Lipnitskaia is asked to move to pairs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia is asked to move to pairs

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Er, not to sound shady, but her jumps are used to being so small -- I can't imagine her being able to land a huge amplitude throw with security and control. On the other hand, maybe if she is capable of it, her ability to spin so fast will make quad throws and twists easy for her. :biggrin:

But nevermind that, it's kinda rude to tell her she should do pairs. I don't think Julia is by any means out of it, even with the Russian wave. She's definitely not the fave, but it's not nice to tell her to quit like people do with Leonova.

Last edited:

Khoai

Match Penalty
I doubt that she can do pair, she does not seem tough enough to land a huge throw jump. And no man can match her spin.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Isn't she still skating for her federation, which is paying for housing, stipends, etc... Basically the fed is her employer. When your employer tells you to take on a different position, you usually cooperate. Or you find a new employer.

Pracygr

On the Ice
Isn't she still skating for her federation, which is paying for housing, stipends, etc... Basically the fed is her employer. When your employer tells you to take on a different position, you usually cooperate. Or you find a new employer.
Except Vasiliev is not a representative of federation. He's just a coach. A coach with some significant achievements under his belt, but still, his authority doesn't extend any further than his own students.

TGee

Record Breaker
A "formal proposal" made through a tabloid interview is a bit of oxymoron, don't you think?

Yup.

That's all part of what marks for me the difference between helpful advice from someone who has her and their federation's well-being in mind, and self-interested adventurism wrapped up in the guise of sage advice...

Pracygr

On the Ice
Yup.

That's all part of what marks for me the difference between helpful advice from someone who has her and their federation's well-being in mind, and self-interested adventurism wrapped up in the guise of sage advice...
I don't think he was looking to make sagely advices while giving a quick over-the-phone interview with some random tabloid. He just made a couple snarky remarks and went on with his business - something he's been doing for years. If he actually wanted to give advice to a skater he would no doubt find a way to deliver it personally. Skating world is small and people have plenty of opportunities to see each other eye to eye.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Except Vasiliev is not a representative of federation. He's just a coach. A coach with some significant achievements under his belt, but still, his authority doesn't extend any further than his own students.

Additionally, she has stated herself she would rather quit than do pairs. This is another option people have when their employer tells them to take a different position. If they truly do not wish to do so, they can indeed just quit instead. This is what makes employment different than slavery.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh man, this thread really brought out all kinds of feelings in me: sadness, anger, shock, disbelief, and even some laughs.

I have such a soft spot for Julia. I just want her to do whatever she feels she should do, and I honestly think pairs or dance isn't it.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I wouldn't take what Vasiliev says seriously especially since for the last few years, since the breakup of M/T, he's been an outsider and isn't exactly the feds best friend. Perhaps he's just looking for attention or he has his eye on her and this is his open way of courting her or something. Does he have any male skaters in need of a partner? :scratch2:

But since I like Julia a lot it does make me paranoid. I wonder how many coaches, and people in the hierarchy, in Russia privately think she's done. Once all the people with influence and power think you're done, you're done, even if it shouldn't be true. I don't think Vasiliev is one of these people but I can't help but wonder who else thinks what he does. I makes her comeback even harder then it already is with all the depth Russia has and I hate the idea of seeing her quit :(

As for the idea of Julia as a pairs skater, Tamara Moskvina did some great things with girls who were ultra flexible. The lifts would be to die for :love: Still I prefer to see Julia back on top as a singles skater ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not too sure about that theory regarding the Russian fed, considering Alena Leonova is still competing, and her last major international success was in 2012.

Mind you, unlike others, I see no problem with Alena's continued passion and drive for the sport, though of course, others do take issue with it.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Rather, the more flexible one is, the higher level the of muscle development that is required to stabilize and control movement, because the skater or dancer can't rely on inflexibility to provide limits for movement.

Simply put: more flexibility >>> more training of muscles surrounding the area of flexibility to avoid risk of injury.....for life

As an example, let's consider someone who has hyperflexible knees that can bend backwards -- double jointed in common language-- can get injured when the knees bend backwards unintentionally. So that person needs to maintain a higher degree of muscle development around the entire knee to compensate.

Also wasn't intending to suggest that Yulia wasn't putting enough training into her other elements, just that hyperflexibility has its risks that are established, and demands extra training time.

To put it in perspective, as a parent of two very naturally flexible skaters, I constantly weigh the trade off as our kids push their flexibility. When other parents remark positively to what our kids can do, I am almost always moved to say that it comes with a price. But at the same time, one of them is so flexible that a high level of training had to happen anyway or there wouldn't be enough stability to do the things an average non-skating kid can do safely.

That's fascinating. Thank you for sharing this.

Layback11

Record Breaker
:hopelessness:

In theory, it's not a bad idea, but a typical preschooler's excuse works well here:

I DON'T WANNA! :tantrum:

I feel like the areas that Yulia shines in would be totally lost on a pairs skater. How could she showcase her spins, spirals, and other "flexibility moves" in a pairs program, since pretty much no man is flexible enough to do those moves as part of a SBS element? (Although, I must admit, her death spiral and lift positions would be absolutely killer.)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sad how fast they write her off. Great system over there.

Who is "they"? She is still in the national team and receiving funding. What else do you want? One coach suggested she should consider switching disciplines, so what? It means nothing at all.

liv

Record Breaker
He is not totally off base. She has the jumps, flexibilty, size, charisma... he is a pairs guy, always looking for talented females to build a team around. I hope she continues her singles career with much success, but if that does not work out, for whatever reason, I would love to see her try it. Yes, we would lose her trademark spins, but we would see a whole new side of her and her skating. I can imagine such a team could be very interesting, unique...and successful...That being said, I doubt she would ever consider it.