Mao Asada news | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada news

There is no doubt in my mind that Mao is extremely versatile in her skating and performance ability...but Bells of Moscow I agree was a general failure of a program. I did not hate it because "it was convincing"; I hated it because the mismatch with Mao was too strong and impossible for me to overcome. There is something majestic about the music (even if the version of the piece of music is not everyone's favourite), but I honestly can't think of any female skaters who could have pulled it off properly... maybe Plushenko might have made it good. Mao's skating is top-notch; that won't change with music. But as far as chameleon-ability goes, Bells is not a good example. And as for parts of its choreography...no one knows its significance, or why and how the music called for it. It's just there. :sheesh:

Anyway, with Mao's Tango, you can add "whimsical" to "lyrical" and "cutesy". The thing about it, is that I wouldn't even classify it as acting. These seem to be things that Mao just is. I think that's the best part of it all. :)

I agree, and I especially agree with your last paragraph. By "acting," I meant that she is able to portray something, not that she's putting it on--but you've gotten much closer to what she does. She doesn't act, she becomes.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It hasn't just been revealed....It has been pretty well known that Tracy has been in Yuna's camp since 2008. She even spoke about it on a broadcast a couple years ago. Tracy is an excellent commentator and she has also been critical of Yuna's performances. See her commentary at this year's Worlds.

The problem is she kept on bringing it up. First, at the 2008 TEB for the Masquerade LP, then GPF 08, then Worlds 2009, then the entire 2009-2010 season except maybe 2010 worlds. She was repeating the same things every single time, how she hated the music, how Mao didn't have any choreo until the step sequence, etc... In any case, if she's involved with a skater, she shouldn't be doing commentaries, wouldn't you agree?

i love to skate

Medalist
The problem is she kept on bringing it up. First, at the 2008 TEB for the Masquerade LP, then GPF 08, then Worlds 2009, then the entire 2009-2010 season except maybe 2010 worlds. She was repeating the same things every single time, how she hated the music, how Mao didn't have any choreo until the step sequence, etc... In any case, if she's involved with a skater, she shouldn't be doing commentaries, wouldn't you agree?

No I don't. The figure skating World is very small - almost everyone is involved with skaters in one way or another. Just because Tracy is working with a skater does not mean that she is not a great commentator. How does Tracy's commentary affect what happens on the ice and the results? It doesn't.

I agree that heavy, dramatic music does not bring out Mao's best qualities and sometimes her skating has looked laboured in the past. When you compare those programs to the masterpiece she created with the Chopin exhibition piece, it is a world of difference. That is the direction Mao should head in.

I think Tracy is one of the most objective commentators out there - not to mention she is so knowledgeable on the COP and can provide great insight into why a skater received the marks they did.

hurrah

Medalist
I don't agree that Mao did not aptly perform the dramatic heaviness appropriate to Bells. In my book, she did and quite convincingly.

If you consider another piece of music, Masquerade, that was also criticized for its heaviness when Mao did it as her LP, and then consider the fact that her SP, performed to the SAME music, was a joyful, ephemereal performance, it was not the music alone that made Mao's LP performance so heavy and dramatic, it was she herself who made it so (though helped by the music, I'm sure).

It was just that alot of her regular fans who love her for her fluidity and softness didn't like this style (but understood why she had to go through that phase to grow as a skater).

Nadine

Record Breaker
Charming & lovely as always; would honestly enjoy seeing her wearing that Chanel outfit for one of her programs in the future. :)

By the way, looked up her LP music for this season on youtube and it honestly gave me shivers & made my eyes water. So poignant ~ perfect piece for her ~ reminds me of her Debussy piece in a way.

But what really made me sit up & take notice, and had me back on youtube these past few days, was hearing the news about her "program fit for a god!!!!" Lol, I had to go and search for her Olympic LP (which I was never able to find due to the craziness over on youtube; my gosh I honestly wish youtube would do something about this; ban people or countries if they have to!) *mad* Anyhow, I did find her 2010 Worlds LP, but still it didn't give me the rush that her 2010 Olympic LP did ~ those two triple axels, the tension, the moment, that's something I will n-e-v-e-r forget ~ I'm so mad my VCR/DVD went out. :(

Back to this program fit for the gods! This is exactly what I suggested months & months & months ago (I'll have to find my posts & quote them later on). She continues to amaze me ~ her desire to go above & beyond ~ I wouldn't be surprised to see that she has mastered a quad by the time the next Olympics comes round. :)

Until then, I will enjoy watching old programs of hers on youtube...

jasminum

Rinkside
Nadine, you might have seen them already though, meanwhile you wait for her new programs, please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf3LThLXwo
@ PIW 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdvNy7FzK8
@ THE ICE 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMzd-gKWGFc
@ DOI 2010

If you want to watch them from different angles at a time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMg_pG1VnY

It seems that Olympic videos are deleted soon after they are uploaded.
The wall says Nyancouver 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNk9a1VMMk8

You might have missed this. Funny Mao. She's sunshine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpZLuJM_o9Q&feature=related

MrBerkeley

On the Ice
Yeah, I really like Mao and her skating. But the music choice... :disapp: just didn't match her IMO. Still she hadn't been having the best of seasons and then came out in Vancouver and had nearly perfect skate that I think she should absolutely be proud of, even if she may have to wait another 4 years for her dream prize another shot. I was really impressed with her composure throughout but the music was a head scratching choice.

I also think it was a good move to go back to Japan for her. Keep going Mao (although I'm rooting for Mirai to bump her technicals and give you a run for your money I won't root against you. :thumbsup:)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Do you have the videos of the numbers she did with buttle and plushy?? I dont remember the show, i think it is the Ice?

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Yes, it's "The Ice". This year they did the pair programs in the Opening and the Finale instead of having the independent numbers.

Mao and Jeff in the Opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcpw15_sXRw

Mao and Plushenko in the Finale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRUpwXJww8&feature=channel

Thanks so much! These are delightful. Mao really is a wonderful personality on the ice, and this seems like such an inventive, well-planned show. The lighting and costumes are especially fine, I think. It made me happy just to watch.

rtureck

Final Flight
Mao's 09-10 LP is not al failure. TT chose a piece of music that worked against the skater.
Mao managed to make history by landing two triple axels. In my book in no way was that a failure. On the artistic side, she did well too. Until another female skater comes along and does better than Mao (with the same version of music), Mao's Bells is a huge success.

Only Jeff Buttle in recent has skated to the same music (a more skater friendly version). I can't see anyone can make a claim that Mao's LP was a failure artistically.

Back to the point someone made about Mao's versatility. I think she has enough versatlity, and hope she will grow in this area. I think she will be wonderful in interpreting both sides of the queen in Zauber Flote. I like to see her skate to both aria. The first one o zittre nicht- requires a more lyric style. The queen was all sugar lips dripping with honey when she tried to persuade Tamino. In the second aria Der Holle Rache, the queen called for he!!'s wrath. I think Mao can totally play both sides of the queen. Besides Mao, can't think of any female skater who can do both arias justice.

That is a very heavily Photoshopped picture.

LOL, why do fashion mag photoshopped so much?? Somehow I don't assoicate Mao with fashion mag. I can totally see Mai doing photo shoots like that

Last edited:
RTureck, you know I agree with you on the musical points you made! It was solely the music choice that worked against her, and I actually think she'd have been better off with the actual Rachmaninoff prelude, with that fast and impassioned B section in between the two more sonorous sections.

Queen of the Night--what wonderful images that idea conjures up!

I often think of French repertoire for Mao. I think I mentioned Saint-Saens' Phaeton earlier on this thread as a piece with possibilities for her, because though it's Romantic fervor to the max, it also has a much freer rhythm than the insistently droning "Bells."

MrBerkeley

On the Ice
Is Mao still looking for a coach in Japan?

Any updates on who might be in the running?

Does it have to be Japanese coach? Or just someone who will stay in Japan?