Mao Asada news | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada news

evangeline

Record Breaker
Is Mao still looking for a coach in Japan?

Any updates on who might be in the running?

Does it have to be Japanese coach? Or just someone who will stay in Japan?

I'm pretty sure Mao is specifically looking for a Japanese coach who will allow her to stay and train in her university's rink at Nagoya. I read an interview with Tarasova from awhile ago, and she said that she heavily recommended to Mao that she find a Japanese coach, due to cultural differences and/or the issue that some nuances may be lost in translation (I can't seem to find the interview right now, but I'll provide a link to the article when I find it).

Although Mao's still looking for a coach, I have a hunch that Nagakubo's going to end up as her main coach by the time the next season rolls around. She seems to work well with him, and how many elite-level Japanese coaches are there anyways?

feraina

Record Breaker
Mew is "nya", "nyao", "nyan" in Japanese. "Neko" (cat) is sometimes called "Nyanko" in Japan.

What is "mew"? You mean the meowing sound cats make?

So if you put English, Chinese, and Japanese all together, Mao is the queen feline of cat-couver? :laugh: Cute!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Of course, "MAO" can have another meaning. I won't post a clip because it's very violent. But go to YouTube and do a search for "the deer hunter" with quotations. Look at the 3rd or 4th clip that comes up. :eek:

Nadine

Record Breaker
For the past few days I've been having an enjoyable time watching old programs of Mao on youtube ~ from 2005 to 2010 ~ and the one thing that bugs me is she seems to have lost her confidence after 2008. Up until that point she was doing 3/3s, 3a, lutzes, flips, et al, left & right without problem. Then came the split with her coach, etc., but more than all else the ISU rule changes came into effect and totally blew her confidence. After that it was all downhill, playing catchup, losing her lutz & 3/3s, only going for 5 triples, et al.

Now, ironically, the ISU changes their rules once again. Too little, too late wherein Mao Asada is concerned. I wonder what else they will do in the next 4 years. Hopefully Mao doesn't master her program fit for the gods only to be blindsided once again.

Still, Mao should be prepared for any eventuality. After all, she has plenty of time over the next four years to master this program fit for the gods, so by the time the next Olympics rolls around she'll be able to do it without preparation, right out of the starting block, on automatic pilot. ;)

rtureck

Final Flight
I actually think she'd have been better off with the actual Rachmaninoff prelude, with that fast and impassioned B section in between the two more sonorous sections.

I often think of French repertoire for Mao. I think I mentioned Saint-Saens' Phaeton earlier on this thread as a piece with possibilities for her, because though it's Romantic fervor to the max, it also has a much freer rhythm than the insistently droning "Bells."

Olympia, I am wondering if you are Lori Nichol in disguise. Thanks for bringing up Phaeton. I have to dig deep into my disorganized cd collection to find it, and in the process of relearning Phaeton, I have a chance to listen to organ symphony since this piece shares the disc with Phaeton. Like Lori you come up with excellent choice without using the overused pieces. Usually when one thinks of St. Saens tone poem for skating Carnaval animals - swan, or the oh so overused Danse Macabre. And how many skaters shake and bake to Danse bacchanale from SAmson and Dee. I agree with Phaeton's freer rhythm. I think Mao will do well with French pieces. Many ppl suggest e.g. Debussy.

About the meaning of Mao. LOL so Mao is cat in Chinese. I was told Mao as in the chairman;s name means fur in Chinese.
Queen of the Night--what wonderful images that idea conjures up!

I think the chance of Mao skating to queen of night aria is next to zero. But I certainly may hope. I think it will be a riot if she indeed tries.

Last edited:
Rtureck, that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever heard, even just in fun--your teasing that I am Lori Nichol in disguise. Thank you! I love her offbeat choices for music (well, her choices for Michelle--obviously with Evan she's stuck with the tried and true). She's one of my skating heroes for that reason, and for the beauty of her choreography. If I could talk to just one skating person, I'd be tempted to choose her instead of one of my favorite skaters. Phaeton is on YouTube if you can't find the one in your collection. I agree that the Organ Symphony also has some lovely possibilities. And I'd add to our list (if anyone from the Japanese Federation asks us) the first and third movements of his Fifth Piano Concerto, which is my favorite of all Saint-Saens' concertos.

There's some gorgeous Faure that would be great for Mao as well, including the beginning of Masques et Bergamasques, I think. She has that lightness of touch that I associate with French Romantic music.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Charming & lovely as always; would honestly enjoy seeing her wearing that Chanel outfit for one of her programs in the future. :)

By the way, looked up her LP music for this season on youtube and it honestly gave me shivers & made my eyes water. So poignant ~ perfect piece for her ~ reminds me of her Debussy piece in a way.

But what really made me sit up & take notice, and had me back on youtube these past few days, was hearing the news about her "program fit for a god!!!!" Lol, I had to go and search for her Olympic LP (which I was never able to find due to the craziness over on youtube; my gosh I honestly wish youtube would do something about this; ban people or countries if they have to!) *mad* Anyhow, I did find her 2010 Worlds LP, but still it didn't give me the rush that her 2010 Olympic LP did ~ those two triple axels, the tension, the moment, that's something I will n-e-v-e-r forget ~ I'm so mad my VCR/DVD went out. :(

Back to this program fit for the gods! This is exactly what I suggested months & months & months ago (I'll have to find my posts & quote them later on). She continues to amaze me ~ her desire to go above & beyond ~ I wouldn't be surprised to see that she has mastered a quad by the time the next Olympics comes round. :)

Until then, I will enjoy watching old programs of hers on youtube...

To prove that I am a woman of my word, I have finally found the post I was looking for, wherein I mention what she should work on (basically a program fit for the gods!) -- post #117, March, 2010:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Sochi-in-2014&p=483105&viewfull=1#post483105

Verbatim:

Back to Mao, since she seems to have the two 3axels down pat after two years, now's the time to bring back the 3/3 combos. & other triples. Work on their consistency. And if she wants to challenge herself (lol, like that's even a question), then work on becoming the 1st woman to land a 3A/3T combo. in competition. And also the 1st woman to successfully complete 8 triples in competition (note: Yoshie's didn't count b/c her 3A was not ratified). This should keep her busy for the next two years at least, then at that time if everything seems to be going smoothly, then & only then work on adding a quad to her repertoire. But be very cautious, she doesn't want to end up with a broken ankle like what happened to Midori Ito, that could be the end of her career all together! Yet, that said, I've often heard from the experts that a quad is easier to acquire than a triple axel, as the 3A is the most dangerous jump, bar none, because it takes off forward on an outside edge. One must be an extremely confident & great edge jumper to learn it.

hurrah

Medalist
Her skating is as fluid and supple as before and she now seems to whizz across the ice on deeper edges! I love the step sequence (the part you can see) done all on one foot! And I can't believe her flexibility has actually improved! Her biellman and layback are just gorge.

Now, if only the jump issues are resolved...

But I can't believe she's made such a noticable improvement in just several months. I love her dedication!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I received an e-mail about Mao's performance from one of my friends being at X/Z wedding. That says she fall one jump and one is popped, in addition despite these jump failure her performance was so gorgeous and twizzls was just superb.
I think that her jump issues here is because of her not having done much run-through to focus on jump correction (it's from her at champs camp) and her nervousness.
Can't wait to see her improvements in ballad,too!

The bride is very beautiful and Mao's ballet jump is lovely.
ttp://loda.jp/siofigure2/?id=8500.jpg

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Mao's a slow starter, as evidenced by last season, so I don't really expect anything from her (as far as jumps go) until 4CC & Worlds.

I'm glad though that she and the rest of the cast are enjoying themselves. :)

breeze

Rinkside

Thank you for the links, babayaga! This was my first time listening to Schnittke's tango, and I really like the music for her. Now, I agree with Nadine that she's a slow starter and not just for jumps. This is a sophisticated piece of music and I hope she'll grow into the program more as the season unfolds, though it was already a lovely performance and many of her spin positions are always exquisite.

This video also bugged me for a while though, because near the end of the clip, I was reminded of Yuna for some reason. It was strange, I always felt they are quite different in style. I had to watch it a couple times to figure out why since I just can't stay curious. ;) And I found out why - she was bowing to the audience in a different way, like Yuna does. :laugh: I guess I might be the only one to notice this smallish thing, but I had a fun time solving the puzzle, as well as listening to the music and watching Mao. So thanks again!