Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenway3

On the Ice
As for comparing them to doctors--really? If a doctor prescribes the wrong medicine, someone dies.

Not necessarily—it could just make you sick or maybe not even that. Anyway, my analogy was never meant to be taken 100% literally. ;) My point was simply that the impact of your actions often matters more than your intentions.

If a celebrity says something stupid (but not racist), they only hurt themselves.

Well, if it's an Olympic athlete, they can also make their handlers, sponsors, and federation—and even their nation—look bad.

fenway3

On the Ice
Even singles skaters have a big advantage. They know how to take choreography, they know how to respond to musical phrasing, they know how to fill space with movement, ...

Well, not according to Kristi Yamaguchi. ;)

I think Davis and White put it well a few years ago. Davis said they'd be lying if they didn't admit their experience gave them a considerable advantage. But she also pointed out that there was still enough unfamiliar terrain in competing on DWTS to keep things challenging.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Correcting your misinformation re Mirai:

It was clear to those paying attention that Mirai *did* spend time training in Chuncheon at the alternate training site for USFS.
(As did other U.S. skaters.)​

So I don't know what you are talking about.

For example:

Athletes rave about food, cook in Chuncheon

The U.S. team spent much of its time at the Olympics practicing a couple of hours away in Chuncheon, South Korea.

.... The athletes raved about the food and the kind spirit of the cook.

“I looked forward to going for our meals, because they were delicious and she gave me a reassuring hug every time I saw her,” Mirai Nagasu said. “She made our job in Chuncheon easy because she coordinated our meals and translated for us.” ...

www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/more-notes-from-pyeongchang/ (Feb 22)​
I stand corrected and admit my lack of knowledge but stand by my statement that she would have been better of if she focused on training and her performance as opposed to raising her media profile

billo999x

Spectator
Of all the worst behaviors in sportsmanship, I have seen people breaking things, racial slurs, face slaps and taunts of “[someone] f-d your partner”. Granted these have been men, but sportspersons are all human. I’m sure even the most beloved of skaters have had less than noteperfect moments in life public and private, but maybe you didn’t see that. To be honest if a journalist was being rude to me i’d have no problem telling them where to go. Seeing some of the media headlines and coverage from american sources, they’re pretty dumb and sensationalist. They act like owning ladies skating is a right, well sorry you missed the memo that nothing gold can stay.

frida80

Record Breaker
I stand corrected and admit my lack of knowledge but stand by my statement that she would have been better of if she focused on training and her performance as opposed to raising her media profile

Nothing that I’ve seen shows that she try to raise her media profile. I follow these skaters very closely. She was at their practice rink every day. She was at her practice sessions. Working very hard indeed. She was asked to do interviews like all the other skaters were but that was NBC’s request. I think it’s unfair to say that Mirai wasn’t working hard.

I’ve noticed that the most negative comments come from people who aren’t really long-term members of this board. This is kind of disappointing. Instead of making a lot of accusations about skaters I wish people would ask more questions about them instead of making baseless assumptions.

What happened to Mirai in the individual event was normal. She put all of her energy into the team event and was mentally exhausted by the time she got to the individual. It happens to a lot of skaters.

geige

On the Ice
I don’t understand how expressing interest for DWTS in a statement that takes LITERALLY less than a minute to make means that she is distracted from her training. Can one not simply just express their aspirations without being consumed by them?

geige

On the Ice
I have never seen such an intense witch hunt on GS, but I guess if it’s going to happen here, it’s going to happen to Mirai. Y’all I love Mirai and agree that her comments weren’t classy or respectful. End of story, get over it. Come on are 18+ pages really necessary?????

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Nothing that I’ve seen shows that she try to raise her media profile. I follow these skaters very closely. She was at their practice rink every day. She was at her practice sessions. Working very hard indeed. She was asked to do interviews like all the other skaters were but that was NBC’s request. I think it’s unfair to say that Mirai wasn’t working hard.

I’ve noticed that the most negative comments come from people who aren’t really long-term members of this board. This is kind of disappointing. Instead of making a lot of accusations about skaters I wish people would ask more questions about them instead of making baseless assumptions.

What happened to Mirai in the individual event was normal. She put all of her energy into the team event and was mentally exhausted by the time she got to the individual. It happens to a lot of skaters.
I'm not a long time member because I just recently joined...I have followed skating faithfully since 1976 I lost my mother 2 years ago and this was my first Olympic i didnt have her to talk or text with... as for mirai she spent way to much time doing interviews and media and it showed in her skating...her comments after the free skate were rude, immature and full of excuses her comments about Gabby daleman were in terrible taste. The it's my audition for Dancing with the Stars was an insult to all of the girls who went to Nationals and dreams are going to the Olympics

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
These athletes must practice tens of thousands of hours in the hopes of making the Olympics. But then when it comes to making comments that millions (or perhaps billions) of people might hear, the attitude of some of them seems to be, "Dude, you mean like I'm actually supposed to prepare for that???" ;) Never mind that your comments could have great impact on potential endorsements, both current and future.

Here's the thing—you might become known for making dumb remarks as much as for what you actually accomplished as an athlete. I believe Nancy Kerrigan was. Probably more people remember some of her public comments than her exact placement at the Olympics. Similarly, an intelligent comment could take you a long way, even if you didn't medal at the Olympics. Janet Lynn became a superstar in Japan, not because of the color of her medal but because of her demeanor on the ice.

The basics really aren't that hard:
  • Accept responsibility for your own actions
  • Thank people for their support
  • Don't say bad things about other competitors
  • Don't blame other people or other things that everyone else has to deal with equally with for your failings
Those that can stay within those basics and still give interesting interviews (like Yuzuru Hanyu) become more popular. Those that give boring interviews within those basics don't increase their popularity, but at least they don't become any less popular as a result.

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm not a long time member because I just recently joined...I have followed skating faithfully since 1976 I lost my mother 2 years ago and this was my first Olympic i didnt have her to talk or text with... as for mirai she spent way to much time doing interviews and media and it showed in her skating...her comments after the free skate were rude, immature and full of excuses her comments about Gabby daleman were in terrible taste. The it's my audition for Dancing with the Stars was an insult to all of the girls who went to Nationals and dreams are going to the Olympics

She only did a few interviews. I agree her comments were immature, but i think it was a result of being exhausted and mentally drained. DWTS was just a attempt at a joke. She apologized. I follow follow Jackie Wong who was there at the Olympics and documented their practices. She didn't miss one and her practices were going well until closer to competition when she started to tighten up.

I have watched dozen skaters very closely for the last decade. So closely that I can tell you all their hobbies, interest, favorite foods and daily routine. and I know that Mirai only saw a few events outside her own. I know she went to the private rink everyday for the week before her event. I know she wanted to aim for that individual medal. Mirai gave her heart and soul to make this Olympic team. You have no idea how hard all of them worked for this moment. For you to insinuate that because she acquiesced to a few interviews because USFS and NBC asked her to, so they could promote skating, that she wasn't serious is just wrong. Do you know how much effort it takes to learn a triple axel? Do you even understand the mental exhaustion such a perfect skate like Mirai's can have on future competitions?

How about this interview just after her Short Program?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/emotional-mirai-nagasu-disappointed-after-axel-fall

Mirai was trying to make the best of a bad moment without crying again. It came off poorly. I just shrug my shoulders and move on. She's already apologized so why are we rehashing this.

But I stand by what I said before. People are angry that Mirai and other US ladies didn't medal. Guess what, even at their best, they never would've come close to the top six. I'm tired of watching all three of these ladies be torn apart. We lost. Tomorrow is another day.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I am a Mirai fan and cheered for her the most at US Nationals. But it's funny comparing her reaction to Karen's, who had even less of a medal chance than Mirai going into the FS, yet was visibly disappointed in her skate. She was there to skate because she loved skating and wanted to do well for herself. Mirai and Adam both gave me the feeling of reveling in their media fame after the team event and not being serious. I think for the both of them, the end goal was just to be at the Olympics. Adam, especially, skipped practices to do interviews and other media stuff and was clearly trying to win "America's Sweetheart" than any actual medal, and skated a layout that was easier than some ladies'. It's even funnier because Adam was chosen based on his "body of work" yet he skated a far easier program than he did the entire year which is what gave him the "body of work" advantage in the first place.

I mean, there's obviously nothing wrong with not being too hard on yourself when you have a bad skate, but Mirai would be singing a much different tune if she had done what she did at the Olympics at the US Nationals instead. She honestly just didn't care as much and it showed. And to some maybe that's something to criticize.

Also I was following both of them on social media between the team event and the individuals and I couldn't help but think that there was no way that Hanyu, Fernandez, Medvedeva, Zagitova, the Canadian ladies, or even many non-medal contending skaters, would have been so lackadaisical before what should have been one of the biggest events of their skating lives.

But I guess your mileage may vary and if you only go to the Olympics once (or twice), make the most of it and use the time to find a good exit for yourself :confused2:

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No that's not what bothers me about mirai comments... yes our lease and do as well I wish they would have done better but Mirai's comments were bad press the who went around and now she is trying to dial back what she said.... but words are a very interesting thing once you say them you can't take them back

skatespin

On the Ice
She only did a few interviews. I agree her comments were immature, but i think it was a result of being exhausted and mentally drained. DWTS was just a attempt at a joke. She apologized. I follow follow Jackie Wong who was there at the Olympics and documented their practices. She didn't miss one and her practices were going well until closer to competition when she started to tighten up.

I have watched dozen skaters very closely for the last decade. So closely that I can tell you all their hobbies, interest, favorite foods and daily routine. and I know that Mirai only saw a few events outside her own. I know she went to the private rink everyday for the week before her event. I know she wanted to aim for that individual medal. Mirai gave her heart and soul to make this Olympic team. You have no idea how hard all of them worked for this moment. For you to insinuate that because she acquiesced to a few interviews because USFS and NBC asked her to, so they could promote skating, that she wasn't serious is just wrong. Do you know how much effort it takes to learn a triple axel? Do you even understand the mental exhaustion such a perfect skate like Mirai's can have on future competitions?

How about this interview just after her Short Program?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/emotional-mirai-nagasu-disappointed-after-axel-fall

Mirai was trying to make the best of a bad moment without crying again. It came off poorly. I just shrug my shoulders and move on. She's already apologized so why are we rehashing this.

But I stand by what I said before. People are angry that Mirai and other US ladies didn't medal. Guess what, even at their best, they never would've come close to the top six. I'm tired of watching all three of these ladies be torn apart. We lost. Tomorrow is another day.

I hadn't seen that short program interview. Poor Mirai, I haven't seen sad tears like that from her in a long time, such as in 2014 at the nationals gala. She was definitely probably trying to hide how upset she was after the freeskate and try to make light of the situation, which matches with her typical personality. I did feel disappointed with her skates, but I don't blame her for anything. She has improved so much. She skated a clean FS in the team program. In the individual her only real mistakes were on the 3A a really hard jump, that she only used competitively this season. I can't really think of a senior lady who had a totally dependable 3A all the time. The popped lutz was disappointing, but in reality it's the low points from popping that really hurt her, all her other tech was good. Mirai did her combos every time, she got no UR calls, that's amazing for her. She has actually fixed her UR problem. She still needs to work a bit on her mental strength (even though I think it's much improved already) and her presentation. I really hope to see her continue, even if it's not for another full 4 years. I'd like the see her reach her full potential and I hope at world's for her to get some redemption and maybe place top 5. Unfortunately there will be pressure for spots, but the US ladies seem to have a knack for keeping the 3 spots when everyone else thinks it's a lost cause.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adam, especially, skipped practices to do interviews and other media stuff and was clearly trying to win "America's Sweetheart" than any actual medal, and skated a layout that was easier than some ladies'. It's even funnier because Adam was chosen based on his "body of work" yet he skated a far easier program than he did the entire year which is what gave him the "body of work" advantage in the first place.

Adam's LP layout included two triple axels and had a base value of 75.6 (GOE raised the TES to 86 in the team event & 84 in the individual). Exactly which ladies' programs were more difficult than that?

tosca

On the Ice
Wow this thread went deep. I honestly have been trying to avoid this forum because of this interview. I am a self admitted Mirai fan through and through. Did I ever think she was the best skater in the world? No. Do I think she is underrated? Yes. Do i think she has a poor media presence? Yes.

So in regards to this interview, I will be honest. Even as a Mirai fan, I was disappointed. Do i think things were taken out of context? Yes. Is it annoying that reporters who don't normally follow figure skating are the ones ripping her apart? Yes. Anyone who follows Mirai knows that she is pretty sarcastic. I also agree with what a lot of people have said already with her trying to deflect her disappoint and reflect on the positive. That being said, this was a poor interview that set her up to be the ripped apart. I know she did some damage control but its already done. Even knowing that some of the things she said were jokes doesn't mean they were in poor taste. I don't think she was trying to bring up other skaters to tear them down, but to relate to her performance. Nevertheless, it was inappropriate.

It really sounds like Mirai is burnt out. Her practices were going so well until the end and she is such an emotional skater that when things go wrong, things spiral out of control. She did two major mistakes but gave a good and clean performance despite the mistakes. I am REALLY worried that this negative press is going to have an impact on her Worlds performance.

The best thing Mirai can do is train hard and kill it at worlds. IF she does well, it will give her another opportunity to clean up her image. The worse thing that could happen is if the American women lose their third spot. That will leave all of them up for the rampage of the media.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Unfortunately there will be pressure for spots, but the US ladies seem to have a knack for keeping the 3 spots when everyone else thinks it's a lost cause.

Unfortunately, the skater who contributed to that "knack" for the past 5 years won't be there: Ashley Wagner. Four of those years were with Gracie and last year with Karen. She also could have done it in 2012 (4th at Worlds), except that Alissa was 22nd.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wow this thread went deep. I honestly have been trying to avoid this forum because of this interview. I am a self admitted Mirai fan through and through. Did I ever think she was the best skater in the world? No. Do I think she is underrated? Yes. Do i think she has a poor media presence? Yes.

So in regards to this interview, I will be honest. Even as a Mirai fan, I was disappointed. Do i think things were taken out of context? Yes. Is it annoying that reporters who don't normally follow figure skating are the ones ripping her apart? Yes. Anyone who follows Mirai knows that she is pretty sarcastic. I also agree with what a lot of people have said already with her trying to deflect her disappoint and reflect on the positive. That being said, this was a poor interview that set her up to be the ripped apart. I know she did some damage control but its already done. Even knowing that some of the things she said were jokes doesn't mean they were in poor taste. I don't think she was trying to bring up other skaters to tear them down, but to relate to her performance. Nevertheless, it was inappropriate.

It really sounds like Mirai is burnt out. Her practices were going so well until the end and she is such an emotional skater that when things go wrong, things spiral out of control. She did two major mistakes but gave a good and clean performance despite the mistakes. I am REALLY worried that this negative press is going to have an impact on her Worlds performance.

The best thing Mirai can do is train hard and kill it at worlds. IF she does well, it will give her another opportunity to clean up her image. The worse thing that could happen is if the American women lose their third spot. That will leave all of them up for the rampage of the media.

I’m worried about the media affecting her as well. She’s very emotional skater, and I hope that she can put this controversy behind her. Worlds is only weeks away. Hopefully, she’ll talk with her sports psychologist again and they’ll help her through it.

However, it will be a long short for us to get three spots again. Not because we’re weak, but because the field is so deep. We’d need two ladies to get at least sixth and seventh. That’s going to be very hard, since about seven or eight ladies should outscore them ordinarily.

The good news is ordinarily, skaters that have disappointing skates at the Olympics come back strong at worlds. And vis versa. I can’t see Zhenia or Alina faltering, but I can see others have more mistakes that usual.

I don’t think she needs to “clean up” her image. It was just a bad interview. Most people will forget all about it when the next controversy starts. Because I haven’t heard a lot about Rafael/Nathan discussion in days. I haven’t heard any thing about Ashley’s controversial comments in a month. In fact, people now want her to go to worlds. Mirai needs to put this behind her and focus just on being a competitor. Dwelling on this will only negatively impact her confidence.

fenway3

On the Ice
The basics really aren't that hard:
  • Accept responsibility for your own actions
  • Thank people for their support
  • Don't say bad things about other competitors
  • Don't blame other people or other things that everyone else has to deal with equally with for your failings

Those are good points. You also don't want to come across as boastful or arrogant. For instance, in an interview after Lillehammer, Nancy Kerrigan said, "I was flawless." Not exactly the right thing to say. ;) You also want to refrain from saying anything negative about the judges (even if you really feel that way).

Those that give boring interviews within those basics don't increase their popularity, but at least they don't become any less popular as a result.

True. After all, you never hear of a sponsor dropping an athlete for making too many "boring, safe" remarks. :laugh:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
While I was never a fan of Mirai, I definitely warmed up to her in this past season, I really admired her going for the 3A and chasing her Olympic dream, I thought it was a beautiful moment when she had that amazing FS at nationals.

However, I can understand why people would question what she said, it sort of gives the impression that she just wanted to participate, not fight til the end. i'm sure she didn't mean it, but I definitely would have worded things differently. Mirai looks like a really sweet person, so I'm sure she was well meaning.

On a sidenote, US women complaining that the team event was draining, that waiting for the ladies event was tiring..... girlllllls, look at Medvedeva and Zagitova, or Osmond, or the Japanese ladies. Stop complaining. If they could make it, so could you.

Status
Not open for further replies.