Liners to wear under Skate Dresses | Golden Skate

Liners to wear under Skate Dresses

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello everyone. Please bear with me if this is a silly question but I'm fairly new to the world of skating competitions. The dress I bought is sleeveless. I know I'm going to be extremely cold in it (which is ok, I can totally deal with that but I'm afraid it might negatively affect my skating if I'm too cold and I start shaking) so someone recommended wearing a leotard type of thing underneath it to help keep me warm. My concern is that it seems like with all of these I've found online, you'd be able to see at least a portion of it. The dress is cut really low in the back so I think some of the liner would show. Is this acceptable if it shows a little bit? Is that normally done? I'm kind of old school where I believe you should never let things like that show but then again, I know it's probably not that big of a deal. These liners look like they're a similar color as the mesh material that's on a lot of skating dresses so maybe someone from a distance (such as the judges) could possibly think it's part of the dress but I don't know. I want to be warm but I don't want to look stupid, haha. And once I order it, I'm stuck with it because there are no returns on these. I've included a link to the one I'm thinking of getting...it's one of the lowest cut ones I've been able to find. Any advice would be great! Thanks! https://www.northerniceanddance.com/mondor-body-liner-w-clear-straps.html

Last edited:

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
i wear the exact body liner. I wear a long sleeve with fabric so can't answer your other question. Based on experience competing collegiately I'd say you're fine if a little bit is showing, it is a lighter color than the mesh in my costume. Also, I disconnect the straps so they don't touch in the middle which helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Wome...body+liner+clear+straps&qid=1627840484&sr=8-2 - this is the one i have

Girlbird

On the Ice
I think you'll be fine with the liner even if a bit shows, from a distance it won't make a difference. Just make sure you keep your warmup jacket on as long as possible, keep moving off the ice while you wait, and then the adrenaline of being out there for your program will carry you through any coldness. If you learn that you're too cold - well, next time buy a warmer dress!
Also, you can layer your tights for extra warmth.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone. Please bear with me if this is a silly question but I'm fairly new to the world of skating competitions. The dress I bought is sleeveless. I know I'm going to be extremely cold in it (which is ok, I can totally deal with that but I'm afraid it might negatively affect my skating if I'm too cold and I start shaking) so someone recommended wearing a leotard type of thing underneath it to help keep me warm. My concern is that it seems like with all of these I've found online, you'd be able to see at least a portion of it. The dress is cut really low in the back so I think some of the liner would show. Is this acceptable if it shows a little bit? Is that normally done? I'm kind of old school where I believe you should never let things like that show but then again, I know it's probably not that big of a deal. These liners look like they're a similar color as the mesh material that's on a lot of skating dresses so maybe someone from a distance (such as the judges) could possibly think it's part of the dress but I don't know. I want to be warm but I don't want to look stupid, haha. And once I order it, I'm stuck with it because there are no returns on these. I've included a link to the one I'm thinking of getting...it's one of the lowest cut ones I've been able to find. Any advice would be great! Thanks! https://www.northerniceanddance.com/mondor-body-liner-w-clear-straps.html
You could probably make it work this time around, but don't be surprised if the judges do say something to you, if you can see it or whatnot.

If you know you are a cold person, make sure your costumes are made with long skin toned mesh sleeves, even if you want a sleeveless look for your dress, it can still be done.

Good luck! :)

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
i wear the exact body liner. I wear a long sleeve with fabric so can't answer your other question. Based on experience competing collegiately I'd say you're fine if a little bit is showing, it is a lighter color than the mesh in my costume. Also, I disconnect the straps so they don't touch in the middle which helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Wome...body+liner+clear+straps&qid=1627840484&sr=8-2 - this is the one i have
I'll check out the link you posted. Yeah, I tend to think it's probably fine if a little bit of the liner shows in the back but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I think you'll be fine with the liner even if a bit shows, from a distance it won't make a difference. Just make sure you keep your warmup jacket on as long as possible, keep moving off the ice while you wait, and then the adrenaline of being out there for your program will carry you through any coldness. If you learn that you're too cold - well, next time buy a warmer dress!
Also, you can layer your tights for extra warmth.
That's a great idea about wearing two pairs of tights and moving off the ice while I'm waiting to skate, I'll definitely do that. Thank you.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
You could probably make it work this time around, but don't be surprised if the judges do say something to you, if you can see it or whatnot.

If you know you are a cold person, make sure your costumes are made with long skin toned mesh sleeves, even if you want a sleeveless look for your dress, it can still be done.

Good luck! :)
Yeah, I wasn't sure what the judges might think if they saw it. I bought the dress off a website. I started not to buy it since it was sleeveless (and I do get cold easily) but it was so pretty! Next time I'll probably need to choose one that has sleeves. I have seen some dresses with the mesh sleeves and they look good. If I ever have one custom made, I'll definitely have them make one with those kinds of sleeves. Thank you.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I would say save your money--since the liner doesn't have sleeves, it won't help much. Get thick tights or wear two pairs and keep your jacket on until the last possible moment.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I would say save your money--since the liner doesn't have sleeves, it won't help much. Get thick tights or wear two pairs and keep your jacket on until the last possible moment.
That's a good point. I definitely will wear two pairs of tights and keep my jacket on until time to skate. Thank you.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You'll get used to competing when it's cold after your first few competitions. Just stay warmed up. You won't shake if you're warmed up and your muscles will work just fine. And NEVER use clear straps. They reflect light and end up being more obvious than the tan ones.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
You'll get used to competing when it's cold after your first few competitions. Just stay warmed up. You won't shake if you're warmed up and your muscles will work just fine. And NEVER use clear straps. They reflect light and end up being more obvious than the tan ones.

Ok, I'll make sure to stay warmed up before going out there. I didn't know that about the clear strips, I'm glad you told me about that. Thank you.

Girlbird

On the Ice
Ok, I'll make sure to stay warmed up before going out there. I didn't know that about the clear strips, I'm glad you told me about that. Thank you.
A bit OT but when I was a studio ballerina, we would put foundation on our clear straps so they didn't reflect light. Those were pretty much all that were available nearby me and we had to wear nude leotards under our costumes for quick changes. It was so annoying and the foundation would get everywhere, at least for me. Memories!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A bit OT but when I was a studio ballerina, we would put foundation on our clear straps so they didn't reflect light. Those were pretty much all that were available nearby me and we had to wear nude leotards under our costumes for quick changes. It was so annoying and the foundation would get everywhere, at least for me. Memories!
Ballet where I learned (the hard way) that clear straps are a no go. And you're not the only one whose foundation got super messy. For anyone who doesn't have time to order replacement straps, grab some tan medical tape at your local pharmacy (they'll likely have it) and you can tape over the straps. More of a hassle than foundation but it's not as messy as foundation so it's really just choosing your hassle.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I would never have thought to put foundation on the clear straps, that's a great idea but yeah I'm sure it was a bit messy.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Ballet where I learned (the hard way) that clear straps are a no go. And you're not the only one whose foundation got super messy. For anyone who doesn't have time to order replacement straps, grab some tan medical tape at your local pharmacy (they'll likely have it) and you can tape over the straps. More of a hassle than foundation but it's not as messy as foundation so it's really just choosing your hassle.
I like that idea!