Men SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men SP

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
:scratch: Abbott was Jr. National Champ in 2005 and his first senior Nationals was in 2007 where he finished 4th. He repeated 4th last season at Nationals. "Been around for years" almost makes it sound like you are comparing him to Tonia Kwiatkowski or John Baldwin when that's definitely not the case.

Well, I wasn't trying to imply he was a Baldwin or Slutskaya or Arakawa in terms of longevity, but didn't he compete at Nebelhorn in the 2005/6 season as a senior? Anyway, this is his 3rd season minimum as a senior, and if I'm right about Nebelhorn, 4th season.

In a sport like figure skating (well, except maybe ice dance), to me that's quite a few seasons to be around without making a splash yet. We're all expecting our US ladies to immediately make a splash in their first -- or at most second -- season as seniors. Abbott's definitely been around longer than that. That's what I meant.

Oh, and as someone else said, he's the same age as Lysacek and others, who've been headlining for years.

ETA: Way to go, Brian!

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
In a sport like figure skating (well, except maybe ice dance), to me that's quite a few seasons to be around without making a splash yet. We're all expecting our US ladies to immediately make a splash in their first -- or at most second -- season as seniors. Abbott's definitely been around longer than that. That's what I meant.
Well, Tomas Verner started as a senior in 2002 and never made even so much as a ripple before 2006-7. He failed to make it out of the QR at 2005 Worlds, which will forever be remembered as a splatfest of the highest order. Some guys just take longer to find their personality and confidence on the ice.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I cannot think rationally about the other skaters yet. I am wrapped in a cocoon of absolute bliss, and I am sure that some others who care about Brian are in a similar state lol. I simply cannot wipe the smile off my face, and my eyes are wet.

Brian does not have to win to please me. I am only happy for him, that he had such a good skate today, and I very much hope to see it, somehow.

Ah, Brian! C'est si bon! :love:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Now, be honest: how many of you had Alexander Uspenski as the top Russian after the SP? :eek:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, my 2nd-favorite Tomas Verner started as a senior in 2002 and never made even so much as a ripple before 2006-7. He failed to make it out of QR at 2005 Worlds, which will forever be remembered as a splatfest of the highest order. Some guys just take longer to find their personality and confidence on the ice.

I think Abbott has his own style, and it's a great one. I think it's the consistency issue that's holding him back, and, indeed, perhaps he can work on it. I'm sorry if I sound down on Abbott, I don't mean to, I just think it takes more than one great competition to really become a "contender." I don't think it's realistic, or even fair to the skater insofar as he may feel unwarranted pressure, to think someone's about to win or medal at every competition in sight after just one good outing.

Maybe Abbott will have a great LP!

VORONOV comments, anyone?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, my 2nd-favorite Tomas Verner started as a senior in 2002 and never made even so much as a ripple before 2006-7. He failed to make it out of QR at 2005 Worlds, which will forever be remembered as a splatfest of the highest order. Some guys just take longer to find their personality and confidence on the ice.

Agreed! Jeremy is a late bloomer, but in no means an incompetent skater. He's landed successful clean 4toes 3 times in ISU competition, more than Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir. His problem jump last season, the 3Axel, he has now successfully landed 4 out of 4 attempts this season. Also, with his performances at this season's Cup of China, Jeremy produced the highest recorded score internationally for an American male under the COP judging system. I think he had an unfortunate brain freeze on the 3Lutz in the SP here . . . he usually doesn't miss that jump and I'm sure he's angry with himself about that. Hopefully, he uses that anger to fuel his performance in the LP.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just think it takes more than one great competition to really become a "contender." I don't think it's realistic, or even fair to the skater insofar as they may feel unwarranted pressure, to think someone's about to win or medal at every competition in sight after just one good outing.
I think I've got at least ten posts on various threads saying just that, so obviously ITA. Best of luck to Jeremy tomorrow!

beep_beep, I missed most of Voronov's skate but it seems he was pretty much out of it after his quad attempt didn't work.

decker

On the Ice
Now, be honest: how many of you had Alexander Uspenski as the top Russian after the SP? :eek:

I'm still holding out hope that Sasha turns the corner to greatness ... but not in my wildest dreams would I have predicted top Russian after the SP!

What happened to Voronov? Unfortunately, I'm sneaking peaks at the office and got called away to do my job LOL. I caught the look on his face in the Kiss n Cry, which pretty much told the tale. But exactly how bad was it?

Susan

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
I'm still trying to find out what happened to Voronov. Seriously, what did he do (or didn't do) to be dead last ??

He stepped out of possibly underrotated 4T and single the loop.
I think he's still suffered a foot injury which forced him to omit lutz/flip jumps in his program.

so_proud

Rinkside
Congrats, Brian Joubert!!
See. He has something special in his skating. I knew it even watching his performance in the TEB, where he was the 4th. :)

Go for the GPF, Jeremy!!

Love_Skate

Rinkside
Wow, Brian!

I was disheartened after retirements of Jeff and Stephen, and injury of Dai. Today I become an official fan of Brian. Beautiful Brian! :rock:

BTW, TT looked like a teenage girl before him. :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh Brian! I was jumping up and down, my brother thought I had gone crazy. What a perfect skate - and my, the guy is handsome. Where did all the pessimism from the last week go? :bow:

And I think Brian proved that the Quad is very important, if you really want to be the one at the top and don't want to depend on the mistakes of the others. Joubert probably didn't have the same levels and GOEs on spins and steps as quadless Chan has/had - but the Quad can give him the edge, he earns at least 4 points more with the Quad (concerning the jumps) and if he doesn't water down the rest too much - voilà, only Takahashi and Plushenko scored higher than that under COP. The highest TES for a short program so far had his compatriot Ponsero at Skate Canada, and even he scored more than 3 points less.

What a man, what a fighter - after coming in 4th on his home-soil, after not being on the podium for the first time since the Olympics 2006 - he just got out there and showed everyone how it's done. Impressive. :rock:

I also enjoy Préaubert's sudden consistency and the way he saved those jumps - I couldn't even watch on the Flip, he looked so off - and somehow tacked on the 3 Toe without a serious mistake on the entire combo.

Loved KVDP. Night on a bald Mountain is like the Heavy Metal classic of the 19th century and really suits him. Great jumps, but I would prefer to see him doing a Quad instead of Triple Loop (which he inserted, I think, because of his edge-call-endangered Lutz).

And Rippon! I was so happy for him, he looked relaxed and really happy, that smile after the 3A was gorgeous. Great program, even with the morosoved footwork. He exuded confidence and looked as if he had loads of fun out there.

I felt bad for Abbott, but the mistakes weren't that bad, wasn't his best day but it's not like he completely bombed. The program is a religious experience in my opinion - amazingly done. He still has a shot at the podium and even fourth place could secure him the final.

Verner needs to get his act together, he has amazing skating skills, great showman skills, beautiful jumps... Now I want some results, not just one good competition every year.

Did you notice how some of the Russians just turned their flags around so it would be the Tricolore? So cute! I am glad that Joubert gave the Russians another incredible performance after COR 2006. :clap:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I cannot think rationally about the other skaters yet. I am wrapped in a cocoon of absolute bliss, and I am sure that some others who care about Brian are in a similar state lol. I simply cannot wipe the smile off my face, and my eyes are wet.

Brian does not have to win to please me. I am only happy for him, that he had such a good skate today, and I very much hope to see it, somehow.

Ah, Brian! C'est si bon! :love:

Glad I'm not the only one to religiously adore Brian!!!!!!!!
I supose evryone has their own weakness: alcohol, drugs... Others have Brian!!!!!:laugh:

VIVE BABOU!!!!!!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yeah, Babou was quite impressive tonight. He's the last of the mohicans, in a sense. Good ol' 4+3. Maybe Plushy's presence motivated him.

I would have placed Préaubert ahead of Rippon.

KvdP: nice jumps!