Men's LP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

herios

Medalist
Congrats to the medalists, especially Taka-chan!!!

I can't remember how many times I shouted "Noooooo" to the TV screen, but Taka-chan made my day! Thank you, Taka-chan!!!

On that note, I am thrilled for him. I have been liking this young man ever since 2008. And Kurt Browning's prediction takes shape here at the 2011 Worlds. He has said that he thinks, Taka Kozuka will be Patrick's main rival going into Sochi. They clearly emerged here out of the pack

Ravensque

On the Ice
Patrick Chan World Champion!!

DAMN that sounds good.

For those who can't handle it...Too bad!! :D

A skater's skater has won again (Dai is another one of those IMO) which is an excellent thing for the sport.

Okay now...Russian Members, you're not going to like this, so you're warned....

That Medal Ceremony was wonderful. That is until it was time for the playing of Oh Canada. I don't care who made that bush league decision to play a shortened version of Oh Canada, in fact it could have been any Gold Medalist's Anthem other than a Russian skater, and I'll get to that in a minute, because no one who wins a World Title in any sport deserves that!!

If you talk to any Athlete, what do they look forward to the most? What do they dream of? Standing on that top spot w/their Anthem playing and singing along w/it. Patrick did not get that. However, I'm betting that if Artur had pulled off one hell of an upset, we would have heard the complete Russian National Anthem in all it's glory.

That was disgusting and I was so impressed by how Moscow was pulling these Championships off too. It really did look like they'd pulled of a wonderful and classy event. Up to the Medal Ceremony that is.

As I said before...I'm sorry Russian Members, but that really was a disgusting move to make.

I'm with you on that one, my friend. Respect should be paid to the country the athelete comes from. Oh Canada has to be one of the shortest national anthems, so there is no excuse to shorten it. I feel that no nat. anthem should be shortened in any case or like circumstance.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Aspire to a medal, sure, but demonstrate that. I can aspire to a World medal, but if I don't step on the ice, than it's all talk.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
I absolutely agree with you, Joe!
I'm soooo happy for Chan and Kozuka, but Gachinski's just a Plushenko wannabe....even though he's less annoying than Plushenko.

I could comment on all the skaters but for now, I will just comment on the Podium.

Chan - you don't need protocols to understand the Winner! His skating was a blend of high tech and musical performance, which is what it should be. A few others have this.

Kozuka - He had nothing to lose so he went for it! Super comeback from his dreary SP. Much deserved Silver.

Gachinsky - We've got another Plushenko on our hands, unfortunately. It was all about the jumps, and some with wonky landings. There was little reason for his frantic footwork in his interpretation score. His body movements are completely staccoto, and those poses are so archeic. Can you honestly say, you enjoyed his spins? I agree with Hernando, the imposter was at his best.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Aspire to a medal, sure, but demonstrate that. I can aspire to a World medal, but if I don't step on the ice, than it's all talk.

So you of all people want censorship. Let's start with some of the nonsense that has come out of Chan's mouth the past few seasons.

By all means, no more comments from any skaters :sheesh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So you think Bradley had no right to aspire to a medal?
What about Alissa? She hopes to skate her best and maybe win amedal. Should we ban skaters for thinking that way?

Itis supposed to be a sport, remember :think:

Of course he had the right to want to medal. But then he needed to do all that were required within his power. Points I brought up are so elementary and mininum for any aspirant.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Congrats to Chan for his Gold! Unlike the SP this LP never grew on me and his (understandable) nervousness kind of showed in his performance. That said, wow, a skater's skater who can do three quads in one competition- Is Sochi's Gold his?!

Daisuke's accident made me so upset I was in tears the entire time he was skating. I was moved by his performance the best which can't be backed up with any logic- He put his soul to the performance and I really felt it. It's a shame such aspect, or the reverse (Chan's slight stiffness today), doesn't seem to matter with CoP.

Yay Kozuka!!!!!!!

herios

Medalist
So you think Bradley had no right to aspire to a medal?
What about Alissa? She hopes to skate her best and maybe win amedal. Should we ban skaters for thinking that way?

It is supposed to be a sport, remember :think:

It is a sport indeed, but this sports values more than jumping ability. Ryan unfortunately lacks some technical skills as well (deep edges, speed, fast spinning ability). His slow speed makes difficult to design an effective choreography.

And Alissa is in another situation than Ryan. She has chances for a podium, unlike Ryan.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Kozuka had a lower base value than Chan but thanks to GOE(which were deserved, everything he did was flawless) he beat Chan on TES. But he looses 10 points on the PCS to Chan. Isn't a bit too much 10 points?

That's just absurd. If Chan was totally clean, maybe he might deserve the PCS. IF Chan got 91, Kazuko PCS should have been in the 86-87 range. What a joke!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Michal Brezina and Laura Lepisto are the best blade-to-ice skaters in the World, in your opinion Joesitz? Okaaaaay then.

I will remember this competition as an excellent display of technical ability. The sport of Figure Skating is becoming incredibly deep in the amount of people who are able to skate well technically. Artistically, I think the programs were mostly lackluster. Some of Takahashi's and Amodio's earlier performances this season are what I will remember when it comes to interesting skating (certainly NOT their LP performances from this competition, though).

And the BEST program of this entire season choreographically was Jason Brown at U.S. Nationals.

Gachinsky brought it today. He may not be the overall 3rd best skater in the World, but today he was because others faltered, one way or another.

That's why we have actual competitions. The ice is slippery. etc.
Some fans have more taste than praising selling jumps. We argued that profusely when others considered skating skills of Chan were more important than 4 Falls.
Tell me more about Gachinsky's stacotto skating skills, and weird poses.
There were many many "others" which you apparently ignored with better skating skills. I'm always open to be corrected.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Gachinski did a quad triple when it mattered and was clean when it mattered. He did win bronze because of jumps . What was he like 7th in PCS in the SP and FS? Few did benefit more from others mistakes. But he went out there and did a 4/3 and added a 3/3 to his free skate instead of doing a quad in combo. He has been doing those programs since the Finlandia trophy and he could be faster but there is tons of stuff going on. The judges gave him like 7's except for one judge probably Russian who gave him 8's but that was the outlier and still lower than other skaters. They are saying he has room to grow and he will I am sure. He has to. Plus people were complaining about his hair and he made it neater. LOL.

Chan is so far ahead and it is true maybe now Kozuka will get higher PCS which has been low because he was not seen as the best Japanese skater!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gachinsky brought it today. He may not be the overall 3rd best skater in the World, but today he was because others faltered, one way or another.

That's why we have actual competitions. The ice is slippery. etc.
Tell me more about Gachinsky's spins and Interpretation. If you liked them, it is a reflexion on your taste.

It's not about my taste or just some elements in the skate. It's the total points that determined the placements. The young Russian landed quad/triple and he skated with so much energy throughout. No phoning in the program. The audience support evidently helped.

I don't begrudge somebody's placement based on my personal taste. I have congratulated many skaters not of my preferred style, even when they beat my favorite. I don't choose my favorites by placements either.

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's not about being like Patrick. It's basic choreography of a program with any chance of winning. He was supposed to rechoreograph his SP and yet it's still his backside presented to the judges almost the whole time. How were they supposed to see his "performance" with facial expressions?

And there is no chance of podium or close to it without respectable PCS. Sure Bradley could do what he wanted, but he kept talking about wanting to medal at Worlds.

His shortcomings are obvious. Even if he had done all those things you say a medal was a looooooooooooooong shot. I just don't see the need to harp on it. He's probably done with competition and like you said earlier, good for him for making another world team. Moving on now...

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
After today medal, I hope Kozuka will be getting the same PCS as Chan. He is the top Japanese skater now!!
Oda, i just don't know what to say. That kid should hang up his skate, go back to school and learn how to count 0_O ...
He totally throw away his medal. Too bad about Dai. Looks like his days of skating are over??? He already accomplished so many thing. A world champ. Olym bronze!! Either way he is a legend from Japan.

Layfan

Record Breaker
After today medal, I hope Kozuka will be getting the same PCS as Chan. He is the top Japanese skater now!!
Oda, i just don't know what to say. That kid should hang up his skate, go back to school and learn how to count 0_O ...
He totally throw away his medal. Too bad about Dai. Looks like his days of skating are over??? He already accomplished so many thing. A world champ. Olym bronze!! Either way he is a legend from Japan.

Yeah, Daisuke will be remembered for last season, not this one. Just like Yuna no matter how she does this weekend.

alexeifan

On the Ice
The real question in this competition is.... how did the Russians make a second Plushenko, do they make them in some kind of factory? If so.. this is scary!!!!!!!

And if there is such a factory....try the alexei model instead :biggrin:

kensal

Rinkside
The real question in this competition is.... how did the Russians make a second Plushenko, do they make them in some kind of factory? If so.. this is scary!!!!!!!

Any Russian skater is automatically "new Plushenko". I believe it is the matter of taste preference and cultural difference. Russians find Plushenko's style appealing, some people abroad do not get the appeal.