Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal | Golden Skate

Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal

After the scores they put up a Nebelhorn and them probably improving over the season......Do you think they have a chance?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
After the scores they put up a Nebelhorn and them probably improving over the season......Do you think they have a chance?

I don't think we'll ever see anything of this comp on video (at least I haven't been able to find it, and many Germans have said it won't be televised). So... all I have to go by to form an opinion is the results on the official site, and the first hand written reports from those who saw it first hand.

My personal take? Tanith was injured during the FD. They reportedly took a time out for her injury to be treated, and then resumed the program. Of course that was a major disruption. I suspect if the same thing had occured at, say, a GP event with a deeper field, that situation would have resulted in something way less than gold for B&A.

So, while B&A took second in the free skate, it sounds to me like that was "under duress" and they still ended up winning. So while I'm interested in watching this team, I don't think they beat B&A in the FD under "normal" competitive circumstances.

ETA: I guess I should have asked this... "a chance for what?" I think every team always has a chance to improve. I sort of assumed you might be asking about opinions on a chance to beat B&A at a GP event, or a chance to medal at a senior international event, or something along those lines. But I very well might have read more into that than what you meant. My aplogies in advance if I misunderstood.

Just IMO..

DG

Last edited:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well, assuming that Belbin and Agosto don't compete at the Olympics(which is probably the case) D/V could be the "replacement" team

I just really didn't expect D/V to do so well at Nebelhorn's in terms of points
but they would have lost had B/A done well in the free dance

If posters would check out the events page, they would know that the Lithuanians beat the Americans in the FD but came in second over all. They are very competitive and looking for revenge, I presume.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Well, assuming that Belbin and Agosto don't compete at the Olympics(which is probably the case) D/V could be the "replacement" team

I just really didn't expect D/V to do so well at Nebelhorn's in terms of points
but they would have lost had B/A done well in the free dance

Maybe I'm misunderstanding - I probably shouldn't have even replied here as I admittedly don't follow ice dance as much as the other diciplines. How would D/V replace B&A at the Olympics - aren't D/V from Lithuania? Or maybe you meant a possible replacement on the podium? (LOL - not that the podium might be pre-determined in ice dance or anything....SORRY....I didn't mean to say that!!!!)

DG

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well they could be giving time as good as B/A

IDK...........................We'll just have to wait and see

I still think that D/V has a chance

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Well they could be giving time as good as B/A

IDK...........................We'll just have to wait and see

I still think that D/V has a chance

Hi Sailor. I think I'm still not understanding (sorry - I'm really dense sometimes).

What do you mean by "giving time as good as B/A?"

What does "IDK" mean?

When you say you think D/V "has a chance" - what are you talking about? (podium chance at Oly? chance to medal in GP? etc.)

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think is is an excellent result for them. This is their first competition not only since taking time off, but also under CoP. Clearly, the original poster meant chance fo Olympic Medal. I think they certainly have one.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I think is is an excellent result for them. This is their first competition not only since taking time off, but also under CoP. Clearly, the original poster meant chance fo Olympic Medal. I think they certainly have one.

Thank you.........................Obviously, They are not competing on the GP Series

Sorry if I worded the thread wrong

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Hi Sailor. I think I'm still not understanding (sorry - I'm really dense sometimes).

What do you mean by "giving time as good as B/A?"

What does "IDK" mean?

When you say you think D/V "has a chance" - what are you talking about? (podium chance at Oly? chance to medal in GP? etc.)

DG

Alright first off..."idk" means "I don't know"

Second.....Have you seen D/V prior their retirement in 2002. They very unique moves that separates them from everybody else.

Third.....They do have a chance to medal at the olympics

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Thank you.........................Obviously, They are not competing on the GP Series

Sorry if I worded the thread wrong

I will look forward to watching them when the opportunity arises (read: frustrated USA TV limited FS coverage viewer!!). AND - if an ice dance team makes the Oly podium because they deserve it, even though they didn't meet the criteria for GP invitations, then I MIGHT BECOME AN ICE DANCE FAN!!

So...I wish D/V the very best, and will watch for them when I get the chance. I hope I did not offend... with my questions.

DG

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I will look forward to watching them when the opportunity arises (read: frustrated USA TV limited FS coverage viewer!!). AND - if an ice dance team makes the Oly podium because they deserve it, even though they didn't meet the criteria for GP invitations, then I MIGHT BECOME AN ICE DANCE FAN!!

So...I wish D/V the very best, and will watch for them when I get the chance. I hope I did not offend... with my questions.

DG

Oh, not at all

I should have been more specific

Sorry

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that what's important to note is that in their Free Dance, Drobiazko and Vanagas had two sets of L4 twizzles, two L4 lifts -- including a L4+L4 -- and L3 on the other elements (two lifts, serpentine step sequence, and spin). Their base value of 43.8 was higher than B/A's base of 41.40. B/A had three L2 elements (spin, serpentine step sequence, and final lift).

D/V's base for the OD was slightly higher than B/A's (25.7 to 25.4), but B/A gained almost 4 points over base, with GOE of 1.0 and 1.5 on their two step sequences, one with twizzles. (It was on the footwork in the FD that B/A got negative GOE, and there was a fall deduction.) The third-place Beiers had the highest base of 25.9.

Even with the interruption and the faulty step sequence in the FD, B/A scored higher in Program Component scores in each phase.

There were a number of "extended lift" deductions.

http://www.deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2005/index.htm

JOHIO2

Medalist
I've always enjoyed D&V so I wish them well. We'll find out at Europeans how well they are doing, but I expect them to at least be in the hunt for OGM.

SailorGalaxia518 said:

Do they have to go to the shin dig in Vienna to fill up the vacancies for the Olys? That competition is due soon. Is it not?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Yes, and they're on the roster (#12):

No. Nation Name Lady Name Man Entry Form
1 ARM GREBENKINA Anastasia AZROYAN Vazgen B
2 AUS BUCK Natallie NELSON-BOND Trent B
3 AUT SILNA Barbora MATSYUK Dmitro A
4 AZE FRASER Kristen LUKANIN Igor B
5 CHN YANG Fang GAO Chongbo B
6 CZE HAJKOVA Kamila VINCOUR David B
7 FRA CARRON Pernelle JOST Matthieu A
8 GER BEIER Christina BEIER William B
9 GBR O'CONNOR Pamela O'DOUGHERTY Jonathon A
10 HUN HOFFMANN Nora ELEK Attila B
11 JPN WATANABE Nozomi KIDO Akiyuki B
12 LTU DROBIAZKO Margarita VANAGAS Povilas B
13 MEX MUNANA Laura MUNANA Luke B
14 POL KAUC Alexsandra ZYCH Michal B
15 UKR BEKNAZAROVA Alla ZUEV Vladimir A
16 USA NAVARRO Kimberly BOMMENTRE Brent A
17 UZB AKIMOVA Olga SHAKALOV Olexandr B

Not everyone is competing to qualify; USA, UKR, FRA, and GBR have spot(s) based on last year's Worlds.

September 15 was the cut-off for when the countries who did qualify for spot(s) needed to confirm if they would use all of them. I haven't seen an ISU communication to confirm how many of these would be used and if there were additional spots available. For example, Bulgaria qualified for two spots based on Denkova/Staviyski's top 10 finish in Moscow, but whether they'll send two teams is questionable. Plus, there are the national Olympic committee hurdles to clear, even if a team qualifies through Karl Schaeffer.

nuge

On the Ice
IMHO I don't think D/V are olympic medal contenders.There are too many better skaters .Even FP/M I expect to be in front of them .I do hope they do well and enjoy the olympic experience but I think they'll probably just make it into the top ten .:frown2:

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
nuge said:
IMHO I don't think D/V are olympic medal contenders.There are too many better skaters .Even FP/M I expect to be in front of them .I do hope they do well and enjoy the olympic experience but I think they'll probably just make it into the top ten .:frown2:

No way would I expect FP/M to be in front of D&V. D&V were so much better technically than the Italians, it were the politics that kept them off the podium. Have you actually seen their Olympic program? They had an intricate, flowless program and Morgali kissed the ice all over. Bourne and Kraatz ended up falling on the ice at the end. The standinings did not change at all. I do hope that under the CoP that would change - as it has for other teams.

What they have been up tp in the last 3 years is another issue. Have they been studying the CoP closely and tried to improve? I think the NT results indicate "yes".

While I do not agree with the way this team has spoken out against other teams, I have always enjoyed their innovative and beatiful programs. Italians mainly had sloppy programs in comparison. I think most posters would agree with me on this one.

Good luck to D&V.

Yana