Men's Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

coolio

Rinkside
Jasper said:
I doubt he'll come back.

When Lambiel lands all of his jumps, he is undoubtedly better than Plushenko whether or not the judges agree. His three performances here? Plushenko's in Torino don't compare.
Last year's skating was pretty nice too, but I still like Evgeni's jumps better, he is simply a natural jumper. Most skates in Torino though are a different matter, they were mediocre at best, but Evgeni has always produced consistently great performances in the past and I believe in the future as well

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like both Brian and Stephane so am happy. Good for Evan. This mens comp was better than the Olympics.

Dee

Jasper

Final Flight
Plushenko gets great height on his jumps and always lands them strong, but I don't find his air positions very aesthetically pleasing. They're not as tight and easy as, for example, Weir and Buttle's jumps when they're landed.

enlight78

Medalist
Jasper said:
When Lambiel lands all of his jumps, he is undoubtedly better than Plushenko whether or not the judges agree. His three performances here? Plushenko's in Torino don't compare.
I agree. Lambiel was amazing and so was Brian. Two footed, I don't care, I'm glad the americans went after a quad.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
So the Canadian men have swept the podium at Skate Canada for 2 years in a row now, and yet the Worlds roll around to Canada and Buttle and Sandhu, two of the most talented men in skating right now (IMO), can't get on the podium? Go figure.

Jasper

Final Flight
Actually Oda from Japan won the bronze at the most recent Skate Canada, but you still make a point.

coolio

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
So the Canadian men have swept the podium at Skate Canada for 2 years in a row now, and yet the Worlds roll around to Canada and Buttle and Sandhu, two of the most talented men in skating right now (IMO), can't get on the podium? Go figure.
Well, Emmanuelle is learning and improving, and Jeffery has already got a medal.
We should at least give kudos to Emmanuelle to finish top 5 for the first time in the world, probably his best showing since he won GP years ago. But unless they learn to land nice quads, they wont get on the podiums, though every year their chances are improving.

Nmsis

On the Ice
Wooohooo !!!
After those dreadfull Olympics, these Worlds are amazing. In each and every category.
Brian was imperial and Stephane royal.
Such a nice competition !
I love ice skating again.

Yes, Jeff tried a quad, but his pick wasn't solid, he barely got three revolutions and fell out of the landing.

JonnyCoop said:
This doesn't seem surprising to me. The field at Skate Canada is nowhere near as strong as at the world championship, no matter where it's held.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great competition and the judges got it right with the placements.
Brian's program was perfection for him tonight, Evan did the
quad/triple not perfect but he did it and did not fall and.......
Stephan deserved the gold he was just wonderful.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
What a great competiton. Everyone was in fighting spirit and nailing all their planned jumps. Just think about the expressions on the faces of the top 3 after they struck their ending poses on their freeskate. I'll never forget it.

Kasey

Medalist
Congrats to my boy Griazev for a clean skate and moving up a little

Congrats to Klimkin and Sandhu for not melting down completely

Congrats to judges for not "holding up" Buttle into the medals with a weak performance

Congrats to the three medalists all being DESERVING based on the performances!!! Three clean performances, with quads, to medal! WHEEEE!

Kasey

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:

I figure they didn't deserve to here, based on their performances. It happens.

mike79

On the Ice
What a great night of skating! I think the placements for all were deserved. I might have had Sandhu with slightly higher marks, putting him ahead of Oda overall, but he made his bed in the Q-Round. I was so happy to see him skate so well. It may not have been perfect but it will do. It was really nice to see his coach's reaction. She really cares for him.

As much as I can barely stand to watch Joubert's barebones choreography he skated brilliantly and completely deserved his silver.

I'm really becoming a fan of Lysacek. His skating has grown so much over the last two years it's unbelievable. I like what one of the Canadian commentators said: "If he ever showed up to Worlds completely healthy, look out!"

Lambiel was head and shoulders the class of the field. I love his LP and he skated with command. I know some might disagree but I think he has one of the best outfits for his LP that I've seen anyone have in recent years.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Confession

I had a secret love child with Brian Joubert...

But in all reality, he brought the goods at worlds! I knew he had performances like that in him.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to all medalists and especially to my big favourites Stephane and Evan!!! I have been an Evan fan since those days I watched him winning the silver medal twice at Junior WC (unfortunately only on TV). It was so great to hear that both Stephane and Evan repeated their medals from Worlds 2005. Will be eagerly looking forward to our broadcast to start about in an hour....

I like Stephane´s fs costume (as well as the sp one), it shows imagination.

I have not felt men´s WC competitions - with the exception of 2005 - to be this exciting since 1998 and before that. There are several really interesting skaters competing about the medals.

Last edited: