Where to buy dresses for testing? | Golden Skate

Where to buy dresses for testing?

AlySkates

Rinkside
Hi! I recently re-started skating as an adult and have my first MIF test coming up in about a month. I skated a bit as a child, but am now in a different club, and my coach emphasized the importance of having a nice dress for my test as opposed to my usual practice leggings, since the judges are fairly old fashioned.

So I'm wondering where people usually go for a well-constructed basic dress that isn't too expensive? I'm guessing the $20 ones on Amazon are bad, but ideally I'd also like to keep it around or under $100. I don't compete so it doesn't need to be anything flashy, but my coach seemed to suggest I should look for something slightly more embellished than your basic black leotard with a skirt. She also suggested long sleeves knowing I will be cold, as I always am.

Any suggestions on brands/retailers? Do people normally go custom or would that be too expensive? And for other perpetually cold people - any opinions on test-appropriate outerwear?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I recently re-started skating as an adult and have my first MIF test coming up in about a month. I skated a bit as a child, but am now in a different club, and my coach emphasized the importance of having a nice dress for my test as opposed to my usual practice leggings, since the judges are fairly old fashioned.

So I'm wondering where people usually go for a well-constructed basic dress that isn't too expensive? I'm guessing the $20 ones on Amazon are bad, but ideally I'd also like to keep it around or under $100. I don't compete so it doesn't need to be anything flashy, but my coach seemed to suggest I should look for something slightly more embellished than your basic black leotard with a skirt. She also suggested long sleeves knowing I will be cold, as I always am.

Any suggestions on brands/retailers? Do people normally go custom or would that be too expensive? And for other perpetually cold people - any opinions on test-appropriate outerwear?
It sounds like your coach is the old-fashioned one. No judges for testing I've been around for the last 10 or so years really cares that you have a almost fancy dress on. A practice dress would be fine, if you must though.

Something like this is more than fine, get some heavier footed tights to keep you warmer.

Some of these nicer (more competitive dresses) are on sale. Here and here as well. Do not get a dance length skirt.

Good luck!

AlySkates

Rinkside
It sounds like your coach is the old-fashioned one. No judges for testing I've been around for the last 10 or so years really cares that you have a almost fancy dress on. A practice dress would be fine, if you must though.

Something like this is more than fine, get some heavier footed tights to keep you warmer.

Some of these nicer (more competitive dresses) are on sale. Here and here as well. Do not get a dance length skirt.

Good luck!
Thank you for finding these! My coach is actually pretty young and not even really a fan of dresses in general, I think she just wants me to be on the safe side since my usual fit is a ratty old hoodie so I'd have make a purchase either way haha. Appreciate the links!

theblade

On the Ice
When my kid tests, the attire is long-sleeved for comfort. I have also purchased a higher-end yoga wear fitted jacket in case the rink is cold. The jacket is in a dark color and fits close to the body in order for the judges to see the skater's lines. Although the jacket is also worn outside of the rink (cost-per-use is a *big* thing for me) it has been a smart investment.

I film my kid's tests, so it looks good on camera.

I have been teased that my views on testing are old-school, but I believe it is an important event in skating, a right of passage, not unlike passing a grade in school. To dress up with some tailored panache is a way to look good, feel better on a day that may be stressful.

Good luck with your testing!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ask your coach if a nice leotard as opposed to a basic one would be okay. It's going to be way cheaper and usable for other things as well.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I like a dress for testing, but no judge worth their salt will be influenced by the snazziness of it. It's best to look smart and business-like, ideally plain and in a dark colour, as that shows the lines up best.