Mens Free from TV | Golden Skate

Mens Free from TV

kyla2

Final Flight
Evan Was Robbed

I guess the title says how I feel. A clean and difficult skate is once again undervalued under CoP.

Evan's new program is so much better. What a shame he won't be ale to do the GP final. Can he chalenge Weir for the U.S. title?

Vash01

Medalist
kyla2 said:
I guess the title says how I feel. A clean and difficult skate is once again undervalued under CoP.

Oda had more difficult spins and transitions. Evan's program was new and it showed, especially toward the end.

Vash

Kasey

Medalist
What level poses does Evan engage in the first 20 seconds or so of his program? Just a comment....why can't his choreography include skating and not standing still there? Oh well.

Oda beat Evan mostly on the spins, three of which I believe were level 4 and one level 3. Also he had a 3 jump combo when Evan didn't. I don't think there was "wuzrobbing" there.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Kevin VDP and Takeshi Honda both struggled and it was painful to watch - especially Takeshi. :( I think the pressure was really getting to him, after watching the way he blew that last spin.

Takahashi : I still love the program but he didn't have it together like he did at SA. Too many ticky errors - I think part of it was due to nerves and pressure.

Lysacek - gorsh, this program is like, 500 times better than Grease. I thought Grease looked like a better prospect for an exhibition program. I was impressed with the energy he put into it, especially since I've read how his hip was painful throughout the performance.

Oda : still young and still developing. He had the best "Oksana Baiul" moment in the Kiss & Cry I've seen in a while, and this wasn't even Nationals or Olympics!
I couldn't help laughing at Evan's reaction backstage while that was going on. :rofl:

ETA: I actually did watch the event after the CheddarCheesefest on ABC, and since Joe complained about no one reporting on NHK, I figured I would equalize things and chip in with my two cents here. ;)

Kasey said:
What level poses does Evan engage in the first 20 seconds or so of his program? Just a comment....why can't his choreography include skating and not standing still there? Oh well.
This sort of thing is a rest period. Evgeny loves to pose and rest during his programs and he is clever enough to look to the audience for applause. But he does get his rest stops.

Joe

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
lil lion 816 said:
Oda : still young and still developing. He had the best "Oksana Baiul" moment in the Kiss & Cry I've seen in a while, and this wasn't even Nationals or Olympics!
I couldn't help laughing at Evan's reaction backstage while that was going on. :rofl:

That was my favorite NHK moment. Evan was trying so hard not to roll his eyes.
And Oda's reaction was just priceless. Who sez the Japanese are reserved, huh?

I'm glad Kevin VdP buckled his swash a bit higher for this event, but I'm not sure I like his new Sparkly Pirate look, either. It's a shame his injuries have gotten the better of him. I love his music, but he just lumbers along to it. :disapp:

And Honda's long program - what a heartbreaker. :cry:

And is anyone left standing to go to the final?

xoxo
Rave

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I loved Oda's reaction in the KnC.

I can understand why he reacted that way being because there is only 1 spot at the olympics and with him winning at NHK in his hometown, he bettered his chances at qualifying for the Olympics. He is such a sweet boy and cannot wait for him to reach his full potential in 2010 although he may have an outside chance in 2006 if he qualifys

Lysacek was backstage thinking "Oh my God, Get over it" :laugh:

kyla2

Final Flight
Oda

Oda's performance was sloppy. The transitions shouldn't count more than a clean program but under CoP they clearly do. I have major problem with that and so do many of the skaters. There are quite a few skaters who are unhappy with CoP. Paul Wylie didn't agree witht he result either.

Arianne

On the Ice
Did anyone notice that Evan ripped out his pants in a really bad place? I don't think he noticed, but it was obvious at the end of the program. Yet another costume disaster!

I have a hard time judging what is more difficult, so to my eyes, Evan had the more enjoyable and more well-put-together skate and I thought he should have won. And yes, I pointed out to my husband that Evan had split the crotch of his pants, so I definitely noticed that.

Oda seems very promising, just needs some maturity and refining.

I got a kick out of Evan's reaction to Oda's reaction in the kiss-n-cry, too.....but I can understand why Oda was so beside himself! That was a big moment for him!

waxel

Final Flight
And the cry-baby award is taken from Johnny Weir (Skate Canada) and proudly bestowed on Oda. Okay, sorry. Not being snarky about either one of them... but Oda's breakdown WAS a bit over the top. But it was sweet I guess (and yes, funny). However, I thought his TES scored was grossly inflated... he scored 74.84 compared to Plushy's 72.50 (CoR). Seems high. If I were choosing a fave male Japanese skater it would be Takehashi. Oda's still quite rough around the edges.

Liked Evan's program--- although his music edit could have been more exciting. His costume is somewhat plain- but he'll probably have a new one for Nats. And YES--- I did notice he split the crotch in his pants. I'm sure he was appalled when he realized it.

It was a pretty dull competition all the way around.

waxel said:
Liked Evan's program--- although his music edit could have been more exciting. His costume is somewhat plain- but he'll probably have a new one for Nats. And YES--- I did notice he split the crotch in his pants. I'm sure he was appalled when he realized it.
Hi waxell. Have you ever seen Carmen, the Opera? or know the story? Evan did the Don Jose part. He's the first skater I know of that did the Flower Song and the lyrical passages associate with this character in the opera. Don Jose lost his love; lost his job; lost his dignity and that is why the costume Evan was wearing worked. He did a commendable job since many viewers (and definitely you) wanted to see more of a Toreador interpretation of the Opera. Well Don Jose was not the Toreador. For me it's nice to see variations in skaters.

As to the competition, I would have given him 1st. Oda had this intricate Wilson choreography which he was not up to. Few skaters are.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I always prefer a stoic reaction from skaters to the results (positive or negative), so I was not impressed with Oda's or Nakano's (and she cried before even the last skater had skated!). I understand these young skaters wanting something so badly and unable to control their emotions in public. I hope they will be more controlled in the future. It is OK to show emotions- joy, sorrow, disappointment, but I prefer that they are more controlled (no tears please, and definitely no sobbing)- that's just me.

I would have totally understood if Honda had cried at that point, but being older (24) he was much more dignified. I was heart broken for him. After that unexpected fall after stepping out of the 3flip, he seemed to lose heart and just gave up on the program. That was so sad.

Vash

waxel

Final Flight
Hi Joe: Yes, I know Carmen pretty well. I did not miss the Toreador Song in Evan's program. But there are many other segments of the score that offer movement and momentum ('Les tringles des sistres tintaient,' 'Seguedille,' etc.). I liked his program very much... I just thought it could perhaps use a dash of spice.

You bring up an interesting point though, that there is much music from Carmen that remains largely unexplored by skaters. Fans are so accustomed to hearing the Toreador Song and the Habanera that it's easy to forget how rich the score truly is.

waxel said:
Hi Joe: Yes, I know Carmen pretty well. I did not miss the Toreador Song in Evan's program. But there are many other segments of the score that offer movement and momentum ('Les tringles des sistres tintaient,' 'Seguedille,' etc.). I liked his program very much... I just thought it could perhaps use a dash of spice.

You bring up an interesting point though, that there is much music from Carmen that remains largely unexplored by skaters. Fans are so accustomed to hearing the Toreador Song and the Habanera that it's easy to forget how rich the score truly is.
Hi Waxel -If one must use opera and ballet scores, then they should dig out different movements from those scores. TT finally brought out that Black Swan Pas de Deux from Swan Lake for Sasha. It was so good to hear the unusual music for figure skating than the usual tunes picked out. Maybe someone can eke out a good Wagner piece for skating. Buttle does use the opening of Tristan but it doesn't stay with it.

The music Evan used was mostly quite lyrical and at his age (18) young for male skater would take a Johnny Weir to grab the audience. Nevertheless he was more interesting than Oda, imo.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
He's using the Rodion Shchedrin version of the music, which was written for the Carmen Suite ballet choreographed for RS's wife, Maya Plitsetskaya, by Alberto Alonso. While Lysacek's gestures aren't identical, they are related to those Alonso choreographed in the ballet.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Hi Waxel -If one must use opera and ballet scores, then they should dig out different movements from those scores. TT finally brought out that Black Swan Pas de Deux from Swan Lake for Sasha. It was so good to hear the unusual music for figure skating than the usual tunes picked out. Maybe someone can eke out a good Wagner piece for skating. Buttle does use the opening of Tristan but it doesn't stay with it.

The music Evan used was mostly quite lyrical and at his age (18) young for male skater would take a Johnny Weir to grab the audience. Nevertheless he was more interesting than Oda, imo.

Joe

Evan is 19 - just a minor detail.

I liked the Black Swan used by Oksana Baiul in her 94 SP.

Vash

Vash01 said:
Evan is 19 - just a minor detail.

I liked the Black Swan used by Oksana Baiul in her 94 SP.

Vash
Very few boys skate with any maturity. There are exceptions but few. IMO, Klimkin and Weir. However, as they get older they get better, Kulik, e.g.