Leaping Beauty: Balletic Chen Soars | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Leaping Beauty: Balletic Chen Soars

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It all blends together. There's a carriage that one learns in dance class. Plushy had it. Eman had it, and so did/does Joshua Farris. In fact, Jason has it as well. That's why he gets such big component scores and lands on the podium without a quad at Nationals.

I know Plushy studied ballet and all, but I never found his carriage particularly textbook - and certainly not akin to the carriage of the other guys you mentined. He hunches/doesn't look up when he strokes around, and skaters like Eman, Lambiel, Takahashi, Buttle, Brown, Chan and Farris have better, more upright, "dance" posture IMO. I don't think Nathan has the greatest posture either, it's a bit stiff, but it's not distracting and he has a regality to him.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I know Plushy studied ballet and all, but I never found his carriage particularly textbook - and certainly not akin to the carriage of the other guys you mentined. He hunches/doesn't look up when he strokes around, and skaters like Eman, Lambiel, Takahashi, Buttle, Brown, Chan and Farris have better, more upright, "dance" posture IMO. I don't think Nathan has the greatest posture either, it's a bit stiff, but it's not distracting and he has a regality to him.

Hm..you didn't answer me..it seems you don't want to argue with the greatest ballet dancers..:laugh: Or I'm on your ignore list ;) In this case anybody tells him my post? :laugh:

Don't get me wrong every FS fan can decide who is his favorite. If CSG had not mocked Plushenko's Nijinsky program in that message, I don't react it.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hm..you didn't answer me..it seems you don't want to argue with the greatest ballet dancers..:laugh: Or I'm on your ignore list ;) In this case anybody tells him my post? :laugh:

Don't get me wrong every FS fan can decide who is his favorite. If CSG had not mocked Plushenko's Nijinsky program in that message, I don't react it.

Sorry, you're missing the context of my post. It had been said, rather dramatically, that Nureyev would be rolling in his grave to have Chen compared to him -- when really, nobody was saying Chen is as good as Nureyev, only drawing inspiration and movements from Nureyev's performances and sort of paying homage to him. So, I was being tongue-in-cheek when Mathman posted the link of "Plushenko as Nijinksy", saying Nijinsky would also be similarly "rolling in his grave", when Plushenko (like Chen) was drawing inspiration/movements from Nijinsky as a tribute to him... hence the winky face. ;) Hope that clarifies.

I don't take issue with Plushenko skating to Nijinsky (it's actually one of my top 3 programs... of Plushenko's, that is). Point is, when similarities are made between skaters and artistic icons that they try to emulate, they're not to made to suggest these skaters are on par with said icons (unless of course, the person is exaggerating -- which never happens in the skating world, right?! :biggrin: ).

No figure skater is as good as Nijinsky or Nureyev (and even then it's kinda comparing apples to oranges anyways). But that's not to say skaters can't remind you of famous artists or draw inspiration from these artists that manifests itself in their skating/choreography/movements.

Last edited: