Lyrics allowed in all FS competition programs starting next season-am I the last to know? | Golden Skate

Lyrics allowed in all FS competition programs starting next season-am I the last to know?

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Lyrics allowed in all FS competition programs starting next season-am I the last to know?

Hi all,

As conversation on here has been more or less dominated by the results of the ladies figure skating competition, some other pretty crucial stories appear to have slipped under the radar (and please forgive me if I just didn't see the thread about this story, which I just noticed on the New York Times site today - I've been coming on here pretty regularly). Apparently, starting next season, music with lyrics will be allowed in all four figure-skating disciplines. Thoughts? I kind of liked the fact that you couldn't lean on what singers did in a piece of music and had to create your own magic (or not), but then again, there have been some very special exhibition programs skated to vocal music, some very emotional (MK's Fields of Gold, for instance) others delightfully quirky (Sasha's Hernando's Hideaway), and there are many more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/s...y-in-blue-or-rap-skating-will-add-vocals.html

How do you feel about this change, and in your opinion, will it achieve the desired result of raising the profile of figure skating in a good way?

cheers,
sarah

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this was decided a few years ago IIRC. I'm not a huge fan of the idea because we're going to end up with some really lame choices, but it is what it is.

daphna

On the Ice
Obviously, I'm the last to know.. I'm not against the idea, but i hope it doesn't hurt the competitiveness of the real competitions.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
You guys obviously didn't watch figure skating on german TV the last few weeks. After every skate our dear commentator mentioned "Did you know? There will be Vocals allowed next season! Like in Ice Dance. I don't like old fashioned classics but I am afraid skating competitions will turn into ice shows now....blablabla" Really, I lost count about how often he said that. What are your commentators talking about?:slink:

What can we expect? Hopefully Adelina won't bother with Christina Aguilera VOCALS this time. Anyway, I'm curious!

this was decided a few years ago IIRC. I'm not a huge fan of the idea because we're going to end up with some really lame choices, but it is what it is.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how it goes! :) I'm betting there'll be some really cool programs....and some that I'll be muting, haha

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
skating with lyrics.
great :sarcasm: like Aguilera's screams and wailing werent bad enough already

so does this mean they can mouth the lyrics too while skating ?
terrible

ToxicSlave

Spectator
skating with lyrics.
great :sarcasm: like Aguilera's screams and wailing werent bad enough already

so does this mean they can mouth the lyrics too while skating ?
terrible

Hey, don't mock Christina! Though I must confess I was always more of a Britney fan.

Anyway, I'm kind of undecided as to whether this would hurt or help...

LRK

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm rather sceptical.... (understatement of the year) Especially since I generally don't really like the choices that are made for gala performances. I dread a lot of mediocre covers to old songs (I don't know, but many modern singers seem to believe that the song is more about their voice - "don't I have a wonderful voice? listen while I exercise it!" - than the feeling of the song - but then, that may be, as they say, "just me")... and a lot of Michael Buble - no offence to his fans, but I'm not sure how much of that I could take... Also, for me, songs I don't like tend to be more bearable in their instrumental form, than if I have the song inflicted on me as well. So, in short, I'm not looking forward to this. Note that I am not excluding the possibility of some excellent choices - but I'm not sure, on the whole, I'd not enjoy those as much without the actual song.

usethis2

Medalist
So Yuna and Mao will have another distinction on their names and careers. Good.

I am not sure about lyrics - I think I will have to see. But I did think the skating world need some modernization. Music and costumes are stuck in 1940's.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm rather sceptical.... (understatement of the year) Especially since I generally don't really like the choices that are made for gala performances. I dread a lot of mediocre covers to old songs (I don't know, but many modern singers seem to believe that the song is more about their voice - "don't I have a wonderful voice? listen while I exercise it!" - than the feeling of the song - but then, that may be, as they say, "just me")... and a lot of Michael Buble - no offence to his fans, but I'm not sure how much of that I could take... Also, for me, songs I don't like tend to be more bearable in their instrumental form, than if I have the song inflicted on me as well. So, in short, I'm not looking forward to this. Note that I am not excluding the possibility of some excellent choices - but I'm not sure, on the whole, I'd not enjoy those as much without the actual song.

Thisl. Plus i expect that at least three skaters will have the same song, one in top 40 last years and one i already hate because too much radio play...
Somehów i find the skaters and their choreogrphs pretty lame and boring in their music choices. The galas from this years were full with boring boring boring songs and when the song could be good they choose a boring cover of it.

I expect as well a lot of O Fortuna, E lucevan le stelle, Va pensiero, Brindisi, Arie from Zauberflöte and variation of the same thema and known songs.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Excuse my ignorance but this has been bothering me for a long time: Why were Davis and White allowed vocals in POTO in 2010?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Be prepared for a lot of free skates to Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", everyone! The hands and shuffle towards the judges in re-enactments of the videos ... gonna be either the worst thing, or best worst thing ever.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Excuse my ignorance but this has been bothering me for a long time: Why were Davis and White allowed vocals in POTO in 2010?

Ice Dance has had lyrics allowed for a long time.

Personally, I don't like the idea of it. I think it will kill musical interpretation. Some skaters will get "lazy" and just lean on the lyrics, never interpreting outside that. And if we thought the blow-up after this Olympics was bad, imagine if, at the next Olympics, Skater A goes with traditional classical music, skates beautifully, and beats a clean skate from Skater B who skated to a song that was ludicrously popular.

(Actually, I just had a shudderingly awful, horrifying thought. Beliebers and Directioners. Hoardes of stupid little airheaded teenagers who would "love" en masse any skater who skated to one of their songs and "take down" any competitor, or judge who marked them down. Yuna fans got nothin'...)