Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here! | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here!

rchen3

Rinkside
The fact that we have to wait for protocols to try to understand this result is what is wrong with the current scoring system. The audience watching the skating live isn't looking at and analyzing protocols... They see the performance on the ice, and the performance is what should determine the results, not some number crunching. I don't think it should matter that Yu-Na's 3-3 was credited and Mao's was not... Yu-Na missed a major element while Mao completed all the elements. We need a scoring system that can reflect this.

I completely agree. Figure skating is a spectator sport. If the average audience can not comprehend the score, it will loose popularity. The IJS and the scores keep people perplexed. This is not good for Figure Skating in the long run. The whole Prix season is full of examples of totally wired judging and scores that kept people wondering after the show. The situtation can't be getting any worse.

steyn

On the Ice
I completely agree. Figure skating is a spectator sport. If the average audience can not comprehend the score, it will loose popularity. The IJS and the scores keep people perplexed. This is not good for Figure Skating in the long run. The whole Prix season is full of examples of totally wired judging and scores that kept people wondering after the show. The situtation can't be getting any worse.
Well, in COP system, you can at least understand what exactly happened. Then you can say whether you agree or disagree. In previous 6.0 system, you are totally baffled even if you feel something is fishy. To me the current system is much better if not perfect.

rchen3

Rinkside
FPl. Name Nat. Points SP
1 Yu-Na KIM KOR 65.94
2 Mao ASADA JPN 65.38
3 Yukari NAKANO JPN 62.08
4 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 55.88
5 Miki ANDO JPN 55.44
6 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 50.48

Shocked about Joannie. Hopefully she'll have the free skate of her life.

Mao and Kim are literally tied in the SP. In this case, Mao has the clear advantage because she usually performs much better in the Free Skate, which is far more important in determine the final placement. Mao may finally win her first GPF title.

Okami

On the Ice
Mao and Kim are literally tied in the SP. In this case, Mao has the clear advantage because she usually performs much better in the Free Skate, which is far more important in determine the final placement. Mao may finally win her first GPF title.

Well she did win it, a few hours ago. :laugh: It was her second GPF title, though. She edged out Irina Slutskaya to win her first title back in 2005.

rchen3

Rinkside
Well, in COP system, you can at least understand what exactly happened. Then you can say whether you agree or disagree. In previous 6.0 system, you are totally baffled even if you feel something is fishy. To me the current system is much better if not perfect.

I do not disagree that the new system is in the right direction. However it is not yet a finished product and a working system. We basically replaced an old system which is not good at all, with a new system that has potential but needing a lot of fixing up. The new system should be fixed, but not abandoned. There are a lot of similar systems in other sports that are working well, why not figure skating?

steyn

On the Ice
I do not disagree that the new system is in the right direction. However it is not yet a finished product and a working system. We basically replaced an old system which is not good at all, with a new system that has potential but needing a lot of fixing up. The new system should be fixed, but not abandoned. There are a lot of similar systems in other sports that are working well, why not figure skating?
Of course. But I think that the current system works reasonably well even at this stage and average audience can understand the result in most cases except a few ones such as ladies LP in the last Worlds. (But you can still see what actually happened even in these cases.) So I don't agree with your statement, "The situtation can't be getting any worse."

There are a lot of similar systems in other sports that are working well, why not figure skating?
In my opinion, the answer to that question is -- because figure skating is not "other sports."

I think it is is a fatal miscalculation in the part of the ISU to try to make figure skating "like other sports." If figure skating were "just like other sports," why would we need figure skating at all?

IMHO, we already have plenty of "other sports." I think we would be better off with a scoring system (ordinals, for instance) that celebrates the fact that figure skating is different form other sports.

JMO. :)

In my opinion, the answer to that question is -- because figure skating is not "other sports."

I think it is is a fatal miscalculation in the part of the ISU to try to make figure skating "like other sports." If figure skating were "just like other sports," why would we need figure skating at all?

IMHO, we already have plenty of "other sports." I think we would be better off with a scoring system (ordinals, for instance) that celebrates the fact that figure skating is different form other sports.

JMO. :)
If it is not a sport like other sports, what is it then? but please don't give me that artistry nonsense because that doesn't exist. And who among many, do not use the music properly? And how can a teenager feel the angst of unrequited love?
Oh dear, I could go on......

If it is not a sport like other sports, what is it then?
It is a unique sport, not a same-old, same-old sport.

Figure skating not only gives kids a chance to leap vigorously about, as other sports do, but also to express themselves. :love:

Edited to add: In what other sport could you see a move like this?

Last edited:

creamso10

Spectator
i meant spiral not spin

Guys, I totally understand why you would think like that:rofl:

About Mao's lutz, well.... to my TV angle, I think that's a lutz, deep outside edge before jumps, however it's more like flat to me later. That should not get "e" of course.

About the spins, well.... You said the speed only "affects the GOE" then why do you puzzle that Mao got level 4? "unstable"? I don't think so; abou the time, well..... would you pls tell me how to judge the spins?? by the duration of time?

Yukari, certainly she should get more marks........Frankly speaking, I think she's the one whose PCS should be of high marks. No errors in her SP, and she did intepretate the music well.

Mao's spin was good, especially her sit spin improved a lot. i'm impressed.
what i didn't understand was the spiral. watch the video again, she was slow
and quite unstable during her spiral position

Kinga

Medalist
If it is not a sport like other sports, what is it then? but please don't give me that artistry nonsense because that doesn't exist. And who among many, do not use the music properly? And how can a teenager feel the angst of unrequited love?
Oh dear, I could go on......

I totally cannot get it. You are the one who praises a lot beautiful skaters like Lambiel etc. You are the one who says that without such skaters it would not be worth watching. Then, at the same time you totally disregard artistry and that different dimension that figure skating, although being a sport, undoubtly has.

liketotally

On the Ice
It is a unique sport, not a same-old, same-old sport.

Figure skating not only gives kids a chance to leap vigorously about, as other sports do, but also to express themselves. :love:

Edited to add: In what other sport could you see a move like this?
Lol.. where did that come from?

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
some people(especially for Mao and Yu-na) start to fight because of that and

they pretend to be the expert.

i mean especially people around me (koreans and japanese)

i think rather than skaters' quality of performance, their nationality affects them

and i feel sad about it

I love both Mao and Yu-Na. Mao's technical ability combined with her fairy-like presence on the ice is awe-inspiring nad Yu-Na's raw emotion and artistry with her ability to draw the audience in is equally awe-inspiring. I'm neither Japanese nor Korean, but I do speak both languages... I've never found that it makes me lean for one skater more than another based on their nationality though. :laugh: