Men - Free Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Indeed it is, after the huge mistakes Lambiel made in the SP.

And, lol, "zero" presentation? Joubert is hardly the most expressive or interesting skater out there but he has his merits.

~Z

antmanb

Record Breaker
Wow two quads! and zero presentation. That's a winner.

Well it worked fine for plushenko!!!!

Seriously though i don't think joubert could beat Lambiel even with 2 quads - he clearly thought he'd done enough to take the title and bailed on his last two spins to get only a level one, i wouldn't hae minded but even the level 1 spins weren't done particularly well or were at all well centred. Lambiel skated far better than Joubert.

Ant

Lambiel skated far better than Joubert.
And everyone from Dick Button to the judging panel agrees. Lambiel's LP was scored higher than Joubert's in both technical merit and program components.

But it wasn't enough to overtake Brian's huge lead in the short.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Takahashi skated better then both Lambiel and Joubert. Lambiel just had too many big mistakes, as Dick Button also stated by chastising him for celebrating a multi-mistake performance, while Joubert was cautious and uninspired. Thus Takahashi was the best in the free program.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
A clean Lambiel > a clean Joubert, of course.

But Lambiel really screwed up his Short Program. Even if he was absolutely perfect in the LP, he still wouldn't have won if Joubert went for the second Quad. That's what I was saying.

~Z

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lambiel lost 8.06 points outright with his 3 mistakes I believe. Depending on what he gained through GOE and PCS he likely would have been over 170, who knows by how much though. Joubert lost how many points not doing the second quad, 5 I think it was? So if Lambiel had gone totally clean it is possible he would have caught Joubert even with Joubert doing the second quad.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
You gotta believe that Joubert would have had a bit of a PCS increase as well, however, with the added excitement of a second Quad.

~Z

kittycat26

Match Penalty
You gotta believe that Joubert would have had a bit of a PCS increase as well, however, with the added excitement of a second Quad.

~Z

One would like to think the offensive PC scores of Mr. Brian Joubert are already as high as they would be already. The thought of a further increase is deeply troubling to those of us who care about the integrity and honor of this sport, who already deeply offended by the PC scores of very inappropriate height already awarded to Brian Joubert.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
:rock: absolutely. My God aren't his scores already inflated enough? They're already ridiculous IMO. I just try and laugh at the fact that he and Diasuke have PCS anywhere near each other. If I don't laugh I'll cry.

kittycat26

Match Penalty
:rock: absolutely. My God aren't his scores already inflated enough? They're already ridiculous IMO. I just try and laugh at the fact that he and Diasuke have PCS anywhere near each other. If I don't laugh I'll cry.

Yes sometimes it is best to approach such offensive evaluation of a skaters standards in certain areas with a sense of humour, since if you try to evaluate it seriously it becomes saddening and discouraging as fans of the sport. Joubert certainly has mastered the art of wild arm waving to the music, simple two foot dance steps, and simple crossover of good qualty. With the possible exception of skating skills the justification of such enormous PC scores for such qualities escapes my understanding.

Joubert having PCS in the same range as Lambiel, Takahashi, and Buttle(for his clean short program performance)at this years World Championships of Figure Skating was a true injustice to fairness, and of the desire to see accurate reflection of skating standards in scores.

I wanted to go out on the ice and tell Lambiel to stop practicing the 3A during the warm up for the SP. His reputation on that jump has had the Joubert fans jumping for joy. Besides the overworking warmup, he had to skate first. Look what happened. He over rotated the bloody 3A and fell which took him off his guard and he screwed up his easier jump the Quad.

This won't happen again. It will be a battle between Lambiel and Plushenko in 2008 in Goetenburg. Be there. :cool:

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
This won't happen again. It will be a battle between Lambiel and Plushenko in 2008 in Goetenburg. Be there. :cool:

Joe

I'm already anticipating that SOOOO much.

It's also gonna be pretty funny when people look in History books and see that Plushenko won Gold in 2004...was absent 3 years in a row...and then suddenly popped up again! I don't think there has EVER been that long of a gap between a skater getting a medal at Worlds!

~Z

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Joubert having PCS in the same range as Lambiel, Takahashi, and Buttle(for his clean short program performance)at this years World Championships of Figure Skating was a true injustice to fairness, and of the desire to see accurate reflection of skating standards in scores.

Typical hyperbole. Joubert deserves every single point in PCS he has earned. I would only rank him behind Lambiel.

emma

Record Breaker
So, as a huge Lambiel fan who just loved his programs at worlds - and a Takahashi fan, I would love to hear Joe's comments on Takahashi....how does he stack up in your mind?

Emma - Takahashi was better than ever. It was his finest moment in his eligible career. I shouted for both Daisuke and Stephane and got up with the standing ovations.

It was Joubert who got the polite applause which in the minds of skating fans downgraded his medal.

I think Lambiel will be even much better next year with two quads in addition to his quad combo. However I still am concerned about his knees.

Daisuke I'm holding in abeyance for the next major competition to be sure this wasn't a fluke. I do prefer Nobunari, whom I assume has learned a lesson.

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Takahashi's skating is getting better because he has more self-confidence, which is a result of his acne clearing up. IMO.

~Z

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks Joe. I saw Daisuke really coming into his own as a competitor all season, and worlds just sort of 'proved it' to me that he had arrived....I hope he can keep it up. Oda - I find amazing with those airy, light, huge jumps and personality to die for. But this is, what, the third or fourth major competition where he has made the same mistake with jumps? What is that about???

Lambiel :love: :love: :love: :love: that's all I can say. I found these programs truly breathtaking. I really, really want him to keep them just so we can all see them again.

All in all, I found the men's comp to be so exciting, the depth so amazing -- but it is so hard to compare things like edge and flow and use of ice surface on tv, that's why I asked what you thought of Takahashi.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Nancy Kerrigan is so vapid; please don't force her upon us.

Takahashi was a tiny bit better at his Nationals but still definitely amazing at Worlds and should have won.

Lambiel's program is THE BEST of the year, however. I've watched it around 30 times now and always get chills. A masterpiece.

~Z

Last edited: