Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Mirai was with Charlene Wong Mirai was often in tears at competitions....from nerves. It might have been U. S. Nationals in 2009 that the TV commentators mentioned that Mirai was crying and a bundle of nerves and hardly able to compete. After Mirai switched to Frank Carroll in May 2009 I remember hearing Frank say to her as she came off the ice "no tears no tears". Perhaps the crying is why some people think Mirai is fragile.

Mirai just isn't a tough competitor. I'm not sure she gets any enjoyment at all out of competing---it's been many years since she's actually won a competition.

Icey

Record Breaker
Well maybe Mirai needs to work with Rafael or Caroline Zhang's old coach that was married to Karen Kwan. Mirai needs someone who can take some control and make her work for it and improve her technique. Her UR's should have been dealt with many seasons ago. Tom Z is too soft and Frank Carol is more about making every girl into an ice princess. Rafael would be perfect for her.

Re "coach that WAS married to Karen Kwan": Have Karen and Peter separated or divorced?

Raphael really hasn't done that well with other skaters' jump problems: Adam, Ashely or Mao, so I don't understand recommending him every time a skater has jump problems.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

mnm464

On the Ice

RABID

Final Flight
It's an attack to say that Mao and Kostner often win with bad performances and that Mao never fixed her jumping issues, as if the Sochi LP and her Worlds 2014 among many others never happened. Over 1.5 million hits on Tarasova's commentary of her Sochi LP speaks for itself. Carolina's Olympic performance was also a great performance that will always be remembered by those who love figure skating. It's strange how two of the top skaters are dragged into a Mirai thread in a derogatory manner as you have often done with Mao in the past. Apologize and then pounce.

I really liked Mirai's SP performance at Rostelecom a lot and wish her the best in Nationals. I'll be cheering for her.

I'm sorry, I haven't kept up, but I find this intriguing. What did Tarasova say?

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Honestly, I think that Mirai could do well w/ Audrey as a coach. A doesn't sugar coat things or baby you

Frank Carroll is the same way for the most part. I feel like she did the best under his coaching, but unfortunately that was ended due to travel issues at the time. Last I knew, Tom Z doesn't sugarcoat things either.

thoakun

Final Flight
What is Takashi Mura's credibility as a jump coach? I feel like she was at her best since parting with Carroll while working with Mura for only a few weeks.

kalle

On the Ice
I cannot see why she should do anymore coach hopping :confused:
She is not the only skater without UR or edge issues BUT I do not think the current jump layout favor her situation at all.I think however, the fact that she has upgraded and attacked all her planned elements show great strenght and motivation. I am so tired to read over and over about her issues, blank face and "does she really enjoy skating" comments. I like her for what the skater she was in 2010 but I also likeher for what skater she is today. Yes, she definitely has her fair share of disapointments but I would never want her to throw in the towel until she feels that she cannot progress anymore.
My only wish is that her team would try to play to her strenghts and certainly not give up the harder combinations but instead of repeating 3F and 3T would go for 3T and 3Loop

I was looking for an COP expert to understand how well she could score with an "easier" yet 7 triples LP.

3T/3T
3Z
3F
------
3S/2T/2L
3L/2T
3L
2A

Or something similar that could score well.Maybe more points if she could add a 2A after the 3L?
Also, maybe move the second combo to the first half of the program if she has more troubles to rotate in the 2nd half.
I am quite impressed that she has brought back the 3S which is beautiful! Maybe a future goal could be to do a 3L 1/2 L 3S (is that the como Ashley and Cesario attempt?)
I am still a bit partial about leaving out tve 2A/3T combo as she has done it nicely in the past.It seems though that the landing of her 2A does not permit her to get that precise air position in the 3T (maybe the 3A attemps are a bit messing up the timing on this combo for the time being..)
Anyway, fingers crossed that she has been practising well since the GP and that her technic, timing and precision is getting better.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I would agree that some fans treat Mirai with kid gloves - the ever-hopeful that keep thinking something miraculous is going to happen with her skating and she's all of a sudden going to land every jump clean, have a smile on her face and enjoy what she's doing! Then there is a group that continually attack everything she does. The fact that this thread is 74 pages long and has been going on for more than a year attests to that.

I still say - the proof in the pudding is going to be how she does at Nationals this year. In my mind, if she places lower than 5th she ought to just find another sport!!!

salchowx4

On the Ice
I hope it's okay to ask the question in the thread, but I read somewhere that the skating world treats Mirai with kid gloves and has for a long time. Is there a specific incident that made this happen, or is it just that she could be emotionally fragile?

I want her to skate well at Nationals- I guess she really has to rotate her jumps. I would love to see her Medal again.

It's not true.

Many elite skaters have passionate fans who overlook flaws no matter how significant. Mirai is one of those skaters.

Other than those few people, the figure skating world has not treated her with kid gloves at all. She's been coached by strong personalities, been in front of tough judges, critiqued by commentators, criticized on message boards, and the list goes on. She isn't getting special treatment.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think that Mirai could do well w/ Audrey as a coach. A doesn't sugar coat things or baby you

I cannot see why she should do anymore coach hopping :confused: ...

I hope that my post above re Mirai's week at Weisiger's camp was not misleading. Just in case, I will add that I was not suggesting that it was any signal that Mirai was thinking beyond Coach Tom Z, who was there too as a regular at Weisiger's camps. (Plus I'm not sure whether Weisiger has any full-time students at this point??)

... Many elite skaters have passionate fans who overlook flaws no matter how significant. Mirai is one of those skaters.

Other than those few people, the figure skating world has not treated her with kid gloves at all. She's been coached by strong personalities, been in front of tough judges, critiqued by commentators, criticized on message boards, and the list goes on. She isn't getting special treatment.

:agree:

mnm464

On the Ice
I hope that my post above re Mirai's week at Weisiger's camp was not misleading. Just in case, I will add that I was not suggesting that it was any signal that Mirai was thinking beyond Coach Tom Z, who was there too as a regular at Weisiger's camps. (Plus I'm not sure whether Weisiger has any full-time students at this point??)

:agree:

Yeah...Now that I think about it, A doesn't take anymore students full time. I wanted to take from her, but then it didn't work out to move to DC or Virginia. Oh well, I am sure things will work out.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mirai just isn't a tough competitor. I'm not sure she gets any enjoyment at all out of competing---it's been many years since she's actually won a competition.

I kind of thought she did well with Charlene Wong - and in fact when I researched Wong I can see some very nice delicate lines and interpretation that Mirai seems to have too (Charlene Wong was the Susan Lucci of Canadian skating it appears - the Queen of double axels).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think the expression "kid gloves" is kinda dumb but I get what he was saying. But like someone said the same holds true for pretty much all skaters.

Mirai has a lot of fans and people who eternally hold out hope for the day when she finally lives up to all the potential we saw back in 2010... Admittedly, I'm one of those people. The girl has massive massive potential but it's never come all the way together for her. She's the kind of skater who is very infuriating to watch because you know if by chance she rotated all of her jumps and skated with that same sparkle and liveliness we saw back in 2010 that she could easily be among the top ladies in the sport.

Since 2012 I've greatly lowered my expectations when it comes to Mirai. I will always cheer for her to do well but I've learned not to expect much from her... That makes it much easier and less heartbreaking to watch her.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think the expression "kid gloves" is kinda dumb but I get what he was saying. But like someone said the same holds true for pretty much all skaters.

Mirai has a lot of fans and people who eternally hold out hope for the day when she finally lives up to all the potential we saw back in 2010... Admittedly, I'm one of those people. The girl has massive massive potential but it's never come all the way together for her. She's the kind of skater who is very infuriating to watch because you know if by chance she rotated all of her jumps and skated with that same sparkle and liveliness we saw back in 2010 that she could easily be among the top ladies in the sport.

Since 2012 I've greatly lowered my expectations when it comes to Mirai. I will always cheer for her to do well but I've learned not to expect much from her... That makes it much easier and less heartbreaking to watch her.

That's about my mindset, too. Of course, I'd love for her to be back on top but after so many years it's hard to expect anything from her. This season hasn't made me much more hopeful even though I think she is trying hard. I think 2011 was the year for her to make her move and establish herself. But it seems she couldn't get herself in the right mindset. Now, it seems her mindset is much matured but she doesn't have the same body and other skaters have come up and she has technical flaws that seem difficult to iron out. Still, we'll see.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Layfan and Kwanatic. I have lowered my expectations with her but still enjoy aspects of her skating. I do like her "Madame Butterfly" this season, I just wish she could overcome her UR issue so she could medal more often.

I hope she continues to skate competitively as long as she wants to and has the means. She will retire when she is ready.

Wishing her luck at Nationals, it will be an interesting competition in an off Olympic year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd love to know what Mirai's goals are for her skating career at this point. Is she wanting to win another US title? World medal? None of the above?

noskates

Record Breaker
My guess is that she wouldn't be training and competing if she didn't have winning another US Title as a goal....and then a World medal. Can't imagine she would do it for the love of skating only......But - who knows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She said she wants to go to World's now obviously a national title would be helpful but the key is getting there.