Michelle Kwan, 2006 Olympic Gold Medalist?? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan, 2006 Olympic Gold Medalist??

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't think her jumps are small anymore. She's really improved her jumps. Her difficulty is the problem. She needs more combos.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kwan's jumps in combo were still small in Dortmund. Her individual jumps have more power, speed, and height in general than either jump in her combos. The 2R at the end of the 3Z looks better to me than the 2T, but it was still relatively small.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Michelle and the Olympics

:) What would be a blessing in disguise for Michelle would to have a catastrophic Worlds in 2005, so catastrophic, that she is figuaratively left for dead by skating pundits.

She would not be invited to any 2005-2006 Grand Prix events or the USFSA sends her to lower tier events. She can practice diligently and let whoever the presumptive favorite is take the heat.

Then comes Nationals and she wins...with ease. The media remarks that everyone except Michelle thinks she's finished.

When the Olympics rolls around Michelle skates the program of her life and the presumptive favorite melts like candle wax.

Olympic Gold Medals in Ladies Figure Skating and Womens' Gymnastics have not gone to a non-teen in a long time. So, I'm not real optimistic. My feeling is that she will probably be on the podium, but, not the top. She will then have her career end as a "most decorated" skater.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
alicelouise said:
:) What would be a blessing in disguise for Michelle would to have a catastrophic Worlds in 2005, so catastrophic, that she is figuaratively left for dead by skating pundits.

She would not be invited to any 2005-2006 Grand Prix events or the USFSA sends her to lower tier events. She can practice diligently and let whoever the presumptive favorite is take the heat. .

I think even if Michelle falls flat on her face and finishes last, she would still be invited to GP events. She's still too big of a draw. She'd have to have a string of several bad competitions before she wasn't invited to major events. And honestly I don't think Michelle going in as an underdog would make any difference. Michelle knows how to handle being in the spotlight. She's dealt with it for many years and despite what a lot of people seem to think I don't think it has anything to do with what she's done at past Olympics. In 98 she skated great both programs were worthy of the gold medal, but unfortunatley it wasn't to be. In '02 she simply just fell. I dont' think pressure had anything to do with it. She skated beautifully in the short. Skaters fall sometimes. Sure it doesn't happen to Michelle very often, but it does happen. Unfortunately it happened during the Olympics. Michelle just needs to do what she does best regardless of anything else.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Michelle at the Olympics

She'll go to the 06 Olympics, and she'll have all the reporters after her, favored or not, because she's the most famous skater and they'll all be talking about her third try for the elusive OGM. So no matter what, I think there will be plenty of hype about and pressure on her. Michelle is the big name, so she'll be the big story going in, it just goes with the territory, the spotlight will be on Michelle in 2006, no matter how she does in 2005.

3axel

Last edited:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
She'll go to the 06 Olympics, and she'll have all the reporters after her, favored or not, because she's the most famous skater and they'll all be talking about her third try for the elusive OGM. So no matter what, I think there will be plenty of hype about and pressure on her. Michelle is the big name, so she'll be the big story going in, it just goes with the territory, the spotlight will be on Michelle in 2006, no matter how she does in 2005.

3axel

Absolutely! I can see the whole "Dan Jansen" angle now. It won't matter one bit if she doesn't have a stellar season going into the Olympic Games, she will have intense and unique pressure from the media that is separate from whomever is the "favorite" going in.

As for Sasha, I'm actually interested in her winning a big competition so I could see how she'd handle being the "hunted" rather than the "hunter". She's never been tested that way and I'm not convinced she'd be better off as the "hunted" (which Dick Button claims is a much harder position to be in that the hunter).

Fossi

Final Flight
Skate Sandee said:
As for Sasha, I'm actually interested in her winning a big competition so I could see how she'd handle being the "hunted" rather than the "hunter". She's never been tested that way and I'm not convinced she'd be better off as the "hunted" (which Dick Button claims is a much harder position to be in that the hunter).

Sasha was the favorite going into Nationals '03 and '04. In 03 Michelle and Sarah placed 1-2, and many felt Sasha should've been off the podium.
Sasha was also the heavy favorite at Worlds '04, but she placed 3rd in the LP, 2nd overall.
Wasn't Sasha also one of them chosen as contendor for Gold at SLC? There were lots of articles on her and lots of hype. Much hype around Sasha, Michelle and Irina at SLC.
I'm looking for an "underdog" at SLC. Maybe Ando afterall? But she might be a front runner by then with her quads and 3/3's.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Sasha was the favorite going into Nationals '03 and '04. (snip) Sasha was also the heavy favorite at Worlds '04, but she placed 3rd in the LP, 2nd overall. Wasn't Sasha also one of them chosen as contendor for Gold at SLC?

In every example you gave, Sasha was the "hunter" that didn't get the ultimate prize despite being the favorite. I'm talking about the unique pressure that comes with defending a National or World title. Completely different pressure that skaters sometimes handle or crumble under. We don't know how Sasha would do in that scenario because she hasn't been tested yet. If she were to win Nationals or Worlds this season, it would get the monkey off her back. But the unknown "x" factor is whether being the defending champion would make her better or cause her to meltdown.

That's why it will be facinating to watch Arakawa this season. A competitor's mettle is really tested once they have to defend their success from the previous season.

Fossi

Final Flight
I will be bold and predict that Sasha may finally win that elusive National title this year. It will give her the confidence she needs, and she has tried so hard so many times that she's bound to win it. Go Sasha. :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I can see the whole "Dan Jansen" angle now

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I can already imagine the fluff pieces, too. But, what a story that was with Dan Jansen! I wept like a child (which isn't all that unusual I guess, lol) when he finally won the gold medal in an event he wasn't even favored in. Hopefully, Michelle will do the same.

I also agree that defending a title is much harder than chasing one. I'm actually quite interested to see how Shizuka handles this pressure. I think she'll do well. Sasha is a complete question mark. I never know what to expect from her.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

ladybug said:
Unless Michelle lets go and not hold back on the 3/3's she has been working on, I am afraid some young up-start will grab that gold and run with it. I would rather see her turn pro than have to deal with another disappointment at the Olympics. As we have seen over and over, you can never count Michelle Kwan out. We may be in for a big surprise. (fingers crossed)

Ladybug

Exactly. Unless Michelle upts the ante, technically, and lands at least one, clean triple/triple combination, she may well be outskated by any one (or more) of the talented group of skaters from the US, Japan, and Russia. She really must GO FOR IT and let the chips fall where they may.

IMHO, of course. :laugh: