Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

megenta

Rinkside
I often make jokes no one gets, that was probably the case here. To people who don't follow FS and know nothing about Mirai, the comments can sound ditzy and vapid, when they don't know the context.

moriel

Record Breaker
While I was never a fan of Mirai, I definitely warmed up to her in this past season, I really admired her going for the 3A and chasing her Olympic dream, I thought it was a beautiful moment when she had that amazing FS at nationals.

However, I can understand why people would question what she said, it sort of gives the impression that she just wanted to participate, not fight til the end. i'm sure she didn't mean it, but I definitely would have worded things differently. Mirai looks like a really sweet person, so I'm sure she was well meaning.

On a sidenote, US women complaining that the team event was draining, that waiting for the ladies event was tiring..... girlllllls, look at Medvedeva and Zagitova, or Osmond, or the Japanese ladies. Stop complaining. If they could make it, so could you.

Yep, or look at pairs - D/R skated both programs at team event, and its not like they are 20 either.

Back to Mirai. TBH i find it ridiculous when she says she "went for 3A in free". She didnt. She did the setup and then literally didnt go for the jump.
That the thing that annoys me the most in the interview, really.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ditzy isn't the end of the world. Some of my best friends are ditzy. :yes:

"Ditzy" would accurately describe the comments Mirai threw in about the cold hotel showers and her "DWTS audition" smile. No big deal and just part of Mirai being Mirai.

But her comments went far beyond "ditzy" and into rude & unhinged when she said she "saved" the medal & then mentioned Daleman's performance. After all, she is 24 and not at all a newbie when it comes to the pressures of being interviewed in the mixed zone after performances (both good & bad) at major events. Before Worlds, I hope someone on her team spends some time with her on how to handle these situations in a more mature and professional manner.

slider11

Medalist
Let's not blame the media. They are doing their job, asking athletes hard questions. I am a huge Mirai fan but she completely blew this. It's easy to be gracious and upbeat when you win. She needed to apologize for coming across whiny and defensive because those are the type of words she used. The ball is in your court , Mirai.

frida80

Record Breaker
Let's not blame the media. They are doing their job, asking athletes hard questions. I am a huge Mirai fan but she completely blew this. It's easy to be gracious and upbeat when you win. She needed to apologize for coming across whiny and defensive because those are the type of words she used. The ball is in your court , Mirai.

She already apologized. Let's move on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you closed your eyes and didn't watch Mirai during the interview you would swear the words were coming from a 16-year-old high school girl, not a 24-year-old woman. I hope someone from USFS has a talk with her before Worlds and gives her some guidance because reporters for sure are going to pester her no matter how she performs there. And you can bet the pressure to perform well will be even worse at Worlds after the individual event at the Olympics.

lyndichee

Medalist
Keep kicking while someone is down why don't you all :palmf:

I said this when Papadakis had the unfortunate wardrobe meltdown, it's like some people on this forum have never made an error or mistake in their life based on the way they judge others.

If she has apologized and comments are just dragging on about how terribly people perceive her, then I think this thread has run it's course and should be closed.

pearly

Record Breaker
She already apologized. Let's move on.
59 pages. That's all.

If you closed your eyes and didn't watch Mirai during the interview you would swear the words were coming from a 16-year-old high school girl, not a 24-year-old woman. I hope someone from USFS has a talk with her before Worlds and gives her some guidance because reporters for sure are going to pester her no matter how she performs there. And you can bet the pressure to perform well will be even worse at Worlds after the individual event at the Olympics.
And you're only realizing this now?

I said this when Papadakis had the unfortunate wardrobe meltdown, it's like some people on this forum have never made an error or mistake in their life based on the way they judge others.

If she has apologized and comments are just dragging on about how terribly people perceive her, then I think this thread has run it's course and should be closed.
Again - 59 pages.

Oh the double standard.

frida80

Record Breaker

Agreed.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I don't think the Americans performed poorly. The US can't compete with the Russians, Osmond and Japanese at this point and probably do programs that are right at the edge of what they're capable of. So, that they often falter is not a surprise.

At some point they might have girls who climb the top of the podium again, but for now and the near future they can only compete with programs that are just too difficult to expect them to go clean consistently.

temadd

Final Flight
Nothing that I’ve seen shows that she try to raise her media profile. I follow these skaters very closely. She was at their practice rink every day. She was at her practice sessions. Working very hard indeed. She was asked to do interviews like all the other skaters were but that was NBC’s request. I think it’s unfair to say that Mirai wasn’t working hard.

I’ve noticed that the most negative comments come from people who aren’t really long-term members of this board. This is kind of disappointing. Instead of making a lot of accusations about skaters I wish people would ask more questions about them instead of making baseless assumptions.

What happened to Mirai in the individual event was normal. She put all of her energy into the team event and was mentally exhausted by the time she got to the individual. It happens to a lot of skaters.

She had over a week in between the team and individual events to refresh and refocus. It looked more to me like her heart was not in it, like she'd proven herself already and didn't feel the fire to continue to fight.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I don't think the Americans performed poorly. The US can't compete with the Russians, Osmond and Japanese at this point and probably do programs that are right at the edge of what they're capable of. So, that they often falter is not a surprise.

At some point they might have girls who climb the top of the podium again, but for now and the near future they can only compete with programs that are just too difficult to expect them to go clean consistently.

Honestly, the girls did as much as they could. Neither of them bombed.
I don´t what some media try to put more pressure on them by rising the expectation of the public.
Even if Mirai had landed that triple axel they still wouldn´t have reached Alina or Evgenenia

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
She had over a week in between the team and individual events to refresh and refocus. It looked more to me like her heart was not in it, like she'd proven herself already and didn't feel the fire to continue to fight.

Is easy to get distracted. To say that her heart wasn´t in it is a little too much.

Borser don´t let his skaters stay in the Olympic Villa, maybe people that get distracted like Mirai should take that approach.

geige

On the Ice
This thread is an excuse to hate on Mirai, full stop. Everyone is giving the same opinions and this discussion is going nowhere.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
59 pages. That's all.

And you're only realizing this now?

Again - 59 pages.

Oh the double standard.

pearly, you neglected to mention that the Ashley thread did not reach 59 pages until eleven days after it was started.

And you neglected to mention a difference btwn Mirai's situation and Ashley's:

Several days after Ashley's original reaction of being "furious," she stuck to it on the Today show.

About 24 hours after this thread was started, Mirai had apologized in the People magazine article.

Note: I am *not* criticizing Ashley for having a reaction and sticking to it. Ashley is entitled to her feelings, as far as I am concerned.
I am just giving some of the timelines for what transpired with Ashley and what transpired with Mirai.​

I do hope that this Mirai thread quiets down long before 59 pages.
At this point, it unfortunately remains active after two days and 20 pages -- which already is more than enough.

I still do not understand why some Ashley partisans seem to relish their martyr complex that Ashley is treated worse than other U.S. ladies.

And even if(???) it were true(???) that Ashley is treated worse (which I do not believe) ... I do not understand how/why it would be better for anyone if the criticism of Mirai were to increase to the supposedly(???) higher(???) level of criticism of Ashley???????? How would that be better for Ashley??? (And of course, it would not be better for Mirai.)

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
And you neglected to mention a difference btwn Mirai's situation and Ashley's:
Several days after Ashley's original reaction of being "furious," she stuck to it on the Today show.
About 24 hours after this thread was started, Mirai had apologized in the People magazine article.
Note: I am *not* criticizing Ashley for having a reaction and sticking to it. Ashley is entitled to her feelings, as far as I am concerned.
I am just giving some of the timelines for what transpired with Ashley and what transpired with Mirai.​

And you failed to mention a key difference between the Ashley & Mirai situations:
Ashley's "furious" comments were directed solely against the scores she had received.
Mirai's invoked the names of teammates and a competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.