Michelle - Good News/Bad News | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle - Good News/Bad News

rjulie510

Rinkside
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kwan on 4CC. Sure, she can skate LP on December Cheesefest, but 4CC gives her a chance to skate both SP and LP in front of international judges -IMO Kwan should go to 4CC. She needs as much CoP feedback as possible. After 4CC, she still has about a month until Turino Ladies figure skating, so that's enough time to make changes to programs according to feedback.

Yes, Sasha did fine after missing GP but the difference is Sasha has quite a bit of CoP experience whereas Michelle doesn't.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think that Sasha, Michelle or any of the top skaters have more to lose reputation wise if they come back from an injury too soon. If they have a poor showing beause of still not being 100% or from not enough practice time post injury they will get dissed one way or the other. Emily Hughes gets respect for competing after an illness but if Kwan or Cohen would have had a poor shoing at SA becaue they missed training time due to their injuries the public would not have been as sympahetic. Why is it that someone is given more slack for an illness than an injury? One is no more credible a reason to miss training or competetions than the other, IMO.

The most depressing part is that it is not certain that Michelle will be able to do the Olympics at all. Sasha's injury (a painful bone bruise) will heal with rest and she should be as good as new, unless she falls again on the same hip.

But with Michelle, there might be a reason why she suffered this particular type of injury. Maybe it was from practicing combinations which end in a loop. Maybe it was from working on new spin variations.

It seems possible to me that the injury might continue to restrict her range of movement for the whole season, so that even by February she will still have trouble performing all the necessary tricks without aggravating the problem.

Mathman :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I never thought about her not being able to do the OLYs. But I get the impression from her article that she's on the way to recovery, and she's pulling out of CoC just to be on the safe side. I think she'll be fine for the December event (which I'll be shocked if she doesn't do), Nats and Olys. After that I'm almost sure she'll retire (too much on the body? The "fact" that she got injured now (and she hasn't been injured in years) tells me that she may not put in another four years to stay until 2010. In fact I think it's clear to me that she is staying in to get a shot at the Olympic gold- she has all the other golds she could ever hope for.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Now Irina will have to dream-up a way to keep her 'play' under wraps until Russian Natls or maybe until Euros..

Hmm...since we already know that Irina's strategy was to debut a new costume and program at the Japan Invitational, I guess her strategy for keeping this stuff under wraps wasn't such a good one. :) Unless, of course, her strategy was to throw us crazy fans off track with a "fake costume and new program" then skip the GP, then show up at Euros with something different. Geez. And we thought preparing a 3/3 for competition was difficult.

I am very sorry that MK has had to pull out of COC. Red Dog can "nit pick" exactly how this was communicated all day long, but I'm quite sure MK is very disappointed about this, no matter what. I suspect she is the LAST person on earth who wanted anything other than her mind directing her season. And I honestly don't believe she was out to skip the GP this time.

JMO.

DG

kyla2

Final Flight
Oh Well.....

I wish Michelle could do one CoP event so the international judges won't have any excuse not to give her decent marks at the Olympics I am very worried that they will hold it against her that she didn't do a CoP event. It will REALLY worry me if she does a cheesefest and doesn't do a CoP event. All I want for Michelle (and Sasha) is a level playing field when they step on the ice. Maybe I am being paranoid, and the ISU is really a much nicer bunch of people than I think they are. I would love to be proven wrong on this one.

Kuchana

On the Ice
With Michelle's inexperience with the COP unfortuantely kyla, the field is not leveled. I hope that she will also do a COP event (other than Nationals and if the ISU lets her) but at this point, it seems unlikely.

brad640

On the Ice
Even if Michelle withdraws from nationals she will still get a bye to the Olympics. It could end up being a situation where the alternate would end up getting a chance to skate at the last minute. Alissa has definitely shown that she makes a great alternate, and I could see her joining Sasha and Kimmie on the team and doing well. I wish Tonya H had gotten the boot from skating sooner so Michelle could have skated in 94. Tonya's programs were crap.

Eeyora

Final Flight
This time it is a wise decision for the Kwan Camp. I hope she skates a 4 CC because it is the total points that count not the ranking. The good thing is Doctor Yu prdicted it would only take two weeks off and it did.

soogar

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Even if Michelle withdraws from nationals she will still get a bye to the Olympics. It could end up being a situation where the alternate would end up getting a chance to skate at the last minute. Alissa has definitely shown that she makes a great alternate, and I could see her joining Sasha and Kimmie on the team and doing well. I wish Tonya H had gotten the boot from skating sooner so Michelle could have skated in 94. Tonya's programs were crap.

Michelle might not even make the Olympics if she had to withdraw from Nats. Usually a world medal the prior year is the criteria (though the criteria can be whatever the USFS says it is) and she doesn't have one.

I personally think it would be a very hard argument to make to put her on the team when she has already been to 2 Olympics and she has been slipping in the standings. In terms of a medal, she might be a sentimental favorite, but in reality she's a longshot. I think that Alyssa (though I'm not on her bandwagon) has as good a shot for a medal as Kwan. Also the USFS needs to think about giving exposure to its younger skaters. Kimmy might have the potential to battle for gold in 2010. Why not let her experience an Olympics where she is not the favorite?

kyla2

Final Flight
Kuchana

What I meant by level playing field, is that the Olympic judges look at whatever the skater puts out there for that one performance and marks accordingly. That whether a skater participated in an ISU sanctioned event is not factored into the equation. I agree that her lack of competitive experience under CoP is not helpful however. I know Michelle and Sasha will give it their very best, but I am very worried that not participating in CoP competitions will be held against them, particularly if it comes down to a close competition with Irina.

kyla2

Final Flight
Soogar

It would be a rainy day in you know where before the USFSA wouldn't give Michelle Kwan a "bye" at her last Olympics. after all she has meant to the sport of figure skating Some things are certain in life and that would be one of them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Very true. Kwan is too much of a sentimental favorite for them to let her go like that (but who knows at this point?)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
No, it's just a trend I've noticed with the Kwan team- you never know until the last minute. If it was different this time, so be it. But I just get the impression that I'm led on to think one thing until I am "let down" by the "bad news". In other words, if it seemed obvious that Kwan couldn't go to CoC the team could have said that earlier, or made it seem unlikely that she was going to be there. If it wasn't, though, this is a moot point and we don't need to discuss it further.
What trend do you talk about? How many times Kwan pulled out at last min?

In first USFSA annoucement, that "there is out side chance" she'll go CoC. What 'out side chance' mean? I thought it means 'unlikely' there is no wish-washy here.

If you are talk about a trend and expectation, let me tell you there is that young skater who also skated at Sasha's rink occationally. When she was told by her parents "A oh, guess what? There is news on USFS about Sasha" she went on immediately "I know, she withdraw again. Right? She always does that ....." -- Now that's a trend that little girl recognized.....But exactly how many times Sasha withdraw from a competetion when right after MK does not go? Once, right?

As for if Kwan will be on team if she withdraw from Nationals? This has yet to happen. IMO, Kwan will only take what she deserves, if she does not make team then she does not. She said very early that in a interview when ppl asked her about if she will go Olympics. She said, I can oly reply I'm going to TRY (to make team).

Last edited by a moderator:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
soogar said:
Michelle might not even make the Olympics if she had to withdraw from Nats. Usually a world medal the prior year is the criteria (though the criteria can be whatever the USFS says it is) and she doesn't have one.

I personally think it would be a very hard argument to make to put her on the team when she has already been to 2 Olympics and she has been slipping in the standings ... . Also the USFS needs to think about giving exposure to its younger skaters. Kimmy might have the potential to battle for gold in 2010. Why not let her experience an Olympics where she is not the favorite?

Everything you are saying as to why the USFSA should not give Michelle a bye applied equally to denying the bye to Nancy Kerrigan. After all, in 1993, Nancy was reigning Nat champ; reigning world medalist and reigning Oly bronze medalist when she, too, went to the Worlds and had the worst skate of her life -- which under the rules then in effect, cost the US a spot at Lillehamer, so only two ladies could go. Yet, when she needed the bye, she got it -- and the promising youngster who didn't get to skate was a 13 year old Michelle Kwan! Kwan, in '94, might also have been viewed as having the potential to battle for gold in '98; shouldn't she have gotten the exposure?

It seems blatantly unfair to me to say things like failing to be a reigning World medalist, or the need to give exposure to younger skaters, are reasons why she should be left off of the Oly team, when in 1994, they weren't reasons to put her on the team!

R.D.

Record Breaker
What trend do you talk about? How many times Kwan pulled out at last min?

This is not limited to pulling out at the last minute, but I'll note them:

2002: We don't know until the last minute if she's going to continue competing. Remember that "one day at a time" thing? Kwan was a question mark at basically every event (IIRC) until Team Kwan made the announcement- sound familiar?

2004: Pulled out of SA (and the GP) at the last minute

2005: Pulls out of Campbell's at the last minute

2002-2006- we don't know her music choice until the last minute (or not even that sometimes)

So it doesn't surprise me that Team Kwan pulls out of an event either a) at the last minute or b) after a healthy dose of "false hope". But that's JMT. Maybe it surprises some people. But not me.

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:

This season is getting very interesting. The great thing about an Olympic year is that you know everyone is 100% committed to doing their best at the Olympics. In the last few years there has been doubt about the dedication of top skaters like Michelle, Sasha and Plushenko, and endless second guessing about their motives. Michelle is also somewhat committed to winning a record 10 nationals and Sasha is somewhat interested in winning her first, but I can see them both sacrificing nationals to try to make it to the Olympics in better health.

Red Dog, what does that have to do with anything? Michelle made her announcement both about being unable to compete at Skate America and at Cup of China in a timely fashion.

Frankly, I hate to say it, but you are a fool if you expected that Michelle would be able to do Cup of China. The first announcement of her injury said two weeks off the ice entirely, followed by a two to four week recuperation period during which she could gradually return to full practices. Do the math, LOL.

That's it, 'Chelle -- don't tell 'em a thing! :agree:

As for whether Michelle would be selected for the Olympic team if she were unable to compete at Nationals due to injury -- money talks, LOL. What would they do with all the billboards advertising the Olympics that they have already commissioned with Michelle's face on them?

But Michelle herself, she would have so much class that she would decline the invitation and would work the booth as a commentator instead. That's my girl! :love:

MM

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Red Dog, what does this have to do with anything? Michelle made her announcement both about being unable to compete at Skate America and at Cup of China in a timely fashion.

Didn't you think the timing was a bit odd though? (Forget about the fact that it was an announcement of injury for a second). Besides, I said this year she pulled out of Campbell's at the last minute- not SA or CoC.

I agree that she made the decision not to go to CoC in a "timely manner". (I also hope that if Cohen doesn't want to, or can't, do TEB she pulls out in time as well, instead of waiting until the last minute.)

Frankly, I hate to say it, but you are a fool if you expected that Michelle would be able to do Cup of China. The first announcement of her injury said two weeks off the ice entirely, followed by a two to four week recuperation period during which she could gradually return to full practices. Do the math, LOL.

I didn't expect her to do it, either. But who is the real "fool" here? WHY didn't Team Kwan pull out of both events at once if, like you said, the injury would require a longer time to heal? THEY knew this info at least as much as we did. And they very likely knew more. (This is assuming that the info you stated is right on, BTW.)

In fact I WOULD have been surprised if she chose to go. Where my "beef" comes in is that I felt that TK (Team Kwan) left a little bit of "false hope" by the way they worded their statements. I'm guessing MK wasn't really planning on going after her injury occurred. (This isn't the first time they've done something like this IIRC.) Why not say it's very unlikely that she'll go? But then maybe they did already...using "other words". :scratch: