Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

firal

Record Breaker
Go for the gold! Definitely my two fave programs this year and the NHK crowd will give them lots of love. :luv17:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Loved hearing the CBC commentary! And it was nice to watch it again. Hope they kill it at NHK and get a spot for the GPF!

By the way, their last GP win was at NHK (in 2011), so let's make that happen again!

Flashback time to that winning dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvdfrqP508

slider11

Medalist
Love the Shibs and would love to see another strong skate. That music and choreography suits them well! I appreciate hearing the Canadian commentary. I love the Canadian crowds; their appreciation for good skating is special.

SunDae

Rinkside
I was in that crowd for the Free Dance and it gives me chills just remembering the way the crowd literally broke out into a spontaneous ROAR when they did that 4th twizzles set. I can only describe it as being like a "virtuoso" moment, like when a great opera singer hits a particular note and sustains it with bravura and the true lovers of the art form go wild with appreciation.

Every moment of this program and choreography has the music and lyrics in mind. You discover new details every time you watch. The "blind leap of faith" entry that Maia takes with the entry to the combination lift, for which every change in position coincides with the music. There is so much RAW emotion infused into every phrase.

It was like, strangers in a crowd all of the sudden united by feeling so lucky, to be together sharing a truly special moment.
And not just in sport. But a human moment, because I think so many people know how hard a time it has been for Maia and Alex competitively since their world bronze, seeming to get the short end of the stick or underscored in the minds of skating audiences worldwide.

It was just... I will never ever forget it.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i really hope they will win NHK, i lovee their LP, thinking about those twizzles gives me chills, they love Japan so i hope it will bring them luck :love:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I can't wait to see Maia and Alex. This year their programs are one of my favorites :). And is thrilling the ease with which they perform everything always so consistent and so clean. Hope they keep it that way and I wish them NHK win.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Hoping they win NHK and can't wait to see their FD again. :luv17:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Rooting for the Shibs to take Gold at NHK! Love both of their programs this year!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Good luck to the best dance team rn!:hap10:
Only they could make me wake up @ 6 AM on a sunday;)

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Well, I guess I just wanted to share this. My 8 year old daughter who has been taking ballet for the last 2 years is just now starting to watch ice dance with me. She of course knows nothing about ice dance, but since she does ballet I thought it would be fun for her to rate the top couples for the SD.

This is her ranking (disclaimer: I don't agree with her on a number of things). However, I thought it was very interesting how she rated them. I will say, it was a very difficult decision for her between WP and Shibs :), so I thought the Shibs fan thread would appreciate it.

1. Weaver/Poje
2. Shibutanis
3. Capellini/Lanotte
4. Sinitsina/Katsalapov
5. Stepanova/Bukin
6. Bobrova/Soloviev
7. Chock/Bates
8. Hubbell/Donahue
9. Gilles/Poirier
10. Ilinykh/Zhiganshin

caitie

Medalist
Interesting rankings, tvuckic16.

I'm so nervoussss about tonight. :eeking: I hope they win!