Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads

Bartek

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen's jumps were tiny too and she managed a quad a few times (in practice).

Sasha Cohen's jumps were not tiny. She got similar height to Michelle Kwan which is average. Yulia's jumps are tiny indeed. When her breasts and hips develop she might have a very hard time sustaining their consistency.

This is the only woman recorded to have nailed clean, fully rotated quads in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR68Q4X45hg

anyanka

Record Breaker
There's a video of Miki Ando landing an under-rotated quad on Youtube. Paul Wylie comments it's UR, and Terry Gannon responds, "You're such a killjoy" :laugh:

Also, Surya went for the quad in 1992 FS Albertville. Scott hollered, "She went for it! It's cheated by half a turn!" and she raised her arms in triumph.

I still love her matador costume from that year. What do they say on Absolutely Fabulous? "It's Lacroix, sweetie, Lacroix!"

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
:rolleye: :disapp: , she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie

But did you see her triple-toes in the gala? Four triple-toes (three of them in a row) in the spotlights after falling for the first time in competition and yet they were perfectly amazing. I mean she's never done a solo one in her programs before but we all have noticed that her second triple (a triple-toe) goes higher than the first jump in combination, right? When other skaters can lose height she gains it. And if you go back to Junior World her triple-toe popped even higher than it does now. Anyone think that the reason she doesn't go quite as high now is spending less energy when what she accomplishes with that jump is already impressive? Judging from what I saw in the gala and from what she can do when she sets her mind to it, I bet in 6-7 months she could make some incredible progress. Sasha Cohen landed quads, after all, and Yulia is much more consistent on jumps. Besides, Yulia is too much of a perfectionist to put in a program unless she is pretty sure she can rotate and land it. Remember the doubts about the triple lutz-triple-toe, but shes rotated and landed it easily I doubt she would go for the 4 Salchow though because it's her most unstable jump.

:rolleye: :disapp: , she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie

Her rotation speed on the jumps in insanely fast. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up mastering a 4toe at least at some point.

elif

Medalist
I'm just going to paraphrase what I said in a thread about Adelina -

I doubt Yulia will ever hit the quad consistently in competition. Training a quad to competitive levels has a large chance for injury, and I worry about that a lot. Her jumps, for now, are really quite shallow so I'd be shocked if she could even come close to a fully-rotated quad. Further, even if she did manage to train a 4T to competitive levels without substantial injury, it's tricky to include it in a program. Not only is there the difficulty of just landing the quad with all the anxiety and pressure that comes with competition, but a quad is very draining. I think it will be enormously difficult for a woman to open with a fully-rotated 4T and then deliver a remaining program with quality jumps and decent footwork for +GOE. If a women wanted to include a 4T, they will probably have to water down the rest of their jumping content, so it's likely a wash, or possibly a loss, by then. Since a 4T is basically the same as a 3Lz + 3T, and possibly less depending on how the GOE is awarded, is seems there is only a significant advantage to doing the 4T for Yulia (given her current layout) if you replace some other jumps with another 3Lz and maybe add another 2T to something. But that is just insanely demanding and I don't think a Yulia, or maybe any women, could handle it. Plus, if she were to fall on an opening 4T, the whole program would probably collapse.

Do you think new, more light (in weight) skates can help? I know several world smimming records were broken with new swimsuit.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia is tiny, with a tiny, undeveloped body and she has tiny jumps that she gets around with quick rotations. Once she develops hips she is going to have problems with quick rotations even for triples, never mind quads. She is going to be forced to overhaul her jump technique and that will disrupt her competitive career for a time.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Julia is tiny, with a tiny, undeveloped body and she has tiny jumps that she gets around with quick rotations. Once she develops hips she is going to have problems with quick rotations even for triples, never mind quads. She is going to be forced to overhaul her jump technique and that will disrupt her competitive career for a time.

I keep hearing she went through her growth spurts last season, hence she had a tough second part of 2012/13. But to me she still looks tiny. What will happen to her trademark flexibility once she gains muscle and develops further?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Do you think new, more light (in weight) skates can help? I know several world smimming records were broken with new swimsuit.

If we look at speed skating, the clap skate revolutionized the sport since it changed the basic stroking of the sport. A lot of the incremental improvements in modern figure skating have been through computer software like Dartfish and specialized equipment, such as blade sharpeners that apply different amounts of pressure to certain parts of the blade.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Growth spurts are not just getting taller but filling out also. Remember how petite Mirai was at 16? The next couple years her body continued to change and so it will for Julia being only 15.

Olympic

On the Ice
A quad w/ that jump technique when she is still expected to grow / fill-out? Her coach is either blowing smoke or is smoking something :jaw:

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe this should go in the "stupid question" thread :) , but...

Would training the quad - merely training it, not with the aim of necessarily putting it into a competiton (though I would love it if some lady did that some day!) - help her gain elevation on her triple? Or would it hinder/hurt her technique in some way? Just curious. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The funny thing is when I translated this article from a Russian news source it's seems taken way out of context. The reporter was asking about training and goals and seemed to maybe get on Eteri's last Russian nerve! I think it was snarky like "well if Yulia wants to try 4t I'm sure she can". I didn't take the comment to be of fact but more of nonsensical remark. I will say I could see her staying the same size for a long time to come. Here she is at 11 and wow has she grown in 4yrs. http://youtu.be/rSof5IXyvFo (spiral at 1:11 is amazing)

Am I really the only one who knows girls in their mid 20's who have similar size and shape? My grandma would blow your mind if you say no!!

I'm not sure a quad is really on the table but I won't count this kid out of anything. :popcorn: