Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

janetfan

Match Penalty
according to one of his latest interview, he's not focusing strictly on winning. Sounds like he's got a pretty good idea of what he's capable of.

On top of that he is the returning OC in a "sport" that even it's best fans can admit is a "reputation" sport.

Even without a quad, the way Evan skated in Vancouver would make him a podium threat at GP',s Natls even Worlds IMO.

I may like Javi but don't see his skating - even with 3 quads - anywhere near as strong as a healthy Evan.

I say that based in part on Javi's breakout season but somewhat disappointing placements.

Javi, and most of the others just can't show the overall CoP skating strength we see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJgGHIoawU

Add on the PRESSURE and sorry to say most of everyone's favorites fade a level or TWO..TWO...THREE....FOUR :)

I love to read the new posts that say "8-12 skaters are better than Evan" :cool:

Sorry but I read the same baloney leading into Vancouver and I haven't forgotten the wildly wrong predictions of BOP.
I mention BOP because I know he knows skating and I respect most of his opinions.

But in the sporting world results - not to mention competitive abilty - trump OPINIONS every time. :yes:

Why do you doubters think you know more than Mishin who made it clear Evan's return is of great interest!

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside
I wonder if Lyasecek's comeback will actually materialize. He's going to need the quad to be competitive most likely, with the rate all these youngsters keep going for it, and I just don't know if his body can handle the burdens of training anymore. He's always been injury prone, he is really tall for the sport, and he isn't getting younger. I mean, he's already won Worlds, the GPF, and the Olympics, what more is he trying to win? And honestly, his chances of repeating as any of those things is pretty slim at this point given his history with the 3a and 4t and what the current men are putting out on the ice.

Evan isn't the kind of person to announce a definitive comeback and attempt for Sochi at the summer Olympics if there were any major questions remaining about his abilities/skating. You better believe he and his coach got his jumps back, had him doing a full free skate, and at least 50/50 on the quad before they ever announced it in front of that many people. They know what is needed to do well now and he seems to be focusing more on doing it because he loves it rather than winning anyways. He wants to do it and frankly, our current crop of mens skaters could use a kick in the pants.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Even Evan fans said he had a slim chance of winning in 2010 - mainly due to the idea of "reputation" of another "comeback skater" - we were plesantly surprised that night in Feb.

If anything I've learned that no one is a lock for anything, so I don't presume anyone is a real favorite to win... might be a naive approach, but then I don't sit and pout about what I think might happen. (I just pout afterwards LOL)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Evan isn't the kind of person to announce a definitive comeback and attempt for Sochi at the summer Olympics if there were any major questions remaining about his abilities/skating. You better believe he and his coach got his jumps back, had him doing a full free skate, and at least 50/50 on the quad before they ever announced it in front of that many people. They know what is needed to do well now and he seems to be focusing more on doing it because he loves it rather than winning anyways. He wants to do it and frankly, our current crop of mens skaters could use a kick in the pants.

I don't see what Evan's personality has to do with it. :think:

Either he will score well enough under the CoP or he won't.

I could GUESS there is more money to be made and he is interested in that if he has a successful return.....but since I don't know Evan personally it is just a guess.

I don't forget that Plushy said it did not matter where he placed in Vancouver.......:biggrin:

Of course it mattered to him.....and it mattered alot. $$$$$$$

I don't buy that Evan is simply returning for "the joy of skating." sheesh :confused:

Just like there was a great deal of money involved in Plushy's return the same is true for Evan.

Olympic skating is no longer about "glory" as much as it is about earning potential. $$$$$$$

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside
Even Evan fans said he had a slim chance of winning in 2010 - mainly due to the idea of "reputation" of another "comeback skater" - we were plesantly surprised that night in Feb.

If anything I've learned that no one is a lock for anything, so I don't presume anyone is a real favorite to win... might be a naive approach, but then I don't sit and pout about what I think might happen. (I just pout afterwards LOL)

I agree that there are no locks (except maybe PChan most of the last few years). The thing some people also forget is that there is a difference between ability and execution, capability and performance. We can debate all day long about who has better skills, or who has better jumps, but when it comes down to it-its who performs the best on that night. There are plenty of skaters who may have superior abilities compared to others (no names), but who cant for the life of them execute in competition. If it were solely based on what one was capable of doing, they wouldn't even bother holding the competition.

skatefan12

Rinkside
I don't see what Evan's personality has to do with it. :think:

Either he will score well enough under the CoP or he won't.

I could GUESS there is more money to be made and he is interested in that if he has a successful return.....but since I don't know Evan personally it is just a guess.

I don't forget that Plushy said it did not matter where he placed in Vancouver.......:biggrin:

I don't buy that Evan is simply returning for "the joy of skating." sheesh :confused:

Just like there was a great deal of money involved in Plushy's return the same is true for Evan.

Olympic skating is no longer about "glory" as much as it is about earning potential. $$$$$$$

I wasn't referring to his personality. By "kind of person" I meant that he usually plans everything out and has a concrete plan before announcing anything. It just means I doubt he would have announced comeback if his skating wasn't up to par (the current par).

Secondly-sure, there is money. But who are you to say that there isn't personal motivation as well. Like you said, we dont know him.

If he can still perform well, I dont see why its a bad thing that he comes back, money or no.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I wasn't referring to his personality. By "kind of person" I meant that he usually plans everything out and has a concrete plan before announcing anything. It just means I doubt he would have announced comeback if his skating wasn't up to par (the current par).

Secondly-sure, there is money. But who are you to say that there isn't personal motivation as well. Like you said, we dont know him.

If he can still perform well, I dont see why its a bad thing that he comes back, money or no.

I don't think it is a bad thing for Evan to make a comeback. :confused:

But I am not naive enough to think he is doing it for the "glory of it."

Of course it is about money......money ....and more money.....

Isn't that what the Olympics are about? $$$$

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Neither do I. If Yagudin or Plushenko said it, I'd believe it, but not Lysacek, especially after the delay of his comeback from last year because of the failed negotiation.

according to one of his latest interview, he's not focusing strictly on winning. Sounds like he's got a pretty good idea of what he's capable of.

I suspect that his reason to comeback, if there is a reason besides money, is to beat Plushenko and all other "old" guys in Sochi.;) He is not going to win 2014 Olympics like he said, "...to defend my title in Sochi". He simply does not have the ability to defend his title. He knows that. But he might think that he has a chance to beat Plushenko. If Plushenko is in fifth but he's in fourth, it'll be his victory. If Plushenko is in eighth but he's in seventh, it'll be his victory, too. He'll be going home and very happy.

Reason: 1. Many were not convinced with his 2010 Olympic win. He may want to beat the Russian's idol in front of the Russians to prove that he is indeed better. 2. He may think even though his "old" body cannot take the challenges from current youngsters for the podium, he can still compete with the "old" guys like Plushenko, Joubert, and of course definitely Johnny Weir (well, Weir might not be able to go to Sochi, but Lysacek can beat him at US Nationals). There could be a "subcompetition" in the minds of these comebackers. And in the meantime, of course, hope for the best - to try to get on the podium.

Will the old Lysacek beat old Plushenko? I don't know. I have to watch them compete this coming season even though in different competitions in order to get better ideas. Three years ago, I wouldn't have even considered Lysacek a Plushenko's competitor. But now, I'm forced to put them together and compare.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know that Plush is the one he's competing against... I had a nagging feeling when he announced that it was because Johnny came back :laugh: all of a sudden it was like "screw the money, if Weir can do it then I darn well better be able to" :laugh: of course this is my comical view of the whole thing. I don't care what the reason is, I'm just glad my eye candy is back. :love:

skatefan12

Rinkside
I don't know that Plush is the one he's competing against... I had a nagging feeling when he announced that it was because Johnny came back :laugh: all of a sudden it was like "screw the money, if Weir can do it then I darn well better be able to" :laugh: of course this is my comical view of the whole thing. I don't care what the reason is, I'm just glad my eye candy is back. :love:

Not that it would ever happen-but in my comical view of the whole thing, Evan and Johnny put aside their differences and team up to battle the younger crop of skaters in a battle of the old v. new guard :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I don't think, when Plushy returned to skating, his motivation was the money.

He wanted to be the best again.

Of course, everybody loves the money, but Plushy earned 1,7 million $ in 2010, 1,3 million $ in 2011, 1,5million $ in 2012. (It's not secret, we can read in the Russian Forbes Magazine.)

So, isn't too much difference. If he didn't return to skate, he would have earned enough money, because he is the part of the Russian show business, he had own show on TV, he has a lot of invitation to other shows, he has own ice show( KOI), he advertised many things, because he is a big advertising. :) etc.

Oh and I forgot, he has a beautiful and famous wife who is a producer, and successful businesswoman. Isn't motivated by the money, believe me.

Swiss made, Champion's Diver Plushenko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvj_7HJVmRA

I want one, but I can't afford. :laugh: Approx $ 11,000

( I hope you can read my post :) )

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think, when Plushy returned to skating, his motivation was the money.

He wanted to be the best again.

Of course, everybody loves the money, but Plushy earned 1,7 million $ in 2010, 1,3 million $ in 2011, 1,5million $ in 2012. (It's not secret, we can read in the Russian Forbes Magazine.)

So, isn't too much difference. If he didn't return to skate, he would have earned enough money, because he is the part of the Russian show business, he had own show on TV, he have a lot

of invitation to other shows, he has own ice show( KOI), he advertised many things, because he is a big advertising. etc.

Oh and I forgot, he has a wife who is a producer, and successful businesswoman. Isn't motivated by the money, believe me.

Swiss made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvj_7HJVmRA

I want one, but I can't afford. :laugh: Approx $ 11,000

( I hope you can read my post :) )

Hoping someday you will get the watch :)

Maybe it is true that motivation for skating and competing is at the heart of these comebacks.
Evan certainly did well after winning the OGM and he may miss the training and competing.

In the case of Plushy didn't he need alot of medical treatment and surgeries to continue skating?
By returning to competiton did he get the Russian Fed to pay those bills :think:

Smart boy ;)

My experience has been the more money you have the more you want. That may not be true for everbody ....it just seems that way.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hoping someday you will get the watch :)

Maybe it is true that motivation for skating and competing is at the heart of these comebacks.
Evan certainly did well after winning the OGM and he may miss the training and competing.

In the case of Plushy didn't he need alot of medical treatment and surgeries to continue skating?
By returning to competiton did he get the Russian Fed to pay those bills :think:

Smart boy ;)

My experience has been the more money you have the more you want. That may not be true for everbody ....it just seems that way.

Yes, he is very smart, and as I said Plushy has a strong and verrrry smart wife. Either way, if he does not come back, he would not have surgery. He could skate in shows easily.

And In need to say, you aren't only a polite, but very kind person. :agree:You wished me more money. THX! I wish you,too! :)

I don't think it is a bad thing for Evan to make a comeback. :confused:

But I am not naive enough to think he is doing it for the "glory of it."

Of course it is about money......money ....and more money.....

Isn't that what the Olympics are about? $$$$

I'm not all that sure that the money would be any different for an American with two OGMs than with one OGM these days. Plushenko might get rich in Russia with the kind of Olympic career he has, but for Evan in the U.S. currently, I'm not sure that he's going to be swimming in gold by winning Sochi.

Here's my reasoning; Evan has a gold medal, and there are all sorts of endorsements he could have gotten--and did he take advantage of them all? I don't think he did. Not the way Apolo Ohno did. Beyond this argument, there's the fact that in the U.S., men's figure skating is not the guarantee of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that ladies' skating is, or that men's skating is in Russia or Japan. So an extra gold medal will not mean much to Evan's bank account, I think. And it's far from a sure thing, anyway. Look at the skaters he has to beat to get gold: at least two Japanese wonders, Patrick Chan, Plushy, and others.

So to say he's doing it for the money doesn't work for me in this case.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm not all that sure that the money would be any different for an American with two OGMs than with one OGM these days. Plushenko might get rich in Russia with the kind of Olympic career he has, but for Evan in the U.S. currently, I'm not sure that he's going to be swimming in gold by winning Sochi.

Here's my reasoning; Evan has a gold medal, and there are all sorts of endorsements he could have gotten--and did he take advantage of them all? I don't think he did. Not the way Apolo Ohno did. Beyond this argument, there's the fact that in the U.S., men's figure skating is not the guarantee of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that ladies' skating is, or that men's skating is in Russia or Japan. So an extra gold medal will not mean much to Evan's bank account, I think. And it's far from a sure thing, anyway. Look at the skaters he has to beat to get gold: at least two Japanese wonders, Patrick Chan, Plushy, and others.

So to say he's doing it for the money doesn't work for me in this case.

I agree with you in this case, the man fs usually doesn't take too much money.:scowl: I think Evan is in good shape, and he really thinks he will skate well, because the risking more than gain.

I suspect that his reason to comeback, if there is a reason besides money, is to beat Plushenko and all other "old" guys in Sochi. ;)

I can't speak for Lysacek, but if I were in his position I would have the opposite mind set. i would join forces with Plushenko and the other old guys to show all the silly young pups why we've got a gold medal and they don't. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I can't speak for Lysacek, but if I were in his position I would have the opposite mind set. i would join forces with Plushenko and the other old guys to show all the silly young pups why we've got a gold medal and they don't. :laugh:

Maybe after Vancouver Evan is curious to see if he will even be granted permission to enter Russia ;) :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not that it would ever happen-but in my comical view of the whole thing, Evan and Johnny put aside their differences and team up to battle the younger crop of skaters in a battle of the old v. new guard :)

I've thought of that scenario before, too... :laugh:

skatefan12

Rinkside

I soooo wish this would happen :)