Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Just like Sasha Cohen did back in 2000. I personally don't think Yulia's jump ability have the power to lift high enough on the air to complete four full rotations. Good luck.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think think she isn't done growing and her current technique is going to be problematic for rotating triples already when she gets old. A quad, I think, is out of the question unless she jumps much bigger or is like Sasha Cohen who maintained her tiny body when she got older.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Most will not risk << on 3a and same with any quad. Too much risk for <<. When miki ando tried quad salchows technical callers wouldn't even do 4S< they would just say 3S!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hmmmm ... Yulia needs greater height to pull it off. I could see Adelina more likely doing it at this point. I hope Yulia doesn't wear herself out trying for the quad, though! Give her a couple of years more to develop more muscle?

flyushka

Rinkside
Well, I mean, we hear this kind of thing a lot and it doesn't usually come to pass. I remember Lipinski's coach telling the media she was going to be doing quad sal and quad loop while she was still in juniors. Skaters do like to have a new jump to work on; it must be a little dull once you've mastered all the triples unless you're trying something new and crazy (hopefully safely) on the harness. And in fairness to Julia, the toe is one of her bigger jumps - we're usually seeing it on the back end of a combination and it's bigger than the preceding lutz. With her nice quick rotation speed I could see them giving it a try, but I'll eat my hat if it ever sees the light of day.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm worried about injuries, too, but Eteri seems really an organized and serious coach who knows what she's doing and plans everything out, so I don't think that she would allow Julia to try things that are actually too tisky for her body...
Anyway, if she actually landed it, it would be the first 4T ever for a girl (there was Bonaly, yes, but her quads were always <<, sometimes close to < but never even remotely landed)!! :popcorn:
But, overall, the wrong edge in the lutz and the poor 2A technique are her biggest technical problems, so she should focus on them: given her consistency, just imagine a clean 7-triples FS without edge calls and with a good 2A... She can be :points: even without any "supernatural jump" ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only thing I have to say about this is,...get ready to debate a wonky 4t on this forum right. Seriously if she wasn't such a determined kid I'd laugh it off....but she may have one big chip on her shoulder. I just hope she has a long career and this might not help that in any way. Good luck to her anyway.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is her coach living in an alternate reality or something? Julia's triples are TINY. There's no way she has enough height for a quad.

As others in this thead have said, there are more important problems that need fixing first - her flutz, her 2A, her general jump height, and gee, people complain about Max Aaron but holy hang at least he hears the music. I feel like you could put any music on in the background and Julia wouldn't blink and just keep skating.

Julia's jumps are, at present, the sort that will never survive puberty. Too much reliance on a twig body to rotate fast. That needs fixing ASAP, before she starts growing, which should be in the next year or so.

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
Currently 3LZ +3T combination has become something standard. Asada is to retire with their 3A. Few ladies are accomplishing a correct 3LZ. See someone try a quad is really fantastic. But I was appalled to learn that Julia wants to try it. She is still growing (is a child of 15 years) and this can hinder it to him instead of helping. It seems that the growth of Julia in artistic skating is being pushed in a frightening way. She is a girl and just need to skate clean and deliver a distinctive artistic content. If Etheri want to continue to make a great career for Julia, who did not seek shortcuts but hard work to clean programs.
:popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
just imagine a clean 7-triples FS without edge calls and with a good 2A... She can be :points: even without any "supernatural jump" ;)

Been there, done that. I like that she's pushing herself, even if she doesn't seem to be capable of it given her current jumps.

You never know though... a lot of skaters improve their jumping later on in their careers.

ingofan1

Rinkside
She barely gets of the ice with those tiny jumps.Wait till the puberty monster hits.I think she got a big head wit those inflated scores.She got a plus GOE for her Axel are you kidding me.It is just ridiculous the marks she recieved.

caelum

On the Ice
I'm just going to paraphrase what I said in a thread about Adelina -

I doubt Yulia will ever hit the quad consistently in competition. Training a quad to competitive levels has a large chance for injury, and I worry about that a lot. Her jumps, for now, are really quite shallow so I'd be shocked if she could even come close to a fully-rotated quad. Further, even if she did manage to train a 4T to competitive levels without substantial injury, it's tricky to include it in a program. Not only is there the difficulty of just landing the quad with all the anxiety and pressure that comes with competition, but a quad is very draining. I think it will be enormously difficult for a woman to open with a fully-rotated 4T and then deliver a remaining program with quality jumps and decent footwork for +GOE. If a women wanted to include a 4T, they will probably have to water down the rest of their jumping content, so it's likely a wash, or possibly a loss, by then. Since a 4T is basically the same as a 3Lz + 3T, and possibly less depending on how the GOE is awarded, is seems there is only a significant advantage to doing the 4T for Yulia (given her current layout) if you replace some other jumps with another 3Lz and maybe add another 2T to something. But that is just insanely demanding and I don't think a Yulia, or maybe any women, could handle it. Plus, if she were to fall on an opening 4T, the whole program would probably collapse.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alright. I just read this article on Yulia's VK page and all I took out of it was this.

1) Yulia had to take a lot of family issues reported in the news with a grain of salt and certain revelations came out a day before the individuals(possibly related to her dad who abandoned before she was born)although never specified.

2) Eteri acknowledge that Yulia is capable of doing a quad toe loop but that it was not more important than her health. Eteri did not bring it up but was cornered into answering it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Alright. I just read this article on Yulia's VK page and all I took out of it was this.

1) Yulia had to take a lot of family issues reported in the news with a grain of salt and certain revelations came out a day before the individuals(possibly related to her dad who abandoned before she was born)although never specified.

2) Eteri acknowledge that Yulia is capable of doing a quad toe loop but that it was not more important than her health. Eteri did not bring it up but was cornered into answering it.

This might be old news but here is some more info: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/julia-...appointing-singles-performance-203503307.html

And this too: http://www.seattlepi.com/technology...tskaya-s-Coach-Says-Russian-Media-5262369.php

Chamazing

Rinkside
learning Quad is so easy for Lip..... she should go to Quin.... but hey Adelina S will make sure that she is the greatest she will go to Six.... :bow::clap::points:

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackPack

Medalist
There's a video of Miki Ando landing an under-rotated quad on Youtube. Paul Wylie comments it's UR, and Terry Gannon responds, "You're such a killjoy" :laugh: