Male skaters skating to music sung by female vocalists | Golden Skate

Male skaters skating to music sung by female vocalists

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Why is it so rare for male skaters to skate to music sung by female vocalists and vice versa? Is it considered inappropriate or something?

Also, it happens quite often that a female skater skates to a song originally sung by a male singer but uses a female cover instead, which really frustrates me sometimes. What's your opinion on that?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We've had vocals for such a short period of time, it's difficult for me to say. At least in the US, the skater needs to like the version and needs to like the song, so their personal taste may come into play.

And Jason Brown and Nina Simone are a match made in figure skating heaven.:love2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
You know, this is an issue in the dance world as well. There are judges who just can't stand to see a Man dance to a Female voice. For some reason, they had no problem with the Ladies dancing to Michael Jackson. If it's not in the rulebook, I say skate to whatever drives you to be your best.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Interesting question. I don't think there is anything inappropriate about it. In my view a male skater can skate to Madonna and a female skater to Elton John, and vice versa in the original versions. I really wouldn't know why female skaters would skate to a cover by a female vocalist, except that the skater prefers the version she is skating to. I truly wouldn't know another reason for now. Frustrating yes maybe, but still her choice. Or his when it's a male skater. Having said that, as @el henry states, vocals haven't been allowed that long. It may take some time. And @mrrice also puts forward an important point. The judges have to like it too (and in Dance presumably it took them some time).

Generally, I prefer the originals (although some covers can be very good!), whether it's a man or a woman. And why shouldn't a woman skate to The Beatles?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's no rule against it. It depends on what inspires the skater/choreographer and music editor.

And as @el henry said earlier, there are men that skate to women's vocals.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Also, it happens quite often that a female skater skates to a song originally sung by a male singer but uses a female cover instead, which really frustrates me sometimes. What's your opinion on that?
I'm fine with whatever makes the skater comfortable, but I wonder if cultural conditioning/lack of imagination might be a factor - like an assumption that to identify with a character and embody it on the ice, that character has to be the same gender as you (supposedly).

In singles skating at least, it does seem to be more common for men to skate to female vocals than vice versa. I was pleasantly surprised when watching Russian junior test skates, I think Veronika Zhilina used the White Stripes' original Seven Nation Army in part of her programme? (Yippee!)

Are there any other examples of female singles skaters using male vocals?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's hard for me because I don't follow the women, but didn't a European lady skate to AC/DC? ETA: sad to say, I never saw it, only read about it.

And I once saw a Mexican skater very few have probably heard of, Sofia DelRio, skate to Nothing Else Matters. I do remember the ones I've seen.:biggrin:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Generally, I prefer the originals (although some covers can be very good!), whether it's a man or a woman. And why shouldn't a woman skate to The Beatles?

Indeed. As a matter of fact, for me, the question is more often, why would anyone skate to a cover of a Beatles song when they could skate to the original? Paul's angelic voice, John's distinctive voice, the exquisite harmonies of John, Paul, and George, Ringo's adorableness ... and the imaginative instrumental music performed in original ways.

Although there are some good candidates here ... starting with Steven Tyler, with "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window ... Golden Slumbers ... The End."

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's hard for me because I don't follow the women, but didn't a European lady skate to AC/DC? ETA: sad to say, I never saw it, only read about it.

And I once saw a Mexican skater very few have probably heard of, Sofia DelRio, skate to Nothing Else Matters. I do remember the ones I've seen.:biggrin:
Yes, that was Ivett Tóth from Hungary that skated to ACDC for her SP in 17-18 season. She's also skated to Bruno Mars and Michael Jackson.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I'm fine with whatever makes the skater comfortable, but I wonder if cultural conditioning/lack of imagination might be a factor - like an assumption that to identify with a character and embody it on the ice, that character has to be the same gender as you (supposedly).

In singles skating at least, it does seem to be more common for men to skate to female vocals than vice versa. I was pleasantly surprised when watching Russian junior test skates, I think Veronika Zhilina used the White Stripes' original Seven Nation Army in part of her programme? (Yippee!)

Are there any other examples of female singles skaters using male vocals?
Well considering Muse’s Exogenesis Symphony is basically a warhorse now, and Ashley Wagner, Evgenia Medvedeva and Kamila Valieva have all skated to Matt Bellamy’s vocals. I also believe Sasha Trusova skated to Matt Bellamy’s vocals in her GOT programme too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Interesting question. I don't think there is anything inappropriate about it. In my view a male skater can skate to Madonna and a female skater to Elton John, and vice versa in the original versions. I really wouldn't know why female skaters would skate to a cover by a female vocalist, except that the skater prefers the version she is skating to. I truly wouldn't know another reason for now. Frustrating yes maybe, but still her choice. Or his when it's a male skater. Having said that, as @el henry states, vocals haven't been allowed that long. It may take some time. And @mrrice also puts forward an important point. The judges have to like it too (and in Dance presumably it took them some time).

Generally, I prefer the originals (although some covers can be very good!), whether it's a man or a woman. And why shouldn't a woman skate to The Beatles?ct
In Fact, it was Madonna's "Vogue" that became the controversary that season. It is said that "Voguing" was invented in Gay Clubs and that's why many men used it for Solo's. It was also very popular in the Ladies event as well. I remember a judge saying "I question if a Male dancer should use such an Obviously Feminine piece of music." I knew it was about to get ugly in the judges room :drama:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Well considering Muse’s Exogenesis Symphony is basically a warhorse now, and Ashley Wagner, Evgenia Medvedeva and Kamila Valieva have all skated to Matt Bellamy’s vocals. I also believe Sasha Trusova skated to Matt Bellamy’s vocals in her GOT programme too.
Thanks, can't believe I forgot about the Muse overload!
Hmm... maybe trends in music choices along gender lines depend more on the genre than the singer's gender? 🤔
Symphonic rock/soundtrack-type music seems to be popular with men and women. Alt rock, hard rock, metal - less common among the ladies. So Ivett Toth's original-vocal AC/DC programme is a rarity, but symphonic covers of Linkin Park and Metallica songs are in fashion. Ditto Hidden Citizens remixes.

Muse's style changed a lot over the years; most of their songs that are popular in skating are from 3 albums: Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations and The Resistance. It would be interesting to see a girl (or skater of any gender really) skate to stuff from Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Misha Ge's "Paint it Black" SP from 2016 although he had to change it mid-season, perhaps from judges suggestion.

Shoma Uno and "Balada para un loco" comes to mind. The vocals are not exactly mainstream, though.

Still today the program i liked the most from him, frequently rewatched it (with a touch more facial expression, it could have been masterpiece)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
In my opinion, it is the lyrics that matter - if the song is very strongly first person gender-specific, then it does feel a little funny seeing the other gender doing it (one example that has stuck in my mind is Daisuke Takahashi doing Björk's Batchelorette as a show program). And sometimes even with those you can stretch the interpretation to come from the other side depending slightly on what the lyrics are about.

What I do find funny is how this mixing of gendered roles has never been a problem with classical music. I think a vast majority of Carmen cuts for male skaters include Habanera which is one of Carmen's arias (though the topic is generally about love). Don Jose's Flower aria is one of the most beautiful lyrical pieces of that opera, but it has not been used in men's programs - Tarasova used it to choreograph a lyrical section for Sasha Cohen's Carmen program (which was kind of amusing also IMO). The most commonly used bits of Tosca are mostly from the men, and for example Tosca's Vissi d'arte has really not been used - except recently in Satoko Miyahara's FS (and sung by Callas). Not to mention all the male swans etc.

I have been surprised how rarely the classical warhorses based on sung music have been used with lyrics after they were allowed in 2014.

E

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm still hoping the "Off Topic" meme will return because this question is off topic. Does anyone have the video of Joshua Farris singing and playing his guitar? I know I saw it somewhere but I can't find it......Thank You in advance