Mirai Nagasu picked as one of the funnest sports figures.. | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu picked as one of the funnest sports figures..

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
#4 Mirai Nagasu

Figure skater is three years from drinking age, but Nagasu's tendency to say anything that crosses her mind makes for delightful entertainment.

Glad that tendency to say anything that crosses one's mind is regarded as delightful. You go girl, Mirai! :clap: Don't forget to bring it on the ice too, both programs. Good luck for 2012!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Awww awesome to see Miari (and as someone else pointed out, a woman!) on the list :) Finally happy with something Hersh has done!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wow... you'd think journalism would have a better grasp of... wait, what am I saying?!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Maybe it is the journalist attempt to be 'kool' the urban dictionary way

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=funnest

Or...it is the funnest mistake ever, given it was made on the title of the page AS WELL as the title of the article - so at least it was consistent. On going American bastardisation of the English language perhaps? I look forward to next year when we have a funster list.

On the other hand, love Mirai since the Olympics, case point on my youtube clip :p

http://youtu.be/ENQb4iTUelA

KKonas

Medalist
Strangest teleconference with Mirai today. She was on her 2 hour drive back from a session with Frank Carroll - a time when she usually takes her nap. She is not planning on a triple Axel or a triple/triple combination in her programs. Spends her time between four different rinks working with Rafael in Lake Arrowhead some days and then the new rink in Pasadena and at Kwan's rink. There doesn't seem to be anyone in total control of her training. Don't know how ready she is for San Jose, but you never know with Mirai - she could surprise us all. Will be interesting to see what Phil Hersh has to say when he writes his article.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad to see Mirai not push herself technically and not do a triple/triple combination. But seeing how cautious she skated during the GP series maybe it's for the best. Mirai needs to just let it fly at Nationals and not think so much. And also get in much better shape. If she does that she has a chance but with her lack of confidence sometimes i won't hide my breathe.

KKonas

Medalist
Sad to see Mirai not push herself technically and not do a triple/triple combination. But seeing how cautious she skated during the GP series maybe it's for the best. Mirai needs to just let it fly at Nationals and not think so much. And also get in much better shape. If she does that she has a chance but with her lack of confidence sometimes i won't hide my breathe.

She said she is aspiring to be like Carolina Kostner, saying that after competing against Kostner who is amazing as she wins on her program components, Mirai is working on that part of her program, concentrating on her musicality and overall presentation. But Kostner does have a triple/triple combination.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She said she is aspiring to be like Carolina Kostner, saying that after competing against Kostner who is amazing as she wins on her program components, Mirai is working on that part of her program, concentrating on her musicality and overall presentation. But Kostner does have a triple/triple combination.

I think the wins of both Mirai and Caroline at such early ages has really hurt them mentally later on. They just weren't prepared for the backlash that would follow once they had a misstep.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's more then that. Some athletes have that mental toughness like Michelle Kwan or Tara had but then you have the Carolina's and Mirai's who are sometimes fragile mentally. All skaters get nervous but some fight back when they make mistakes but as we've seen from Carolina and Mirai when they make mistakes it sometimes snowballs and they seem lost. For instance at the Olympics in 2010 Carolina had a look on her face of being totally out of it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not speaking of Kostner, I'm speaking of Zhang. both US champs way too early, way before puberty, they have a crappy go of it once that does hit and they just really give up. Kostner fought for it a heck of a lot longer. Kostner and Csziny have mental weakness at competition as well, but I think it's entirely different to what Nagasu or Zhang experience(d).

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Thanks for the update-I missed it, is there a transcript of this teleconference somewhere online?