Level Ones on spins, step sequences, (and what used to be spiral sequences) | Golden Skate

Level Ones on spins, step sequences, (and what used to be spiral sequences)

burntBREAD

Medalist
Level Ones on spins, step sequences, (and what used to be spiral sequences)

I've noticed a few times, and it seems to have happened a lot in today's ladies' SP in the JGP Brasov.

I notice that quite a few skaters have received level 1 spins (and one skater, Fujisawa, received level 1 step sequence), and one skater, Kim received no credit on her flying sit spin despite the fact that from videos, all these spins looked fine. What can go wrong that causes a spin/step sequence to suddenly drop to level one? I know that spiral sequence used to go down to level one if you didn't hold the positions long enough, but I don't understand how the spins can drop (for example, Nishino and Fujisawa's flying sits look almost identical but Nishino got a level one while Fujisawa received level four).

Do anyone know?

mskater93

Record Breaker
There's a variety of things that can cause elements to be dropped in level. If the positions aren't held long enough, the level drops. So, for example if the skater does a flying sit spin and initially hits the standard sit spin position on the exit of the fly but doesn't hold that position for 3 revs, anything else the skater does doesn't matter from a difficult position standpoint. For step sequence, it depends on the variety and difficulty/complexity of turns. If a skater attempts to do counters and the turns end up really being brackets or they do rockers and the turns end up being three turns instead, it will reduce the variety number and that is one of the main determinants of step sequence level. I am currently at work, so can't look at the SPs in question, but will later.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Browse through the Technical Panel Handbook; you will find discussion of the various situations in which an element must be called as level 1 or must receive no value.

Basically, to summarize mskater93's examples, some features are mandatory for an element to qualify for any level higher than level 1. So if that feature isn't met, the element must be level 1 even if other features are met.

For spins, achieving a "basic position" is mandatory although it doesn't count as a feature by itself.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Oh, yes, and I forgot, for the change combination spin, all three basic positions must be met for the spin to be higher than level 1. If the sit spin doesn't meet the requirement for a sit spin (butt lower than knee), then it won't count...As I said, I will look at these things later and comment via PM to you.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
It could be that the skater changed edge during the spin when they didn't mean to, preventing them from achieving the minimum number of rotations on one edge or another.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Most of the fly sit spins that got called level 1 didn't achieve the sit spin immediately upon the landing. There seemed to be a "two part approach" to it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Most of the fly sit spins that got called level 1 didn't achieve the sit spin immediately upon the landing. There seemed to be a "two part approach" to it.

And looking at Kim's video again, it seem that not only did she not hit the sit spin position, she seem border line on whether she was low enough per technical standards ( MS, I think you said below the knee, yes?)

I'm no expert, but that is my impression,

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yep - that's right. Also, Cain had "hydraulic action" where it was borderline on the first rev+ and then she sat further. The rule is, more or less, butt below knee...