Ladies LP - actual competition | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - actual competition

gold12345

Medalist
Yeah, the US ladies field is soooooo deep that we'd need about 4 top skaters to totally implode to get even one of ours on the podium at Worlds. And they're all such a threat for next year, too...

Sorry, the US ladies do not deserve three spots for this year or next year. We don't have three ladies worthy of filling three spots.

I think the 13 number is too harsh anyway. The US can consistently place 2 ladies in the top 10 at any competition. Shouldn't that be enough to get an additional entry? The fields in all disciplines would be stronger and deeper if they changed the magical number to something higher than 13.

This is probably why I want three spots so badly. Our third entry could very well come in the top 10 at the Olympics. Why should this person have to stay at home?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Then again, maybe 2 spots is all we'll need. Nancy made the Olympic podium in 1994 and we only had 2 spots then. :rock:

figuristka

Medalist
I can't believe how long this thread has gotten about the American ladies. Iam happy to see other nations like Korea, Japan, and Canada have ladies who have gotten better, and Italy too.Even Finnish ladies seem to be doing a bit better. Its not the end of the world if USA does not have 3 spots for the ladies as other nations had to do without 3 many times. Russian ladies have not even done as well as the americans.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I can't believe how long this thread has gotten about the American ladies. Iam happy to see other nations like Korea, Japan, and Canada have ladies who have gotten better, and Italy too.Even Finnish ladies seem to be doing a bit better. Its not the end of the world if USA does not have 3 spots for the ladies as other nations had to do without 3 many times. Russian ladies have not even done as well as the americans.

I think US fans harbor a not-so-secret desire to see a US sweep of the Olympic podium. And I think a lot of people fear that the US ladies might somehow end up where the Russians have been floundering for the last three years or so. I don't think that's the case, myself. I just see this as a transition period for the US ladies. In the meantime, I like to see countries previously not considered a threat (Canada, Finland, Italy) in the Ladies' event contending for (and winning) medals. That keeps it interesting.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not emotionally invested in any of the US ladies to even care about the tired old 13 total debate. Flatt is my favorite of them right now, so hard working and dependable and smart and nice, and Meissner is so sweet that I wanted her to do well, but things for her are SO DIM right now. I fully expect only 2 ladies' spots for next season and given the level of performances of the 2 ladies who are going to Worlds, mostly referring to Czisny, 2 spots is all that is deserved for the USA. I applaud the other ladies around the world who are skating so wonderfully right now and hope the momentum keeps up for them. These ladies at the top right now have worked so hard and competed so well, and they deserve that respect.

I agree that it's a shame that the majority of Americans seem to be obsessed with whining over the weak state of US ladies when the ice dance program is performing better now and in recent years than ever after a long history of lack in depth in that discipline. Also, the American men are incredibly deep in talent and competitiveness too. It seems so many take this for granted and only want to focus on the negative, which is unfortunate.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just see this as a transition period for the US ladies. In the meantime, I like to see countries previously not considered a threat (Canada, Finland, Italy) in the Ladies' event contending for (and winning) medals. That keeps it interesting.

I totally agree with you! I love seeing countries that have been counted out by many now posing serious medal threats. More specifically, it's the athletes themselves known for past inconsistencies who are now conquering their physical and mental demons and skating so well whom I really love to see and root for! It's very inspirational! :love::bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
These ladies at the top right now have worked so hard and competed so well, and they deserve that respect.

I agree that it's a shame that the majority of Americans seem to be obsessed with whining over the weak state of US ladies when the ice dance program is performing better now and in recent years than ever after a long history of lack in depth in that discipline. Also, the American men are incredibly deep in talent and competitiveness too. It seems so many take this for granted and only want to focus on the negative, which is unfortunate.

:rock::rock::rock::rock::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Eurofan

On the Ice
What do you mean by that? I didn't find this post nasty at all, but quite accurate...

I thought it was pretty amusing myself, but, then again, I am half German and lived there for a number of years, so I'm well acquainted with the German sense of humor.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
You guys think this is bad. Over at FSUniverse, the ladies' long program thread got to 1,300 posts the following morning. The moderators closed the thread. :laugh:

Here we are 4 1/2 days later, and we still haven't hit 800.

Last edited:
Indeed, Mathman forgot Kostner who will definitely be held up even if she falls twice, but at some point the European judges have to cool it on her if it becomes blatant.

As for Ando, well we'll see.
Oh dear, we are leaving out Meier who is another threat to top 5. Is she healthy? I hope so.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh dear, we are leaving out Meier who is another threat to top 5. Is she healthy? I hope so.

She skipped Europeans due to injury. I don't know whether it is true or not but I read somewhere that Meier has been diagnosed with a hip injury similar to Michelle's and will require surgery. She will wait to after Worlds to have surgery. If that info is true she will be iffy at Worlds.

Anyone have an update on Meier's condition?

Eurofan

On the Ice
She skipped Europeans due to injury. I don't know whether it is true or not but I read somewhere that Meier has been diagnosed with a hip injury similar to Michelle's and will require surgery. She will wait to after Worlds to have surgery. If that info is true she will be iffy at Worlds.

Anyone have an update on Meier's condition?

Perhaps you read this article in the NZZ which states that in addition to the herniated disc, she has a hip problem (in the joint/hip socket, according to the article) that will require surgery. As you've said, she's postponing the surgery until after Worlds.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think US fans harbor a not-so-secret desire to see a US sweep of the Olympic podium. And I think a lot of people fear that the US ladies might somehow end up where the Russians have been floundering for the last three years or so. I don't think that's the case, myself. I just see this as a transition period for the US ladies.

I won't speak for other US fans, but I just want us to have a MEDAL contender. Someone in the hunt who could potentially upset the favorites for the Podium.

It does seem like a transition period, though. Like I said before, I think we'll be fine, but in the LONG RUN. The concern is that Vancouver is now increasingly becoming the SHORT run, and with FS coverage disappearing from US TV like a magic trick, it does not make it any easier that the selling point of FS here in the States is virtually nonexistent at the moment.

flying camel

Medalist
I won't speak for other US fans, but I just want us to have a MEDAL contender. Someone in the hunt who could potentially upset the favorites for the Podium.

That's all I want also. Just someone who is in contention. Because you don't know what will happen in sport. It is always good to be there to jump at an opportunity. We've seen it before.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Mao's 3F+2Lo+2Lo........

It is definitely under-rotated.. Don't you think that is more like 2+1+1?
See the moment when her skate takes off and count the number of rotations.
Even if I go very very generous, it is at most 2.5+1.5+1.5..
and yes.. there was no deduction at all. That's the way she always jumps..

http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~skshin/what.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

screech

Final Flight
I think the first 2lo is 1/4 turn but the 2nd one looks more underrotated. But there were lots of underrotations not called at the event (look at Evan's 4T!!) complaining won't do anything.