frightening competition that exists now.

I'm not saying Rachel is heading down that path now. Hardly. The Worlds would be her 2nd Big Intl Comp and I won't expect that much from her. Due to the intense competition, I think the Podium is out of her reach but with the SOHL and mistakes from the European competitors she could get as high up as 5th.

To Kimmie's credit, she boasts a combined personal best of 189.87. I think that was before the UR-era, but still... how she has fallen. Alas poor Meissner, we knew her well...

Yeah, now only Kim and Asada seem to be able to put up that kind of score. Sigh...

I'm not counting on it, but I can see Rachael squeezing out a 5th place in Worlds. If she does, can we get a 6th, 7th or 8th place ount of Alissa?

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I'm not counting on it, but I can see Rachael squeezing out a 5th place in Worlds. If she does, can we get a 6th, 7th or 8th place ount of Alissa?

5th seems a bit too optimistic unless (or even if) she pulls off two superb programs out of her a**es.
Also Alissa between 6th and 8th?.....
Oy.....

I'm not counting on it, either.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachel = 7th or 8th

Alyssa = 11th, 12th or 13th

I think those are realistic numbers. Rachel can probably move up a spot or two if she throws it down, and same with Alyssa. But I see no reason to be optimistic, or even hopeful, of that combined 13 finish given what has already happened.

Well, let's see. Czisny beat Kostner at Skate Canada, Flatt beat Suguri at Cup of Russia, and both Flatt and Czisny finished ahead of Lepisto, Meier and Phaneuf on the Grand Prix circuit. Nakano won't be at Worlds.

So that leaves Kim, Asada, Rochette and Ando to worry about. Therefore the U.S. ladies should go 5th and 6th. :yes:

artsciboy

On the Ice
Well, let's see. Czisny beat Kostner at Skate Canada, Flatt beat Suguri at Cup of Russia, and both Flatt and Czisny finished ahead of Lepisto, Meier and Phaneuf on the Grand Prix circuit. Nakano won't be at Worlds.

So that leaves Kim, Asada, Rochette and Ando to worry about. Therefore the U.S. ladies should go 5th and 6th. :yes:

Except if Kostner and Suguri skate as well as Czisny and Flatt in terms of the number of triples, etc., they will likely rank above them. Given that Kostner and Suguri tend to peak at Worlds, its not likely that the US will have 3 spots for the Olympics.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Dear Speedy,
will you please grant the USA the third spot for the Ladies at the Olympic Games? You know that they deserve it. The depth of the ladies' field is amazing in the USA, they just have a hard time picking a front runner. Now they chose one Lady for Worlds, who probably won't be able to hold it together, but why should the other skaters suffer for that?

Please, please just make an exception, so we at Goldenskate will be able to talk about something else than "3 spots for the US" in the next 360 days.

You should also consider that everyone hates you here, and on other FS-sites - it would do wonders for you reputation!

A devoted Figure Skating Fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oooo sign my name on that letter, too, Medusa... I'm getting bored with the complaints/worries too.... :laugh:

I'm all about Team USA... within reason. But does every thread have to be about it?

screech

Final Flight
Dear Speedy,
will you please grant the USA the third spot for the Ladies at the Olympic Games? You know that they deserve it. The depth of the ladies' field is amazing in the USA, they just have a hard time picking a front runner. Now they chose one Lady for Worlds, who probably won't be able to hold it together, but why should the other skaters suffer for that?

Please, please just make an exception, so we at Goldenskate will be able to talk about something else than "3 spots for the US" in the next 360 days.

You should also consider that everyone hates you here, and on other FS-sites - it would do wonders for you reputation!

Haha I agree about talking about something else. However 3 spots... would be deserved if they were earned last year! How bout going back in time and allowing Canada even 1 for 1998!

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Dear Speedy,

Yeah, the US ladies field is soooooo deep that we'd need about 4 top skaters to totally implode to get even one of ours on the podium at Worlds. And they're all such a threat for next year, too...

Sorry, the US ladies do not deserve three spots for this year or next year. We don't have three ladies worthy of filling three spots.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Dear Speedy,

I'm hearing Terry Gannon's voice in my mind: "So a standing ovation for Medusa, from Germany. We'll be back... on ESPN"

Dear Speedy,
will you please grant the USA the third spot for the Ladies at the Olympic Games?...

:rofl:

I think the reason U.S. skating fans are obsessing on winning three spots is something like this. Athletes and sports fans are goal oriented. If one goal (a podium finish) is beyond reach, then one naturally turns to a lesser but still “manful deed within one’s measure” (6th and 7th.)

“So desolate were those places (the looming World Championships) and so deep the horror that lay upon them that some of the host were unmanned and they could nether walk nor ride any further.

“Aragorn looked at them and there was pity in his eyes rather than wrath; for these were young skaters from Rohan or Lossemach, and to them those twin Saurons, Asada and Kim, had been from childhood names of evil, and yet unreal; and now they walked as in a hideous dream made true, and they understood not this war nor why fate should lead them to such a pass.

“‘Go!’ said Aragorn. ‘But keep what honour you may, and do not run. And there is a task which you may attempt and so not be wholly shamed. Take your way south-west till you come to Cair (Los) Andros, and if that is still held by enemies (Rochette, Kostner, Ando, Suguri, Lepisto) as I think, then re-take it, if you can, and hold it to the last in defense of Gondor and Rohan!’

“Then some being shamed by his mercy overcame their fear and went on, and the others took new hope, hearing of a manful deed within their measure that they could turn to, and they departed.”

-- from the MK trilogy, book III, “The Return of the Kween.”

Dear Speedy,

oooo. Nasty. How does the German Board go about Witt and whooooo?

Except if Kostner and Suguri skate as well as Czisny and Flatt in terms of the number of triples, etc., they will likely rank above them. Given that Kostner and Suguri tend to peak at Worlds, its not likely that the US will have 3 spots for the Olympics.
Indeed, Mathman forgot Kostner who will definitely be held up even if she falls twice, but at some point the European judges have to cool it on her if it becomes blatant.

As for Ando, well we'll see.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Mathman entire post:

You just made my day. It is 50 degrees outside(which is balmy compared to our recent frigid weather) the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I have tears in my eyes from laughing. Good one!! :clap::clap: