Marshalls Cheesefest Question - Not a competition? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Marshalls Cheesefest Question - Not a competition?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I like the exhibition format after the Worlds. I think they should leave Campbell's and that Japan Open event (good opportunity to debut programs), scrap the December event, and leave the Marshall's spring program the way it is now, as an exhibition format. Leave the real competitions to the GP, Nationals and Worlds (and Olys in Oly years).

Piel said:
What's wrong with the audience voting format, just for fun? Everyone knows it is a popularity contest from the start so what's the harm? If it means we get to see more of the skaters we love I say open the phone lines. Remember some of us don't get SOI or COI in our towns:banging:. American Idol got better ratings than the Olys.
The reason that I didn't like the phone-in vote thing is -- been there, done that. You can't lead by jumping on the bandwagon.

If figure skating had come up with American Idol five years ago, hey, good for us. But now every show on TV is American Idol/Dancing with the Stars/yadda yadda yadda.

So if the AI or similar format means the networks will show more skating I think we should take it and be thankful that SOMEBODY is interested in broadcasting figure skating.
That's a good point. I go back and forth in my mind about that.

For instance, look at Kristi's show "Skating's next star." (I seem to be the only person still watching this, LOL.)

The first show was so awful, it gave figure skating such a black eye, that I actually wrote to WE TV and told them to take that travesty off the air.

Then I was sorry I had done that, because -- like you say -- any figure skating is better than no figure skating.

Then the show cleaned up its act (= more Kristi :love: ) and now I like it.

MM :)

Joesitz said:
MM and Piel - The Cheesfests as they were before MK couldn't do them legitimately were never serious except for the prize money.
Aaagh. It kills me to have to say that you're right about that, Joe. :laugh: I really liked them. Oh well.
But I do prefer straightforward competitions as the sport demands and no variations on a theme. No gender benders, no wars, no presentations only, just old fashion competitions and having a winner who was the best that night.
Well, you've got Speedy in your corner. But how can we prevent the audience from just disappearing altogether?

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
I lost my first post so I'll try to recap what I said....

I was basically going to say that I'm not sure that "any skating is better than no skating" is entirely true. Yes in a sense, but in order to be successful, the show needs VIEWERS. Otherwise, they may as well show nothing. It's also very likely the show wouldn't air again, too.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The Marshall's call in show was way classier than the show with Rudi, Elvis and Pasha G, IMO. I agree that the later is pretty bad....probably worse than no skating. How can they consider it a legitimate competition when the judges are telling the contestants how hot they think they are? To me that reeks of bias.

I hated all of the fake team competitions. How many times did we see Hartshorn and Whiting's 1492 program where she was the sail in the lifts...and that was one of the better performances (I really liked that team)? The point is we saw the same programs over and over sometimes more than once in the same day. I believe that it can be done better.

Joe I like competitions much better than exhibitions. I actually like the commentary too. The only competition I have ever attended was the Jefferson Pilot one where they allowed Tonya Harding to compete. It was two nights and while I loved seeing all of the skaters live, I hated that there was no commentary.

Piel, I'm just not big on exhibitions but I prefer them to phony competitions.

The phone in's were silly and if you like Michelle, you got her at her worst. Sad but that's what happened to her in order to fill her contract. If you were pleased that she is holding on to her fan base, well, so be it. Also I didn't like the panel of judges: Peggy and Dick were embarassed to tell MK what they think of her and Peter was only too happy to tell her how badly she skated Peter has always had a negative approach to MK. The panel served no purpose. How does one give advice to an injured skater other than to wish them to get well?

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Where they made the mistake was letting the audience vote AND having a judging panel. Should have gone with one or the other, IMO. It left the audience with WTF? I think if they want to have exhibitions like this past Marshall's and let the audience call in to name their favs, then go for it. But be sure to call it what it is.... a popularity contest. Even better charge for the calls and put the money toward supporting some of the young skaters.....Roene ward:love: . I enjoyed Saturday's show. If allowing folks to call in and name their favs makes for a bigger audience and keeps shows like that on, i have no problem with it. Serious skating fans can enjoy the show and those who live for a reason for their skater to be rated ahead of the others no matter how silly the rating system will be happy too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Where they made the mistake was letting the audience vote AND having a judging panel.

err...don't they do that in the final round of American Idol as well? :confused:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
They do but it's set up more as America votes and the judges are (supposed to be) giving constructive criticism. Of course they always ask the judges if they think the bottom three is right. On AI they are called judges but I really see them more as coaches. At Marshalls even though the call in vote determined the winner the judges picked their own winner so there were two sets of winners which basically canceled each other out IMO. It was like the judges were saying screw the audience Sasha and Matt are the winners while the audience said screw the judges Michelle and Johnny are the real winners. Just my take on them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe they should have waited until after the audience vote was announced to ask for their comments?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't know. Would that have alienated the audience.....doesn't matter what the audience thinks here's who we think is best?

It's HOW LONG until Skate America?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I see your point, but then again, if you look on Idol they always ask the judges what they think of the audience results afterward. So I don't think it would have been a bad thing.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Which reminds me...

Not at the last one but at the two previous British Championships they had a text message vote for the Free Dance just to find out the "audience favourite". It obviously had no bearing on the result. Interestingly i think the Kerrs were the winners of both the title and the audience favourite vote.

Ant