Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The media has created a bad environment for ladies skating. The US girls didn’t crack under pressure, the medals were always going to the russian girls. If there wasn’t the expectation that USA would win people wouldn’t be treating the US girls like failures. Did the Australian public berate Kailani for not getting gold? No because she hadn’t been ridiculously built up.

Also, if the media wants to complain about US performance, what about pairs? Unless they improve that program, the US will never get higher than bronze in the team event. And despite how they did in the individual event, both Bradie and Mirai did very well in the team event and helped the US get its medal.

Erin9

On the Ice
Also, if the media wants to complain about US performance, what about pairs? Unless they improve that program, the US will never get higher than bronze in the team event. And despite how they did in the individual event, both Bradie and Mirai did very well in the team event and helped the US get its medal.

Difference is in expectations. The US has never been dominant in pairs. Ladies were dominant for decades until after 2006. It’s a bigger deal.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Abbott got a ton of criticism too.

But people forgive and forget.

I think the only long-term consequence might be that Mirai won't get invited on DWTS.

DWTS invited Ryan Lochte, so there's definitely hope for Mirai. I think they'll either take Adam and Mirai or the Shibutanis, so they can pull out the friends/teammates/siblings competing against each other scripts.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Difference is in expectations. The US has never been dominant in pairs. Ladies were dominant for decades until after 2006. It’s a bigger deal.

Not anymore, with the team event. The US needs to be strong in all 4 disciplines.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Poor Mirai went from Hero to Zero in the blink of an eye. Here is the first woman to do a triple axel in an Olympic skate. Instead of the Media praising her and building her up, they are tearing her down with this nonsense. And what makes it even worst, non fans of hers are making mountains out of molehills and adding fuel to the fire, just to put her down. In the meantime they are building up their own while tearing another down. Just saying..��

That is what the Media does best. Built some one up only to tear them down again.

frida80

Record Breaker
Not anymore, with the team event. The US needs to be strong in all 4 disciplines.

My hope is after seeing the improvement in Vanessa and Morgan and Eric and Meagan and push some pairs to work with Zimmerman.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Y

It is true that Mirai is not the only U.S. lady on the receiving end on GS of being savaged with ugly remarks and being torn down.

But I wish that we all were hoping for less of that for everyone (instead of more).

I did not say that I wished for more. What I said was,

Originally Posted by skylark View Post
Wow. Where have you been on this board when Ashley Wagner was being savaged with ugly remarks and torn down.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And you had other comments in the U.S. Ladies thread.

(My disagreement with which is over there.)

I invited people to imagine how this board would have exploded if Ashley had skated at the Olympics the way Mirai did.

Then I said Mirai gets praise. That is in no way a wish that Mirai would be treated the way Ashley is treated. It's a statement of what I'd seen on the State of US Ladies thread up to that point.

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
Mirai is hanging out too much with Adam Rippon, a skater whose personal appeal I do not understand. I usually like gay men with that over-the-top personality (both in real life with my best friend and with famous people; Johnny is one of the only celebrities I ever stood in line to meet). But Adam's boasting, his seeming ingratitude when he bumped a man who finished not one but two places above him at Nationals, his sticking out his tongue, kicking his feet and calling the reporters repeatedly by their names has gotten to me. That "terrible" quote sounds like something he'd say. My guess is she's either emulating him or he put the words in her mouth.

As for comparing them to doctors--really? If a doctor prescribes the wrong medicine, someone dies. If a celebrity says something stupid (but not racist), they only hurt themselves. Mirai might not go on DWTS, but she can go back to college and move on with her life.

DWTS invited Ryan Lochte, so there's definitely hope for Mirai. I think they'll either take Adam and Mirai or the Shibutanis, so they can pull out the friends/teammates/siblings competing against each other scripts.

I think it's kind of cheating to have ice dancers. How could your average pop singer or baseball player hope to beat Maia Shibutani at dancing?

Even singles skaters have a big advantage. They know how to take choreography, they know how to respond to musical phrasing, they know how to fill space with movement, ...

Basho

Rinkside
Mirai needs some lessons from Med's PR/life coach....none of these are going to go down well for a majority of non FS fans out there.:disapp:

I think Eteri would make mincemeat of her "saving" bronze comments implying fellow team members having failed Team USA and trivial complaints about staying in the Village while everyone's out having fun, warm showers because of other team members using up water, etc...no, no, no......it probably would make Ashley furious....

Even Alina and Evgenia did not say such things, and they're almost a decade younger!

Another thing that bothered me is how she was laughing after her FS...it's bizarre, I don't get it. :noshake:

Most get overwhelmed by emotions for either not performing/performing their PB, this is after all the Olympics.

Somebody please get Mirai a PR agent asap!

I thought she was smiling because she met her goal in competing again in the Olympic arena. I never dreamed she was smiling for DWTS. I am disappointed. Skaters are know known for their intellectual depth and with the exception of Vincent, I have not been impressed with any the American skaters comments. Evgenia shows a thoughtfulness and strength of character I would like to see from more skaters. Athleticism/artistry and depth of character with intelligence need not be mutually exclusive.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I’m sure she was happy to be at the Olympics, but she didn’t come across that way. It was a big whine fest. She sounded like a brat.

Also- a lot of news outlets are critical of what she said. It was hardly one critical article. There’s a reason she’s backtracking now. It was thoughtless at best.

It's sad that, at age 24, and with over a decade of international experience under her belt, Mirai Nagasu is still not aware that her public comments, especially at the Olympics, are not hers alone. She is representing her sponsors, her teammates, her skating association, even her country. All of these are people that are going to be asked, "You condone these comments?"

The apology was necessary, but all it does is present further damage. As a visualisation, her career after the team competition was like a fine plate of china, that you are proud to put on the mantle and display to everyone. Her post-individual competition was like taking that china and dropping it on the floor, shattering it into a dozen pieces, and her apology served to glue that plate back together again. Now you're left with a plate that you can kind of eat off of and use if you're careful, but you're never going to make it a centerpiece of your collection again. There are a few people that will say that the cracks are what make it beautiful, but most people are looking to figure skating for pure beauty. An escape from reality, not a reminder of it.

The rest of the skaters, and all athletes in general, should remember to keep the following story in mind, and always think carefully of what they say, in all public circumstances:

The Story Of The Broken Plate

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I invited people to imagine how this board would have exploded if Ashley had skated at the Olympics the way Mirai did.

Then I said Mirai gets praise. That is in no way a wish that Mirai would be treated the way Ashley is treated. It's a statement of what I'd seen on the State of US Ladies thread up to that point.

At the time of your post, Mirai already was getting criticism in the U.S. Ladies thread, as well as support.

And I still fail to understand why it is important to some Ashley partisans to imagine/claim that reactions to Ashley would have been worse than to Mirai.

Some of the criticism of Mirai has been extremely harsh. Couldn't get worse than that.

And like Mirai, Ashley also has loyal fans who would and do express support for her in any situation.
So the board would have "exploded" with comments of support for Ashley as well as comments of criticism.

And I (usually ;)) think it's great that Ashley does have loyal fans who always support her.

I thought she was smiling because she met her goal in competing again in the Olympic arena. I never dreamed she was smiling for DWTS. ...

She wan't smiling for Dancing With the Stars. :laugh: People take things so literally. From what i got out of the whole thing, Adam Rippon had tried to cheer her up after the short program by saying something like, "The podium is out of reach so just go out there and have fun like you are auditioning for DWTS. Anyway, didn't we do a number on them in the team competition!?"

Something like that?

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think the most telling aspect of these complaints aren't that Mirai stayed in the village for the whole 2 weeks there was a training facility 2 hours away and I'm sure they had hot showers and plenty of training time there, but it became quite obvious after the team event that Mirai didn't want to leave the spotlight and focus on training for the ladies event it was obvious that she was happy and satisfied with that bronze medal in the team event and that was good enough for her and she was going to stay in the village and have a good time and be the media darling instead of training and focusing on getting an individual medal

fenway3

On the Ice
I have not been impressed with any the American skaters comments. Evgenia shows a thoughtfulness and strength of character I would like to see from more skaters. Athleticism/artistry and depth of character with intelligence need not be mutually exclusive.

Here's the thing—you can be as shallow as a thimble and still give a great interview. You just need to prepare for such things. There are a million books out there about how to prepare for job interviews. You'd think some coach or federation would compile a list of do's and don'ts for athletes in media interviews. Actually, most of it really seems to be just common sense, but I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea. ;)

fenway3

On the Ice
It's sad that, at age 24, and with over a decade of international experience under her belt, Mirai Nagasu is still not aware that her public comments, especially at the Olympics, are not hers alone. She is representing her sponsors, her teammates, her skating association, even her country. All of these are people that are going to be asked, "You condone these comments?"

These athletes must practice tens of thousands of hours in the hopes of making the Olympics. But then when it comes to making comments that millions (or perhaps billions) of people might hear, the attitude of some of them seems to be, "Dude, you mean like I'm actually supposed to prepare for that???" ;) Never mind that your comments could have great impact on potential endorsements, both current and future.

Here's the thing—you might become known for making dumb remarks as much as for what you actually accomplished as an athlete. I believe Nancy Kerrigan was. Probably more people remember some of her public comments than her exact placement at the Olympics. Similarly, an intelligent comment could take you a long way, even if you didn't medal at the Olympics. Janet Lynn became a superstar in Japan, not because of the color of her medal but because of her demeanor on the ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the most telling aspect of these complaints aren't that Mirai stayed in the village for the whole 2 weeks there was a training facility 2 hours away and I'm sure they had hot showers and plenty of training time there, but it became quite obvious after the team event that Mirai didn't want to leave the spotlight and focus on training for the ladies event it was obvious that she was happy and satisfied with that bronze medal in the team event and that was good enough for her and she was going to stay in the village and have a good time and be the media darling instead of training and focusing on getting an individual medal

Correcting your misinformation re Mirai:

It was clear to those paying attention that Mirai *did* spend time training in Chuncheon at the alternate training site for USFS.
(As did other U.S. skaters.)​

So I don't know what you are talking about.

For example:

Athletes rave about food, cook in Chuncheon

The U.S. team spent much of its time at the Olympics practicing a couple of hours away in Chuncheon, South Korea.

.... The athletes raved about the food and the kind spirit of the cook.

“I looked forward to going for our meals, because they were delicious and she gave me a reassuring hug every time I saw her,” Mirai Nagasu said. “She made our job in Chuncheon easy because she coordinated our meals and translated for us.” ...

www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/more-notes-from-pyeongchang/ (Feb 22)​

Status
Not open for further replies.