Michelle makes it official!!! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle makes it official!!!

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan's Olympic participation pathway

Michelle Kwan has competed in 2 Olympic Games already.

In 1997-98, despite recovering from a broken toe, she competed in SA (beating Lipinski), and SC (where the injury became apparent, but she won), and was out for the GPF due to the stress fracture. She did Nationals, the Olympics and Worlds. She went to Nagano fully prepared, won the SP and skated a clean and lovely LP. When she was done, you could see in her emotional response that she felt, with all the nervousness, that she skated the best she ever did---and she did a beautiful job. She was 17 years old. The triple triple combinations, and the excitement of programs with them (one in the last 10 seconds) simply beat her.

In 2001-02, despite not having a coach, she did skate the GP, the GPF, the Olympics and Worlds. She came to SLC as well prepared as she could have been under those circumstances of not having her usual support system and usual coaching to tweak her programs into winning programs. She won the SP, despite a cheated triple flip, and skated tentatively and nervously again in the LP, where she made mistakes---three of them, actually, which cost her. Once again, and the writing was on the wall with Sarah who had competed with two triple triple combinations in her programs for two seasons, the triple triple combinations, and the excitement of a program with those, beat her again.

In 2005-06, I have no doubt that Michelle will take the advise of her team, and the lesson from other great Olympic Champions like Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano, that to win the Olympic Games, preparation is key, and you must compete your program as much as you can before the event as part of this preparation. Then, you hope to feel great at the time of the event, skate on auto-pilot, perform the program (not just skate the elements) and hope for the judges to put you first.

All this chatter about long travel, a tight schedule, possible injury and overuse syndromes, etc. is meaningless when it comes to knowing whether or not Michelle will "go for it".

Of course she will! There was never any doubt in anyone's mind. This OGM for Michelle is akin to the Nobel, Pulitzer or other top prizes. She wants it in her resume for her career path in skating, and needs it to be sucessful in para-skating affairs (like Ice Rinks, etc.) because the general public only remembers who won the Olympics and who is on a Wheaties box.

It is really only 8 months away, and no one is going to believe that a Champion skater, a career skater, like Michelle Kwan, with all her resources and talent, can not formulate a training/competition/preparation plan to have her ready for one competition at the age of 24-25.

Boitano and Hamilton did it at 24 and 25. Nancy Kerrigan did it at 25 also. Michelle can do it too, and will probably do it in a similar fashion to these former champions. The formula is clear---get the programs in the summer, start training the sections, then do run throughs over and over and over, and compete as much as you can with pacing and tweaking. Repeat this process until the big event. To be "devoted" to this schedule means you "sacrifice" your social life, personal life and money-making events to get ready.

It's only for 8 months of her young life, with such a big reward if she pulls off a Dan Jansen moment, that I could never see her not "going for it".

The whole inquiry was rhetorical. Barring injury, Michelle will do this, there was never really any doubt whatsoever.

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap:

ChiSk8Fan, that's the closer. I like reading your posts because I never have anything left to say afterwards.

Mathman

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Thanks, MM

Thanks Mathman. After 6 pages of circular posts and tangents, it was time to wrap this one up!

ChiSk8Fan said:
In 2005-06, I have no doubt that Michelle will take the advise of her team, and the lesson from other great Olympic Champions like Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano, that to win the Olympic Games, preparation is key, and you must compete your program as much as you can before the event as part of this preparation. Then, you hope to feel great at the time of the event, skate on auto-pilot, perform the program (not just skate the elements) and hope for the judges to put you first.

All this chatter about long travel, a tight schedule, possible injury and overuse syndromes, etc. is meaningless when it comes to knowing whether or not Michelle will "go for it".

The whole inquiry was rhetorical. Barring injury, Michelle will do this, there was never really any doubt whatsoever.
You didn't mention the GPs per se. When mentioning Brian B and Scott H you did mention that preparation is the key including competing before the event. GPs, I presume?

Joe

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
You didn't mention the GPs per se. When mentioning Brian B and Scott H you did mention that preparation is the key including competing before the event. GPs, I presume?

Joe

No, I didn't mention them per se, and did not think I had to do so. Both Scott H and Brian B did "grand prix" events in their day. They did Skate America, Skate Canada and the NHK Trophy if I recall correctly. They both have said numerous times that competing as much as you can is the best preparation for a big competition.

For Michelle, it means accepting her GP assignments. It's simple.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For Michelle, it means accepting her GP assignments. It's simple.

There is one small issue with this- She's gotten herself used to a paced schedule. I think that all of a sudden, switching to the schedule and travelling involved in the GP this year might tire her out quicker than usual and then she might not be in the best shape for the Olympics. It would be interesting to see how she handles this. JMO, of course. It very well may not be an issue for her.

kyla2

Final Flight
Yes, That Worries Me Too

ReDog, I had thought of that too and I never said anything about it, thinking maybe I was worying too much But now that you have said it, I will admit that has me worried big time. I wonder if the scaled down jumps are a reflection of her stamina overall also. I really wish she had stuck to the schedule Frank had set for her. The other possibility is that she really was having some injury problems that weren't common knowledge. Hard to know, and hard to know if she can turn it around in less than a year.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I don't really think it's stamina. I still firmly believe there have been some little lingering injury issues the past few years ... back and hip mainly. Nothing where she couldn't skate, but that she had to be careful. She has as much said that it takes her body longer to get where she needs it to be physically. That sounds funny to some folks because she's so young. But when you take itnto consideration how long she has been at this, and the wear and tear on her body all these jumps have caused, then it doesn't seem so odd.
She wanted to take a year off back in 2003, but her sister Karen advised against it. Said she would lose too much ground and have an enormous task of getting back to where she would need to be now. So she chose the route of competing less and trying to stay as competitive as she could, without burning out mentally and physically. It was never an ideal situation, but for her I think the best one she could come up with. I have always believed she wanted to go to another Olympics, and I think it's a pretty good bet that she would not have made it if she had been competing full seasons the past there years. So I'm happy she chose to do what she did, because an 80% Michelle is better to me than no Michelle at all.
My guess is she will push herself this season, but I don't know how far that will be. All I do know is that it is way too early to be counting her out.

kyla2

Final Flight
Stamina

Hopefully, you're right and she has been pacing herself due to old injury issues and trying to prevent a repeat. Only she really knows what the truth of all this is. At this point in time, my hope for Michelle regarding the Olympics is that she delivers a performance she can be proud of, win a medal or not.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Kwan makes it offcial!!!!

CHEERS TO MICHELLE KWAN :clap: :rock: :thumbsup: :agree:

I am very happy, delighted and overjoyed that Michelle is giving in on more try

diamond :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm with you, DiamondQueen. Enough with all of the questions, speculation, and doubts. I am just thrilled that she is giving it one more go. Win or lose, I hope she can finally put her Olympic demons to rest and give the performance (or set of performances) that she has always dreamed of giving. I wish her the very best this upcoming season.

TheBitch

Match Penalty
She needs to learn to do the ugly B spins ala-Irina over and over to rack up CoP points and to keep flapping her arms during her LP ala-Tara or to pray that everyone else makes mistakes ala-Sarah then she'll win. Or maybe she can learn how to fall during her jumps ala-Sasha (and try to crash into other skaters during warm-ups) then maybe she'll be lucky enough to get a silver.

TheBitch

Match Penalty
Now that she's stated she'll try out for the Olys, she needs to get out of that "one day at a time" mode. It obviously didn't work during the last two years (her worst Worlds performances since the mid90s). She needs to set her mind on winning and get her butt out there and compete, compete, compete all over the place! She also needs to make sure to dump that ugly, ugly, ugly Bolero program!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree she needs to work harder than ever this year, but I don't know if the "compete, compete, compete all over the place" mentality is the way to do it. I explained in another thread that I think this approach may tire her out and then she'd be burned out for the OLYs. She needs to pace herself, but if she wants gold she'll have to take a fuller schedule (maybe do one or two extra competitions) to ensure she's got everything right. Nothing could be worse than showing up at OLYs unprepared for what could happen, like Worlds this year. I think she's learned from that and won't let it happen again.

I wonder...will MK change coaches? Go it alone a second time? I think she's going to change SOMETHING (and may well have to).

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
diamondqueen said:
CHEERS TO MICHELLE KWAN :clap: :rock: :thumbsup: :agree:

I am very happy, delighted and overjoyed that Michelle is giving in on more try

diamond :)

Me too !! :yes: They say third times the charm (knock on wood !) :biggrin:

--- Hermy

S

SkateFan4Life

I'm not at all surprised that Michelle has decided to compete through next year and try (again) to win Olympic gold. I would have been very, very surprised had she decided to not try for the gold medal. She already has silver and bronze, and all she needs is a gold medal to have a complete set of Olympic medals. Easier said than done, of course.

I certainly hope that she plans the technical elements and choreography of her programs so that she can score as high as possible under the new scoring system. This year's Worlds was a wake-up call for Kwan, as far as I'm concerned. If she wants to win an Olympic medal of any color, she has to "get with the program" as most of the other woman have already done.

Good luck to you, Michelle. You go, girl! :clap:

Red Dog said:
I agree she needs to work harder than ever this year, but I don't know if the "compete, compete, compete all over the place" mentality is the way to do it. I explained in another thread that I think this approach may tire her out and then she'd be burned out for the OLYs. She needs to pace herself, but if she wants gold she'll have to take a fuller schedule (maybe do one or two extra competitions) to ensure she's got everything right. Nothing could be worse than showing up at OLYs unprepared for what could happen, like Worlds this year. I think she's learned from that and won't let it happen again.

I wonder...will MK change coaches? Go it alone a second time? I think she's going to change SOMETHING (and may well have to).
Really Red Dog - Your testy posts on MK are well known but now you are getting into assuming things.
Mentality is going to tire her and then burn her out. That is such an off-the-wall statement from someone who has never skated, never had an interest in the sport and is a card carrying constant "get Kwan". She is the one skater with the calmest nerves on the ice. I've seen her in action many times. And there is no burn out.

She skated a beautiful Worlds. She was the only skater to understand the music. But she lacked technical. That was the problem and whether she is working on higher level technical tricks, we don't know. But there is an another skater who hasn't increased the technical much especially the jumps. Are you able to comment on that?

I can't think of you as a coach. You say she has to pace herself and then go on to say she must take on a fuller schedule. duh!

Something could be worse than showing up at the Olys unprepared. Showing up at the Olys prepared and lose.

Your points are well taken when you say she has a lot to catch up and enter more competitions. Those are real observations and not just assumptions.

Joe