Looks like Hughes wants to compete again (article) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Looks like Hughes wants to compete again (article)

soogar

Record Breaker
Irina is also 4" shorter than Sarah. Sarah is now 5'6 and has an ample chest. Though there are some tall girls with really big triples (Vika Volchkova, Shizuka and Miki), most of the ladies are in the 5'0-5'2 range. I think Sarah was really lucky that she was able to delay puberty through training and diet until the Olympics. I see the same fate befalling her sister Emily as well. Though the timing is off for Emily already and I don't see her competing in the Olympics unless she makes it in 2006. Sarah can try for 2010 but I don't see much hope for her. However maybe as a result of this training, she can get the satisfaction of getting some of her triples back and can perform them in the show.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily is much bigger than Sarah was at 15, and I think she's already gone through some of the puberty problems. Emily was 11th at Nationals-Junior in 2002 and 2003 but finished 5th at Sectionals-Junior in 2004 and didn't make it to Nationals. The results last year may have been the result of rapid growth and change.

Of course, it's still possible that Emily has more changes ahead. Both Hugheses seem to take after their father, who is tall and a bit on the heavy side, rather than their mother, who is petite.

soogar

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Emily is much bigger than Sarah was at 15, and I think she's already gone through some of the puberty problems. Emily was 11th at Nationals-Junior in 2002 and 2003 but finished 5th at Sectionals-Junior in 2004 and didn't make it to Nationals. The results last year may have been the result of rapid growth and change.

Of course, it's still possible that Emily has more changes ahead. Both Hugheses seem to take after their father, who is tall and a bit on the heavy side, rather than their mother, who is petite.

Emily is undergoing puberty and while I think she has most of her growing done, judging from Sarah's frame (and the rest of the family), I think she might grow another inch and then fill out significantly on top. She already has a large frame which is already impacting her jumps. Her jumps are high and she looks like she'll have a lot of strength in her legs, but I'm not sure (though I hope) that leg strength will be enough to compensate for the disadvantage of her body type.