Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Many congratulations to Madi & Evan! Wow, honestly who would ever have thought after the 2017-2018 season when they slipped to third in the US, then had the disastrous fall in the Olympics, to a disappointing score at Worlds (even though they skated really well) that they would ever be on top of the podium at Worlds! Their careers have been a roller coaster not only for them, but for their families and fans for sure. It's truly an amazing comeback, one that you rarely see in any individual sport, which makes the achievement at Worlds even more remarkable. They must be over the moon.

I really hope they come back for one more season at least. I liked what H/D did in announcing their retirement at the beginning of the season; it allowed them to enjoy each competition without tons of questions about a potential retirement, and also let the crowds show them the appreciation for their years of contributions to the sport. I think Madi & Evan deserve that, and I hope they are able to give fans that opportunity to say good bye.

On the other hand, I am excited to see what they do next and I've actually been wondering about that. Will they coach and Madi do more costume design? Would they stay in Montreal or would they go to MIDA to reunite with Charlie & Greg? I'm sure they will have a lot of options, I can't imagine them fading from the scene.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another podcast

In it Madi mentions loving the Top Gun soundtrack. Wonder if they will choose this for the RD. I can imagine Take my Breath Away by Berlin and Kenny Loggins Danger Zone to highlight their lifts and acrobatic style.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The 1986 Top Gun soundtrack is definitely a top pick for an 1980's RD 💞💞

"Take My Breath Away" won the Oscar for best song of the year!

And of "Danger Zone" -
The song was one of the hit singles from the soundtrack to the 1986 American film Top Gun, the best-selling soundtrack of 1986, and one of the best-selling of all time.[1][2] According to Allmusic.com, the album "remains a quintessential artifact of the mid-'80s" and the album's hits "still define the bombastic, melodramatic sound that dominated the pop charts of the era".[2]

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oOoOO! That would be awesome! They could be Pilot and copilot in identical costumes.
I can really see Evan doing this which is what made me think this could work. Madi is such a chameleon she could do anything. I also really love the Berlin song for the engaged couple.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Maddy & Evan's keynote speech for the Partnership for Clean Competition.

This is an amazing video! They describe their entire career with slides and include a no commentary video of their complete Olympic team performance - just as breath-taking now as it was on the day- with the surreal setting that seemed just made for their Astronaut and Alien performance: the empty stadium, with the rink boards done up as an eerie windswept, mountainous winter landscape that could well be Planet Ice!

All kinds of facts I did not know; for example, Evan got his first year of ice dance completely paid for by a relative who swapped a year of ice dance coaching for her services as an immigration lawyer for his first coaches!

Here's the team event FD by itself:

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States

humbaba

Final Flight
Madi and Evan are semifinalists for the Sullivan Award. Fanzone article:

Direct link to vote:

Madi and Evan are semifinalists for the Sullivan Award. Fanzone article:

Direct link to vote:

Voted! You can vote once a day through July 19th.

muptgirl

On the Ice
This is so exciting and such a wonderful way for her to contribute to the sport of figure skating. Bur it does make me wonder if this is a small sign that they may not continue this year and instead beginning to move onto post-competitive projects..

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is so exciting and such a wonderful way for her to contribute to the sport of figure skating. Bur it does make me wonder if this is a small sign that they may not continue this year and instead beginning to move onto post-competitive projects..

Maybe, but she may just be aiming to start building it now while she has a higher profile and can keep reminding audiences (actual and virtual) how good her designs can be by wearing them at the highest-level competition. We won't know for a while, I think, but I'll keep fingers crossed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Madison's RD costume: