Lyrics allowed in all FS competition programs starting next season-am I the last to know? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lyrics allowed in all FS competition programs starting next season-am I the last to know?

Barb

Record Breaker
Excuse my ignorance but this has been bothering me for a long time: Why were Davis and White allowed vocals in POTO in 2010?

In ice dance is allowed vocals, in fact I dont understand why people have doubts about vocals at individuals, what is different to ice dancing?, they are using vocals a lot of times, and I dont think they will be using Taylor Swift or someone like that.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
In ice dance is allowed vocals, in fact I dont understand why people have doubts about vocals at individuals, what is different to ice dancing?, they are using vocals a lot of times, and I dont think they will be using Taylor Swift or someone like that.

Okay, I was sure I remembered reading that it was just change last year or the year before, but it must have been wrong. Right, Tessa & Scott also had lyrics in 2012, whoops.

LRK

Record Breaker

Well, in my case I don't watch ice dance, and having lyrics is no inducement. ;)

But also, I assume that in ice dance, people would have to choose suitable music for... well.... dancing? Other figure skaters don't need to do that. They could choose some soppy song and skate around and look Soulful....

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
I think it's a good idea if executed in a manner that in agreement with the sport figure skating. Nothing the Broadway shows, hits of the moment (Gungnam Style that was an example) and super stars. Just something to marry all elements and provide something artistic.:rolleye:
Something about the culture of each skater or songs related to sports and artistic presentation with content.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
(Actually, I just had a shudderingly awful, horrifying thought. Beliebers and Directioners. Hoardes of stupid little airheaded teenagers who would "love" en masse any skater who skated to one of their songs and "take down" any competitor, or judge who marked them down. Yuna fans got nothin'...)
:laugh:
I know, I know, not funny.......... but still :laugh:

(Gungnam Style that was an example)
now THAT's a scary thought

Icey

Record Breaker
I doubt you will be the last to know, but the information has been out for awhile.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm hoping this will diversify some of the programs. I'm really sick of all the classical pieces ad nauseum and am glad when you get skaters trying Pink Floyd and Prince.

There is SO much music out there and yet we see a million Swans and Carmens.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
And skaters miming the lyrics. Ooh boy. :unsure:

Skaters miming the lyrics -- dang, that could get scary!

I was just thinking that it would be fun to see some programs w/ Sondheim lyrics. Then "Sweeney Todd" came to mind and I got really scared.:biggrin:

usethis2

Medalist
I'm hoping this will diversify some of the programs. I'm really sick of all the classical pieces ad nauseum and am glad when you get skaters trying Pink Floyd and Prince.

There is SO much music out there and yet we see a million Swans and Carmens.

Why do skaters pick such cliche'd music all the time? I have to wonder. It's not like all the classics have been used up or something. Does anyone have a theory?

Why do skaters pick such cliche'd music all the time? I have to wonder. It's not like all the classics have been used up or something. Does anyone have a theory?

Maybe it's because they grow up going to programs and watching their older favorite skaters; and fall in love with a piece of music because of a performance they saw? I really have no idea, but I could see that influencing some people.

This is bad. If we want to listen to popular vocal music, all we have to do is turn on the radio.

The cool thing about figure skating is, it is the only chance kids have to hear classical music.

ks777

Record Breaker
I think it's good idea. the skaters can express the music better and the audience can relate to the music much better.