Mao's programs this year | Golden Skate

Mao's programs this year

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am a bit worried as many people may do for her having two heavy programs, esp LP, which may not necessarily be the best match with her strengths, despite the greatness of the program, of Mao, and of TAT.

Many ppl seem to think that the team should change the programs. But I don't feel that they would, wouldn't they?

Mao has had pleasant, lively Ex programs that I personally may wish to see as competitive programs.

gourry

Final Flight
I don't think I'm in majority but I think her LP is kind of good. To me, it is definately better than her last LP. If she delivers it, it will be powerful.

It is her SP that really puzzles me. It is basically a same program only in shorter version. And they really want to say last year it was a woman who was poisoned by her husband and this year it is a joyful debutant?? Are they joking or do they honestly believe costume change can make that much difference? Oh, right, there is the new ending pose. Personally, I felt her layback spin suits more to the dying wife role...

I read that her Caprice was supposed to be her SP but somehow it didn't work. I really hope they just make it work and revive it as SP.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think this year,Team Mao must work on her strengths ! I've loved Mao for years (as well as Yu-Na) and she is a skater that needs lighter music, music that inspires!

I love the Bells of Moscow, by Rachmaninoff but i wish they used a different orchestration for it!

I'd love to see Mao skate, a truly dramatic, powerful and inspiring piece like "The Mission" or even "Giselle"

She also seems sad and I think she is incredibly burdened by all the hopes of her fans and her country for the Olympics! I feel she is pressuring herself too much which adds to the enormous pressure she already feels and is loosing the fun for skating! I could feel it in her, as Yu-Na is getting top-notch marks, she's starting to loose her focus. I don't want her to dwell on these negative thoughts because I don't want it to affect her. I think she's saying what else do I need to do. It's like the pressure Midori felt when she skated in Albertville. It's too much. Skating is one of the biggest sports in Japan and she is a superstar! She has been anointed as the one who would carry the torch after Shizuka won the Olympics in Torino! It's really tough! It's a good thing for Miki since she feels less pressure.

I don't know if this is a strategy,but, she maybe also saving herself and would try to peak at the right time. In the Olympic year, if people expect too much like in the case of Michelle the pressure is really unnerving. Like put a lot of imperfect programs then on the Olympics when the pressure is huge on Yu-Na she goes bang!

I seriously wish she has no injuries!

What she needs to do, is to change her program, maybe find a new coach, get new designers, work on herself, practice outside Japan, have fun, attempt cleaner more consistent elements in her program and love each second of it!

Mao is a genius skater and her footwork is to die for!

Last edited:

Gee

Rinkside
She needs to go back to Artunian or maybe her first coach.
TAT is just *destroying* her chances her world. She doesn't even let Mao do what she wants.....she seems lost in herself atm.

Mao. should fire TAT and then get Lori Nichol to choregraph two super light programs similary to Claire de Lune.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I read that her Caprice was supposed to be her SP but somehow it didn't work. I really hope they just make it work and revive it as SP.

Right. The olympics is no time to be "settling" for last year's hand me down program. Doing something som dramatic and dark for the LP, I understand why Mao and her coaches wanted to change the theme of the SP to something lighter, but the music does not fit the theme period. Wearing ruffles does not really help. If the Caprice did not work they should have used last year's Tango exhibition program. It was fun, flirty and Mao seemed to love skating it.

Masquerade brings back too many memories of last year's failure at worlds.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
She needs to go back to Artunian or maybe her first coach.
TAT is just *destroying* her chances her world. She doesn't even let Mao do what she wants.....she seems lost in herself atm.

Mao. should fire TAT and then get Lori Nichol to choregraph two super light programs similary to Claire de Lune.

I agree. IMO TAT's style doesn't go with Asada at all. Her free program music is chosen by TAT, and well, I felt like chucking down Vodka bottom up listening to the piece. At least handing over program selection to Lori Nichol would improve her positioning.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Right. The olympics is no time to be "settling" for last year's hand me down program. Doing something som dramatic and dark for the LP, I understand why Mao and her coaches wanted to change the theme of the SP to something lighter, but the music does not fit the theme period. Wearing ruffles does not really help. If the Caprice did not work they should have used last year's Tango exhibition program. It was fun, flirty and Mao seemed to love skating it.

I loved the tango, too! Although I think that Nichol overall did better, TAT does prepare some programs that suit Mao well.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I too think Mao's Bells of Moscow LP has lots of potential. However, I feel that it's the type of program that requires total committment and perfection to really *work*. It has the potential to become a masterpiece, but it's not easy to skate it to that level.

What I think Mao really needs to do is get rid of the 2 3A format (margin of error is too high), go back to her 1 3A and 3-3 format from a couple of seasons ago. And get rid of the weird ruffly dresses and wear a simple black dress (well, that's just my personal preference).

Her SP on the other hand--wasn't it supposed to be some lighter, more airy flute-and-orchestra arrangement of Khachaturian's Masquerade Waltz? At least, that's what I read somewhere...that would've fit the 'first-time-to-the-ball' theme better, at least. But I agree with everyone who says a tango SP or the Caprice SP would've been so much better. Tarasova seems to be able to choreograph beautiful exhibitions for Mao; why isn't that translating to her competitive programs?

R.D.

Record Breaker
As I said in the Ladies FS thread, she needs to make sure she commands the music, and does not allow the music to command her. It's a risky choice, and an interesting one at that, but it's a program she'll have to grow into. There's plenty of time, but looks like she'll need to be solid (if not perfect) to compete with Yuna. Who'd have thought- before this weekend, most had them on equal ground.

SusieH

On the Ice
I don't think Mao should change her LP. If she can deliver the technical goods, I'm sure the score will rise through the roof. The music is very powerful and leaves no room for viewers/listeners/the performer to take breath; as a result, Mao needs to present a technically perfect performance in order to match up with the power of the music. So, what she needs to do is make sure she can deliver the technical goods. If she can't be consistent with the format of two 3As, she should consider ditching one (or even two, but I don't think it's likely as Mao seems to be a very determined young woman :) ) and bring her 3-3 back.

Part of the reason why I said she should keep her LP is that I really want her to ditch her current SP, and it seems too risky to ditch both programs at once :cool: I was OK with her masquerade LP last season, but after watching her debut of her SP yesterday, I realized I had had enough of that piece of music, not to mention the format looked exactly the same. Maybe the judges shared my feelings. She has Caprice, which is said to be her original SP. She also has some really brilliant SPs in the past. Why not switch to one of them? Switch to something lighter. "Bells" is heavy enough already.

I'm not sure about coach changing. I think only Mao knows if TAT is good for her or not. The bottom line is if she has trust in TAT, she should keep her, and as far as I can see, Mao seems to like and trust TAT a lot. The thing is, if Mao keeps struggling with her programs as the season progresses, I wonder how long she can maintain that trust... But my gut feeling is that Mao will be fine. It seems she is always struggling in the beginning of the season, but always peak and deliver the goods later at major competitions (except last year).

Last edited:

harmy18

Rinkside
There's plenty of time, but looks like she'll need to be solid (if not perfect) to compete with Yuna. Who'd have thought- before this weekend, most had them on equal ground.

I don't think Mao could compete with Yuna regardless of what she did, actually nobody could challenge Yuna at present IMO. Well......maybe Joannie could reach Yuna if she did everything perfectly in the Oly and Can SF did exert some influence on it....... but who knows

As for Mao ASADA, she needs to change her SP, it sucks with that duplicate program :disapp: She also needs to pick up her Lutz and 3/3 combos so as to be competitive with Joannie. She acted as if she was doing a business, not a program.....she really needs some classes of drama

Bennett

Record Breaker
Now that the down grading rules are a bit relaxed, I do hope that she brings her 3-3 back. They were beautiful and tended to be so close even when they were dinged.

Tigger

Final Flight
What I think Mao really needs to do is get rid of the 2 3A format (margin of error is too high), go back to her 1 3A and 3-3 format from a couple of seasons ago. And get rid of the weird ruffly dresses and wear a simple black dress (well, that's just my personal preference).

ITA w/you about the jump format. I think she spends so much time and effort on that first triple axel that when it comes time for the second one...It's just not working. Mao had better success w/just one, but a high quality of a one, triple axel and triple triple combo. Ever since the current "plan" of two triple axels in the FS has come into play, things have been creeping downhill wise w/Mao's performances in competition in the FS.

You aren't the only one who hates that LP dress. Haven't really seen the SP one yet, so won't comment, but that thing she wore today...Yi yi yi!! Putting such a wide and also deep ruffle around the shoulders as a neckline on someone who looks are delicate, but an elegant refined kind of a delicate, looking and petite isn't only a huge mistake, but that thing looked like it was swallowing Mao alive. Even my Dad said she not only needed to ask for her money back from whomever designed it, but to also fire and tell them they will never costume design for her again!!

I said it over in the Ladies LP thread earlier, but what the HELL has Tarasova done to Mao? That LP music just does not work at all. I felt I was listening to a funeral dirge while watching Mao this afternoon during the CBC broadcast. It does her no justice or favours at all, but even that's the least of Mao's problems at the moment.

Where's that lovely, light and bubbly young lady from a few years ago gone to? It's one thing to portray a serious program w/a serious demenour, but it's more than that. Mao just does not look happy to be out there at all. Yes, the pressure from Japan is enomous and we all know what Japanese athletes favoured for an Olympic Medal go through at home. Of course that has to be taking a toll on Mao, but even w/that factor thrown in, there's no joy on her face or her body language.

I really think the Japanese Fed needs to step in and tell Tarasova thank you, but we've decided to find someone else to help Mao on her Road to Vancouver.

I also never thought I'd be saying something like that either, but if something's not done to *help* Mao turn things around now, I have a horrid sinking feeling that things will only continue to go downhill for her. I want to see that old happy to be on the ice and in love w/skating Mao of a few years ago back out there. Not the current young lady who looks so lost, alone and unhappy.

gourry

Final Flight
ITA w/you about the jump format. I think she spends so much time and effort on that first triple axel that when it comes time for the second one...It's just not working. Mao had better success w/just one, but a high quality of a one, triple axel and triple triple combo. Ever since the current "plan" of two triple axels in the FS has come into play, things have been creeping downhill wise w/Mao's performances in competition in the FS.

I often wonder which one came first. Is it before or after she put two 3A that her 3-3 started getting downgraded?

Even my Dad said she not only needed to ask for her money back from whomever designed it, but to also fire and tell them they will never costume design for her again!!

:rofl::rofl: Maybe it was BOGO deals? Her SP costume and LP costume basically share same design. The color and details are different but still...

oxade21

Match Penalty
I don't think Mao could compete with Yuna regardless of what she did, actually nobody could challenge Yuna at present IMO. Well......maybe Joannie could reach Yuna if she did everything perfectly in the Oly and Can SF did exert some influence on it....... but who knows

LMFAO!!! :rofl::rofl: You will be so dissapointed.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Part of the reason why I said she should keep her LP is that I really want her to ditch her current SP, and it seems too risky to ditch both programs at once I was OK with her masquerade LP last season, but after watching her debut of her SP yesterday, I realized I had had enough of that piece of music, not to mention the format looked exactly the same. Maybe the judges shared my feelings. She has Caprice, which is said to be her original SP. She also has some really brilliant SPs in the past. Why not switch to one of them? Switch to something lighter. "Bells" is heavy enough already

If two new programs are to much Mao could always get a new short program and go back to the long program that won her World Championships.

Or she could go back to Claire de Lune and get a new long program. I think she can do better than Bells. At first I kind of liked it but the music is just to much.

Or another option is she can make Bells into a short program (although the piano version) and go back to Fantasie.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that the LP music can be less scary in a different version, by eliminating the trenbling effects that sound threatening, IMO. Piano version would have been nicer.

But I just could not expect her go back to any of the programs made by Nichol. That would be bad for their relationship.

Last edited:

figurejennah

On the Ice
??

I don't think I'm in majority but I think her LP is kind of good. To me, it is definately better than her last LP. If she delivers it, it will be powerful.

It is her SP that really puzzles me. It is basically a same program only in shorter version. And they really want to say last year it was a woman who was poisoned by her husband and this year it is a joyful debutant?? Are they joking or do they honestly believe costume change can make that much difference? Oh, right, there is the new ending pose. Personally, I felt her layback spin suits more to the dying wife role...

Really? Mao's concept is a joyful debutant? But how is that possible when the original music is about poison? For example, Yuna had the same theme for season 2007-8 Die Fledermous, which was super light airy music, and I can't see how masquerade music would fit that kind of theme. When you think if a debutant, I can't match it with masquerade... It's a beautiful piece of music but from start to end, there's no joyful feeling in it because it's so dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASp0vgqSdU

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice
I just rewatched several of Mao's old SPs on youtube and wonder what has happened to this talented and ethereally beautiful skater. What distinguishes the present her from the former her, IMO, is self-confidence, and that's exactly what distinguished her from Yuna at TEB. Yuna exuded strong self-confidence while Mao did not. She looked nervous and pensive, and that probably affected her jumping. Watching "Nocturne" and "Ladies in Lavender" makes me miss the old Mao Asada very much. :cry: I hope she can put the loss at TEB all behind her and regain her confidence and cheerfulness soon.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Mao is in a REALLY TOUGH situation

She has the programs and costumes and sadness to from Tatiana to deal with internationally. At home her federation is to powerful and they put way to much pressure on there big skaters who have been on the top. I feel sad everytime I watch her now. How is she going to enjoy being a figure skater with experiences like this. It shall be painful to see her go to the Olympics in this much pain.:cry: