Marshalls US Showcase - April 6 - Reading, PA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marshalls US Showcase - April 6 - Reading, PA

Linny

Final Flight
Pros!

I wish they'd go back to Pros only competitions and have some real rules like required elements and limited props, maybe a technical program and an artistic program. And have real Pro Champions!

Linny

Why? Just curious since I didn't see them and find the idea odd. (How can there be a competition when one group is in tip-top shape and the other isn't?)
Most of the events that were billed as "Pro-ams" were team events. But there were some in the early nineties that did have both "just turned pros" and "up and comers" in competition.

Here is the list of results, from the Golden Skate archives. :rock:

http://www.goldenskate.com/competitions/proam/usfsa.shtml

In 1998 the "World pro" was actually a pro-am. Kurt Browning won the long program over Alexei Yagudin (but Yagudin won overall because of a lead in the short).

Last edited:
PS. OT, but I can't help myself. ... And Michelle gave arguably the finest performance of her entire career, to East of Eden. The audience couldn't believe their eyes. ;)

MORE of a show? it's always BEEN a show! :laugh:
I couldn't disagree more. I bet you have never been to one, LOL.

The most exciting skating competition I ever saw, bar none, was the 2004 winter Marshalls. Lysacek, who was pretty much unknown at the time, skated first and laid down the challenge. Then came Joubert -- no! Lysacek's still in first! Weir, Griasev, Weiss -- after every skater the audience was on pins and needles waiting for the score. Evan's still on top! Yay!!

(Plushenko skated last, put on his usual exhibition, and won, but never mind that... :laugh: )

ladybug

On the Ice
PS. OT, but I can't help myself. ... And Michelle gave arguably the finest performance of her entire career, to East of Eden. The audience couldn't believe their eyes. ;)

I watched that performance of East of Eden just last night on YouTube and it brought tears to my eyes. It was amazing. She sure knows how to grab an audience and put them in her pocket.

Ladybug

I couldn't disagree more. I bet you have never been to one, LOL.

The most exciting skating competition I ever saw, bar none, was the 2004 winter Marshalls. Lysacek, who was pretty much unknown at the time, skated first and laid down the challenge. Then came Joubert -- no! Lysacek's still in first! Weir, Griasev, Weiss -- after every skater the audience was on pins and needles waiting for the score. Evan's still on top! Yay!!

(Plushenko skated last, put on his usual exhibition, and won, but never mind that... :laugh: )
Those were the days of international competitions and for the most part quite exciting.

And yes, East of Eden was MK's best for me. It defined her and her skating style. Not a pseudo ballerina but a great figure skater.

Joe

The 2007 Junior World medalists from the U.S. -- Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Stephen Carriere and Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker -- have been added to the Marshalls Showcase lineup:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=37949
This show, and I emphasize show is a break through from the days of Kwan/Cohen and who else can they get.

I see the USFS pushing their new famed kids. Nice but I hope they don't leave Bebe out.

Joe

That's great. It should be a good show.

But I stll wish it was going to be a competition instead of an exhibition.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Campbells, Marshalls, Pro Ams, Stars on Ice BORING!!! Good for the skaters who have the opportunity to skate there but, I would rather watch exhibitions after a Nationals,
4C's or Worlds.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I see the USFS pushing their new famed kids.
This isn't really a surprise, is it? ;)

Nice but I hope they don't leave Bebe out.
Unfortunately, the '07 National senior pewter medalists have not been invited (Liang, Jeremy Abbott, Evora/Ladwig, Navarro/Bommentre). It might have been a nice bonus to include the other 2 junior national champs as well (Eliot Halverson and Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates, who might have medaled at Jr. Worlds had she not been injured during their free dance).

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Remember this is only a two hour program and with all the commercials and fluff added, it is possible we will not see everyone skate who is in the show. Also, this will be last of cheesefests/shows that ABC/ESPN airs as their contract with USFS is over with it's conclusion. Next season.... who knows what, if any skating will be seen on U.S. television? If at all, most likely on cable.

So enjoy what you get and record it for posterity!

BTW... Grand Prix series gets it's last run on ABC/ESPN next season, then that contract with ISU ends.

visaliakid - From what you wrote, I take it that this Marshall thing will not be LIVE on TV?

ABC's marketing people are strange, imo.

Joe

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Remember this is only a two hour program and with all the commercials and fluff added, it is possible we will not see everyone skate who is in the show. Also, this will be last of cheesefests/shows that ABC/ESPN airs as their contract with USFS is over with it's conclusion. Next season.... who knows what, if any skating will be seen on U.S. television? If at all, most likely on cable.

So enjoy what you get and record it for posterity!

BTW... Grand Prix series gets it's last run on ABC/ESPN next season, then that contract with ISU ends.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.Hopefully thay can find a way to stay on Television.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
with all the hype about caroline and the other junior skaters, i can't say that i am surprised. USFSA has lost it's "big" names, sasha cohen and michelle kwan and thus the ticket sales might show. If kimmie or another american skater scheduled to skate there do not so well at worlds, there willl be no audince draw. Everyone is looking ahead to future champions and so it's a smart move by USFSA.

Whatever rationale the USFS is using for this 'Hail to the Juniors' event, I hope they do not repeat their Nats exhibitions. I'd like to see some versatility.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Whatever rationale the USFS is using for this 'Hail to the Juniors' event, I hope they do not repeat their Nats exhibitions. I'd like to see some versatility.

I am sure that they will. THese skater's don't have time to put togther new programs for every new event. And get new costumes. Marai only skated to her SP at nationals exebition... i guess she didn't think she would be performing. She might get something together... i hope so. As for caroline.. she odsen't need to change a thing.

I am sure that they will. THese skater's don't have time to put togther new programs for every new event. And get new costumes. Marai only skated to her SP at nationals exebition... i guess she didn't think she would be performing. She might get something together... i hope so. As for caroline.. she odsen't need to change a thing.
It does make for an oh, it's on? I already saw it from Nats broadcast. There is no versatility in Junior skating. Sasha will do Dark Eyes? Johnny will do My Way. Seems like a same old stuff presentation.

Joe

I am very disappointed. I think competitive figure skating should try to maintain some kind of presence on the scene. This is just another Kristi Yamaguchi and Friends Chistmas Special, except it doesn't have Kristi or any of her friends and it's not Christmas.

Don't get me wrong. I love Kristi, her friends and Christmas. But I also like sports competitions.

They should have had a competition of juniors versus seniors. That would have been cool. Caroline, Mirai and Rachael against Mao, Yu-na and Kimmie! :rock: