Meissner vs Asada... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Meissner vs Asada...

satorare

Match Penalty
The only scores that are actually omparable are the SA scores when they were at teh same competition with the same judges.

Ant

Actually, Meissner has two home events out of three.
The "condition" is rather favorable for Meissner, isn't it?

The only skater who has better non-jump elements than Mao is Alissa Czisny.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Actually, Meissner has two home events out of three.
The "condition" is rather favorable for Meissner, isn't it?

The only skater who has better non-jump elements than Mao is Alissa Czisny.

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference - you acnnot compare the scors from noe event to another because the different makeup of a judging panel and the random selection of scores acn skew the results in a meanigless way. COP may tout itself, with its personal best scores as being an absolute scoring system but it is not!

Ant

satorare

Match Penalty
antmanb, I've never said "exactly comparable".

But it's very safe to assume these gaps could be even wider in Tokyo.
I guess Meissner can't win even if Mao makes one serious mistake or two smaller ones.
She never won against Kim (3 times lose), won only once against Ando (5 times lose). And, Kostner could be a definite factor. It's better to focus on them.

Satorare - All your posts stress the winner as Mao who will execute a perfect 3A. That's ok if you believe the entire competition is based on one jump.

I happen to agree with you. If she does the perfect 3A in Tokyo she will win the competition. Nothing else matters even if Yuna skates perfectly in all other elements including 3x3s, and with all the flow of connecting steps that she can do. But, I guarantee you, it will not change my mind about Yuna if Mao wins.

I do believe the PCS scores are geared to the Quad and 3As (Ladies) in competition.

Joe

satorare

Match Penalty
Satorare - All your posts stress the winner as Mao who will execute a perfect 3A. That's ok if you believe the entire competition is based on one jump.

I don't say 3A is THE KEY.
Mao is almost undefeatable in 3A-less SP.
If she skates a "safe" FS without 3A, she will win by 95-99% (the only disturbing factor is Ando's quad).
If Kimmie wants to challenge 3A-less Mao, she must do clean programs including 3A.

I think both fans and antis of Mao don't want her to skip 3A.

I think too, if Mao goes for the 3A in Tokyo and misses it, it will be detrimental to her winning. There is much more pressure for Mao to do the 3A in her home town than it is for Kimmie, or Yuna.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
...but I'm not sure what Kimmie is. She hasn't found her own style yet - she always seems to be gluing on some gesture to give her an ethnic or "youth" look, whether it's Egyptian hands or switching her hips. I find it phony and irritating. I think she'd do well in a unitard and a more athletic style. Mira Leung did Catwoman, didn't she? maybe Kimmie can do Batwoman or Wonder Woman or Maria Sharapova. As long as she moves well, I don't think Presentation has to = Ballet Style.
:yes:
Now, doesn't it simply make your day on the rare occassions we actually agree?? :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)

I would like to see Kimmie do less wrist bending and more flat out power jumping to strong music... This is true for Emily as well...

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Just as a question, i know the rules have been changed frequently - if you get a phantom sequence, or if you do a fourth combination - do you still get marks for the first jump and lose the marks of the second (and even third) jumps or does teh whole element get docked. I know that how plush lost the GPF to Sandhu that year when only two combos were allowed and he a did a third on the back of a triple axel and he got no points for any of it.

Ant

I think the whole element still gets docked and that certainly needs to be changed. I also believe the Zayak rule needs to be slighty changed. If a skater accidently does too many of a certain Triple, that jump should be downgraded to the score of a double rather than discounted entirely.

~Z

I think we ALL agree Mao is the favorite to win. No one is saying Kimmie will win. They are saying that if certain things go wrong for Mao, Kimmie will win. But I am saying Kim will win and almost saying it with a perfect 3A from Mao.

Joe

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I think we ALL agree Mao is the favorite to win. No one is saying Kimmie will win. They are saying that if certain things go wrong for Mao, Kimmie will win. But I am saying Kim will win and almost saying it with a perfect 3A from Mao.

Joe

Hmm...people may shrug that off, but Yu-Na only landed 5 clean triples at the GPF and still managed an LP score of 119.14. If she had done the planned 2A-3T instead of just a 2A and not stepped out of the second 2A, she would be somewhere around 125. And that's not accounting for the PCS, which probably would have gone up a bit with a clean program.

Her injury is worrisome, but each subsequent skate this season has been cleaner than the last...she might put it all together at Worlds.

I wonder if she'll ever do the triple loop again?

Hmm...people may shrug that off, but Yu-Na only landed 5 clean triples at the GPF and still managed an LP score of 119.14. If she had done the planned 2A-3T instead of just a 2A and not stepped out of the second 2A, she would be somewhere around 125. And that's not accounting for the PCS, which probably would have gone up a bit with a clean program.

Her injury is worrisome, but each subsequent skate this season has been cleaner than the last...she might put it all together at Worlds.

I wonder if she'll ever do the triple loop again?
I'm not counting the different triples. I just see the flow over the ice which no balleerina can really do on stage. That is the difference between a ballerina and a figure skater. Yuna is a figure skater not unlike Kwan.

I, too am worried about the injury. I'd hate to see yet another talented skater beat the dust.

Joe

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I'm not counting the different triples. I just see the flow over the ice which no balleerina can really do on stage. That is the difference between a ballerina and a figure skater. Yuna is a figure skater not unlike Kwan.
Joe

Yu-Na definitely does have that quality of smoothness. Style-wise I think she's a bit more Chen Lu, though - The Lark Ascending has some uncanny simlarities to Butterfly Lovers.