Men Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

wallylutz

Medalist
He's (Chan) really putting together a Kim Yu-Na-esque season.

Nah, Yu-Na doens't have a complete repertoire of jumps in her arsenals and used to rely on 3 Double Axels because of it until the Japanese corporations...uh, I mean ISU banned such practice.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I do not see any 'art' in him. Anyway, that is why all skaters have their fans and detractors. We love and feel different things.

What I liked about his SP yesterday was that at the beginning you genuinely felt a desire on his part to feel and immerse himself in the music. It was lovely, the intent and the attack but he has to find it when others are "born with it."
Not an artist? Hrm, in my opinion Patrick Chan is head and shoulders above any male figure skaters in artistry specifically.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I do not see any 'art' in him. Anyway, that is why all skaters have their fans and detractors. We love and feel different things.

What I liked about his SP yesterday was that at the beginning you genuinely felt a desire on his part to feel and immerse himself in the music. It was lovely, the intent and the attack but he has to find it when others are "born with it."

Well, I disagree. Hard work is valued more for me than talent anyway so being "born with it" holds no value.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Fantastic! I did not think that 110+ was possible for Yuzu but I am extremely skeptical. Politicking obviously happens - to what extent it affects the results in competitions? Who knows? I cannot help but think it impossible that the FS big wigs will choose a youthful, effeminate face over a guy next door that treats his programs like athletes in other sports do - bigger, faster, stronger = greater, to he&* with presentation.

Well, Hanyu's program with perfect execution and decent PCS does have the potential for 110+ technical score, so I wouldn't say that he has no chance even if his PCS are lower.

emdee

Final Flight
Well, Hanyu's program with perfect execution and decent PCS does have the potential for 110+ technical score, so I wouldn't say that he has no chance even if his PCS are lower.

While Hanyu is my next favourite after Chan I have never seen him perfect. Even in the worlds where he podiumed I wouldn't say he was perfect

wallylutz

Medalist
Yuzuru needs to go for 2 quad toes instead of a quad salcow and toe, He just isn't consistent with that jump enough just yet. I don't even know why Orser isn't making him do two quad toes instead...

For strategic reasons, having two different Quads allow Hanyu to avoid Zayaking and therefore, include 2 X Triple Axels and Triple Lutzes later. If he were to do 2 Quad Toes, one of the repeating Triple Axel or Lutz has to be omitted.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I think fans value hard work and overcoming adversity quite a bit! Myself included. But, for some of us, the untrained members of the peanut gallery, a skate that makes us feel like we do after watching a great movie or listening to a great live concert is so important. And, this desire for 'greatness' transcends nationality and regional loyalties. I for one was ecstatic when Denis Ten skated at Worlds winning Silver. The 'simplicity' of his program did not prevent me from feeling rewarded as a spectator. I lived "The Artist" when I watched him. And that is the thing with figure skating, when there is passion and natural "it" in the performer(s), one cannot help but feel it and it is grand! When I watched Patrick skate as amazingly well as he did to Four Seasons, I kept replaying Stephane Lambiel's rendition in my head. Stephane is the one I remember when I hear the song. When Patrick skated to Concierto de Aranjuez, it almost felt as if he had blighted something holy - all I could remember was Michelle K. For me that is the mark of a true artist, when he/she can attach and fuse him/herself to a music to the point where you cannot think of one without the other. Patrick Chan has tremendous skill and amazing speed - but I feel nothing when I watch him - zero/nill. A matter of taste I suppose, since his fans see him as an artist without equal. On to the next competition!

Well, I disagree. Hard work is valued more for me than talent anyway so being "born with it" holds no value.

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
Yuzu's PCS just aren't going up. He's barely cracking 80. He's going to need good +GOE on everything to get that 110 in TES.....b/c his base TES would be about 90 had he rotated the 4S. Other than his 3A combos, the GOE on his other jumps were less than or equal to 1. The chances of him going clean are probably less than Patrick's considering that he is keeping the 4S in his FS :disapp:
Patrick's got the OGM in the bag....

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
For strategic reasons, having two different Quads allow Hanyu to avoid Zayaking and therefore, include 2 X Triple Axels and Triple Lutzes later. If he were to do 2 Quad Toes, one of the repeating Triple Axel or Lutz has to be omitted.

Is the risk worth it though even if he continually pops the 4S? Would the points with the popped 4S still be more than if he did 2 4T and taking out the repeated lutz? I mean if it is, wouldn't he be better off doing a nice 2A and getting +GOE on it than getting -GOE on a popped 4S attempt (sorry I am having trouble getting onto the ISU rulebook website so idk if he can replace the 4S with a 2A and keep his currently layout)?

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
In my view Patrick's skating can be seen as artistic, although he does not have a broad range of styles. But within those stylistic borders he is practically perfect. In that regard he is similar to Yuna Kim. And he picks his music very cleverly; since his movements are somewhat strict and stiff, the music has to be strict and stiff as well. It is a good fit. I wonder what the outcome would be if he and Jason swapped music. :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
OMG sky_fly... how the heck could Yuzu lose to Chan?!?!?! What a fraud!!!!! :disapp:

Oh wait, let me actually go see the videos of how they skated. Okay, so Chan skated cleanly with 2 quads and Yuzuru messed up both quads. I guess Chan perhaps deserved to win... although I would have placed him 2nd behind Yuzuru because he completely lacks artistry. *cue rant about how Chan's skating leaves you cold, inflation is in full swing, etc.*

Also, by your standards sky_fly, can we officially call Yuzuru a headcase? :popcorn:

Icey

Record Breaker
Isn't the water in Detroit the same one Czisny and Abott are drinking? Me thinks Chan must be having his shipped in. lol

Kelly

On the Ice
Why compare Chan to a female skater in the first place? Because he has a back to back perfect SP and LP?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, your math is wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's not. He'll be at almost 10 points above Chan in base values.

He might need to add some better transitions though to get to 110 because he needs quite good GOEs(avg 2s or so)