Male skaters with great posture | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Male skaters with great posture

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
John Curry is the gold standard, but Jason Brown has the most beautiful posture of any current skater. And, how can we forget Johnny Weir!
Yeah, I was searching this thread, surprised not to see Johnny Weir mentioned sooner and more often. IMHO, it was when Johnny burst on the scene that he demonstrated to everyone what gorgeous posture in a male skater should look like. This is especially the case on Johnny's jump landings. Previous to Johnny, a lot of male skaters broke at the waist and leaned heavily forward when landing their jumps. Johnny landed effortlessly and smoothly like butter, with amazing erect posture and exceptional rideout. At his peak, Johnny was phenomenal.

It was Johnny's youthful experience as an equestrian competitor which helped him develop great posture. There's no slouching in horseback riding! 🐴 ⛸️

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alex Johnson had so many lovely moments during his career, and he possessed top-notch skating skills. Not everyone is hugely gifted technically. Still, Alex loved singles skating and he truly challenged himself in that discipline. His exquisite gifts probably would have soared in ice dancing, which he also enjoyed and sometimes performed. For whatever reason, he made the choice not to pursue ice dancing competitively at the highest levels.

In the process of challenging himself in men's singles, Alex accomplished a great deal. There were many memorable moments of joy he gave to the audience, in addition to surmounting goals he set for himself that gave him delight and a personal high. This is much more than many individuals experience in a lifetime. Not every athlete gets to or needs to measure their success by color of hardware stash, or number of podium placements in major comps.

What I love about rewatching the Alex Johnson Eleanor Rigby video, is enjoying once again the timelessness of the memorable moments Alex weaved together on the ice. This is why I love figure skating. Alex achieved such a huge personal victory, taking his fans and admirers on the journey with him. The other wonderful thing is re-witnessing his special relationship with coach/ choreographer, Tom Dickson, who was also a lovely skater in his prime. So palpably, there is the passing down of skating's artistic legacy from Dickson's coaches and mentors to Dickson, and on to the many skaters Dickson coached or choreographed for, including Alex, Adam Rippon, Matt Savoie, Jeremy Abbott, Satoko Miyahara, et al.

And now, another generation benefits from the passing down of knowledge, with Alex set to train Camden Pulkinen when he's at school in New York. 🌟 Prior to Camden, Alex choreographed memorable programs for Alexei Krasnozhon. 👍

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Tom Dickson, exquisite skating, and men with great posture, Dickson used to headline with Ice Capades. Here's a blast from the past video clip from one of Dickson's performances to genius George Michael's classic 80s ballad, One More Try. TSL offered this clip in honor of Dickson's July 14 birthday! 🥰

Holy Cow, spectacular...He needs to be on the posture list. I have never seen him skate before. I love it.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Mark Hanretty - his posture and balletic skating has to be up there with John Curry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Labqh9hy0
^^ Oh Wow! 😍 The strength and creativity that entire performance takes cannot be understated. And I suppose even less understood by people who think fs is all about acrobatic jumping. It is NOT! Cheers and kudos to Mark Hanretty, and to ice dancing and to figures practice, and to this aerial form of skating practice, which we see a lot of in Cirque du Soleil skating productions. I'm a fan! :cheer2:

These expanded forms of skating need to be further explored and promoted! 🤞🌟

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Holy Cow, spectacular...He needs to be on the posture list. I have never seen him skate before. I love it.
Yep, he's wonderful. I don't recall seeing Tim Dickson compete. It was in the days before being able to view entire events on streaming services. Television networks routinely chacked skaters. Thus, e.g., I recall seeing Rory Flack's name listed quite often as a U.S. Nat'ls ladies competitor. Yet, despite Rory placing in the top 8 at Nat'ls for many years, I never saw her compete. I didn't even know she was African American until she became a top pro and exhibition skater in the 1990s. 😍

This would be a similar trajectory for Dickson too. Maybe he was on podiums during his career. Or maybe he was always on the cusp due to the depth of talent among U.S. men. All I know is that his talents apparently blossomed and were more on display during his pro skating years and in his choreographic career, which is ongoing.

Another amazing U.S. male skater who reached podiums at U.S. Nat'ls, but who wasn't as well known as his contemporaries such as Boitano, is Scott Williams. 🤩 Scott is famous for briefly coaching/ advising Michelle Kwan in the early 2000s. But he has an amazing body of work as a professional competitor and as a show skater. Linked below is one of my favorite Scott Williams programs, skated to Truly Madly Deeply, and choreographed by the superbly talented genius, Brian Wright, gone but never forgotten R.I.P. 💖 Brian and Scott collaborated on some amazing programs back-in-the-day!!! 👍👏🥰 I wish someone would do a sit-down interview with Scott and catch up with him in his life today. I believe he was married to Charlene Wong--

So smooth, graceful, creative and sexy! 😍💯
This, along with great posture too. Scott was known for his ability to perform those great barrel roll turns! 👀 :cheer2:

Check out all of Scott's uploaded past performances on YouTube!

Last edited:

chaosmyth

Rinkside
Trying to reawaken this thread because I'm new to fs (more like, new to a deeper analysis of fs) and I learned so much from this discussion! My favorite skater is Shoma Uno, and while he did get mentioned here and there there was not much discussion about him... is any of the resident experts here willing to discuss his posture? :)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
If male pair skater is included then Anton Sikharulidze. I think he is one of the best regardless of category. I think most of top male pair skaters in the past has better posture than in single.
Yes and no.
I find they look up better and look better on ice, but often have overly-arched backs when skating (which they need in the lifts of course). That being said, a lot of them of course have stunning posture.

Sastrugi

Rinkside
Trying to reawaken this thread because I'm new to fs (more like, new to a deeper analysis of fs) and I learned so much from this discussion! My favorite skater is Shoma Uno, and while he did get mentioned here and there there was not much discussion about him... is any of the resident experts here willing to discuss his posture? :)
Hop over to Shoma’s Fan Fest, I’m sure someone there has a link to the video of Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue training a young Shoma in posture 🙂