Men's Free Skate - Japan, France, and uhhhhhh | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Japan, France, and uhhhhhh

Oda, for me, has to be the most entertaining skater I've seen in a long time. His SPs are priceless but it seems his LPs can not match his SPs. Once he gets to fixing that up, he will win.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
For now, I don't get all the Oda love. He's promising, yes, but I don't think the style is there yet. I've been finding him a tad over-rated That said, my new fav to watch this year is Preaubert, who is an absolute joy. He just looks like he's having so much fun out there.....it's hard to remember the last time I saw a guy look as if he's having a blast while skating his programs. He's a natural showman.

Joubert is looking pretty unbeatable out there this season. I find his LP choreographically is just at a whole new level. Frankly, with him skating this way, I don't think it would be a done deal that Plushenko would be on top if he was to come back to skating.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Only a top form Lambiel could challenge Joubert this year IMO and he really like seems mess this year. I am worried what on earth he is going to have in store for us at the Europeans. I dont think Oda, Takahashi, Lysacek can really challenge Joubert this year, they can all challenge for bronze, or possably silver at Worlds, depending what kind of shape Lambiel is in by then.

I like Preaubert's skating too, he is very fun to watch.

One has to realize, Joubert had to deal every competition with Plushenko in the past. Not easy! This will be his year to show his strength. So far so good.

Nothing wrong with Lambiel being up there, too, but he must be healthy. That remains to be seen.

Joe

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Yeah nobody could beat Plushenko in the past unless he had a couple falls or something. Hopefully Joubert's current level of skating will push the other guys to want to beat him-guys like Lambiel, Oda, and Takahashi, and they will push each other to level of skating and scores that will make it hard for Plushenko to return and be on top again.

I hope Plushenko, if he plans to return, will be working on how to spin and maybe actually get all the way down in a sits spin. a good camel will work too. But he gets away with these second class elements, maybe he doesn't need to improve his spinning.

Joe

amber68

On the Ice
I hope Plushenko, if he plans to return, will be working on how to spin and maybe actually get all the way down in a sits spin. a good camel will work too. But he gets away with these second class elements, maybe he doesn't need to improve his spinning.

Joe

While I agree with you about the sit spin, I really don't understand what's wrong with Plushenko's camel spin.He has one of the best camel spins in the business (please watch it and tell me what's wrong with it).
There are very few of the elligible skaters able to do nice camel spins but Plushenko is one of them.

Actually most of the top skaters have bad camel spins: Lambiel & Takahashi have bad camel spins (the free leg drops), Joubert almost does not have a camel spin (he rarely manages do do the required number of revolutions)

Actually most of the top skaters have bad camel spins: Lambiel & Takahashi have bad camel spins (the free leg drops), Joubert almost does not have a camel spin (he rarely manages do do the required number of revolutions)
I use Maria Butryskaya as the bench mark for excellent camel spins, and I agree with you that few Men can come up to that standard. I'll check out Plushy on Youtube and look for the camel. (Remember, I am a stickler for perfect position)

As for Joubert, his camel position this season has shown a thousand per cent improvement. He is executing it at the perfect position - free leg slightly higher than paralel to the ice and body also paralel to ice. Watch Joubert next time out.

I prefer classic camels rather than out of whack leg positions. Sticking one's leg up in the air while spinning doesn't get to me unless it's a la Butryskaya.

Joe

Just checked out Evgeni's LP and he does have a decent camel if not a great one but oh how he can not do a sit spin. BTW, he does travel some distance in the air on his jumps,.

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I use Maria Butryskaya as the bench mark for excellent camel spins (Remember, I am a stickler for perfect position)

Her position was probably good because she kept her entire body so STIFF throughout her entire performances.

~Z

amber68

On the Ice
As for Joubert, his camel position this season has shown a thousand per cent improvement. He is executing it at the perfect position - free leg slightly higher than paralel to the ice and body also paralel to ice. Watch Joubert next time out.

I Joe

I saw Joubert's program from Cup of Russia and the thousand per cent improvement probably refers to the fact that, finally he managed to hold the camel position for 2 revs (but barely!).

I saw Joubert's program from Cup of Russia and the thousand per cent improvement probably refers to the fact that, finally he managed to hold the camel position for 2 revs (but barely!).
Have to disagree. I was speaking of the position of the camel. It is classic now. The revs could be fixed up by Lucinda.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Have to disagree. I was speaking of the position of the camel. It is classic now. The revs could be fixed up by Lucinda.

Joe

I agree i think his camel this season looks much much better than last seaon. Hi sit, however, looks suspiciously like Pluschenko's - rather high and not making the right angle.

Ant

There's a strategy about sitsspins, Ant. First of all they use up a lot of energy. If you only go half way down, you only use up half the energy of a full sit spin. and the skating leg takes a lot of pressure on a full sit when coming up to vertical. If a skater is planning 3 triples at the last 2 minutes of his routine, you will not see a sit spin until those jumps are put away. then ending with a final flying sit to scratch, unfortunately comes off week as most energy becomes exhausted. Not all coaches are aware of this.

The trouble with a half sit spin is that, imo, it is ugly unless something is done with the arms and hands to make it look exotic.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
There's a strategy about sitsspins, Ant. First of all they use up a lot of energy. If you only go half way down, you only use up half the energy of a full sit spin. and the skating leg takes a lot of pressure on a full sit when coming up to vertical. If a skater is planning 3 triples at the last 2 minutes of his routine, you will not see a sit spin until those jumps are put away. then ending with a final flying sit to scratch, unfortunately comes off week as most energy becomes exhausted. Not all coaches are aware of this.

The trouble with a half sit spin is that, imo, it is ugly unless something is done with the arms and hands to make it look exotic.

Joe

I can see that being very true - i don't think joubert has come a cropper with the new sit spin rules though. I wonder if anyone has, for that matter.

Ant