MK Pro vs MK Phantom blades? | Golden Skate

MK Pro vs MK Phantom blades?

halflutz

Rinkside
Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to purchase the MK Pro or CA blades for quite some time now. Unfortunately, the dealers near me never seem to have them in stock (particularly my size), and they can't provide a definite date for when they will be restocked. I'm at the point where I just can't wait any longer. The dealers have offered me the Legacy 7 or Matrix Legacy options as alternatives, but from what I've heard, I'm not interested in either of them.

So, I'm pondering whether I should just go for the MK Phantom instead. I am aware that Phantom blades are designed for high-level skaters, but I'm not entirely sure what the hang-ups might be. I remember someone mentioning that they could actually hinder my progress and I don't need their aggressive toe pick (I'm working on singles). Anyone have more insight on this?

If you could break it down and give me some more details, I'd really appreciate it.
As always, thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to purchase the MK Pro or CA blades for quite some time now. Unfortunately, the dealers near me never seem to have them in stock (particularly my size), and they can't provide a definite date for when they will be restocked. I'm at the point where I just can't wait any longer. The dealers have offered me the Legacy 7 or Matrix Legacy options as alternatives, but from what I've heard, I'm not interested in either of them.

So, I'm pondering whether I should just go for the MK Phantom instead. I am aware that Phantom blades are designed for high-level skaters, but I'm not entirely sure what the hang-ups might be. I remember someone mentioning that they could actually hinder my progress and I don't need their aggressive toe pick (I'm working on singles). Anyone have more insight on this?

If you could break it down and give me some more details, I'd really appreciate it.
As always, thank you!
I have to ask: Are you trying to secure traditional MK Pro or JW Coro Aces or Rev/Lites? B/c I know that the manufacturer is having a hard time turning out enough tradtional versions right now, but seems like Lites and Revs are avail. I usually don't recommend the Revs/Lites, but if it's an option go for it. You can always return to traditional ones when they become available. I would not suggest Phantom to you b/c they are parabolic and if you don't need them and don't know how to skate with them, they will cause you many an issue and at your level they aren't needed.
Now if you can't get your hands on any kind of intermediate MK or JW blades (Coro Ace or Pro) then even though it's higher than you need right now, I'd suggest Gold Star before I would ever suggest Phantom for you.

Good luck! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm going to stray from the usual advice here and state that Legacy 7 aren't bad blades. I don't think that they're as good as Coronation Ace or MK Pro, especially for spinning, but there's really nothing intrinsically wrong with them. In the current situation of a major shortage of Aces and Pros, they are a reasonable substitute. I know many skaters working on singles, including Axel, who are liking them very much and seem to have no trouble spinning either. One of the skaters is doing very well on hers and she swapped from MK Pros because she couldn't get another pair to replace her old ones. She certainly hasn't reported any problems in the transition or with any aspect of the blades. Personally, I'd suggest Legacy 7s before Gold Stars, too. And definitely NOT Phantoms!

Now, obviously, @Ic3Rabbit and I will be having a fight in the car park but...

halflutz

Rinkside
Thank you for the advice @Ic3Rabbit @WednesdayMarch ! Very helpful!
I have to ask: Are you trying to secure traditional MK Pro or JW Coro Aces or Rev/Lites? B/c I know that the manufacturer is having a hard time turning out enough tradtional versions right now, but seems like Lites and Revs are avail. I usually don't recommend the Revs/Lites, but if it's an option go for it. You can always return to traditional ones when they become available.
Yes, I want the standard ones, not the lites. I'll try looking for the lites then!
Unfortunately, they don't have Gold Star in stock either :frown:
Personally, I'd suggest Legacy 7s before Gold Stars, too. And definitely NOT Phantoms!
If I manage to find the MK Pro Lite, would you recommend that over the Legacy 7?

Also I'm curious, I understand that being over booted can cause serious problems, but can someone also experience issues from being over blade? And what kind of issues could they face?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you for the advice @Ic3Rabbit @WednesdayMarch ! Very helpful!

Yes, I want the standard ones, not the lites. I'll try looking for the lites then!
Unfortunately, they don't have Gold Star in stock either :frown:

If I manage to find the MK Pro Lite, would you recommend that over the Legacy 7?

Also I'm curious, I understand that being over booted can cause serious problems, but can someone also experience issues from being over blade? And what kind of issues could they face?
I've not found anyone yet who loves the MK Pro Lites. But I am seeing lots of skaters loving the Legacy 7s when they move from their entry level blades, eg Edea Rotation, Charme, Mark II, Mark IV, Aspire, etc. And, more importantly for me, they are progressing well and happy on them.

The issues with being over bladed included struggling with the toe picks (you really need to be skating on the correct part of the blade in order to cope with larger picks and that takes time to master), the length of the heels (adds to stability but can also cause issues with skaters who aren't absolutely confident in where exactly their blade ends) and the speed. High level blades are a lot faster and that can cause big problems for those not actually ready for it. The biggest problem with high level blades is that skaters see them as "better" and therefore feel that they will improve their skating when in fact the opposite is so often the case. The best blade - as with boot - for each skater is the one that suits their level and skating. Moving up too soon compromises their progress as they are fighting their equipment not working with it.

Hope this helps.

IceM

Spectator
Might be an unpopular opinion around here, but: You can't really "overblade".

Yes, some "intermediate" blades have features that can make learning the basics easier (and getting an "advanced" blade surely won't make you a better skater). But what's far more important is finding a blade that works for you, and then sticking to it. Whether that's a Phantom, Gold Seal, Pattern 99, or "just" a Coronation Ace, then so be it.

So, don't be afraid of trying the Phantom, just because it's parabolic or "too advanced". Do you need a parabolic blade? Probably not. But the again, nobody really does (your biggest worry on getting one will be the stress of finding a tech who won't wreck the blade sharpening it).

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
By observation, more than by personal experience, I tend to agree with the above.

There's a lady who I'm friends with at the rink, she only comes a couple times a week and she doesn't belong to the club. She's practicing edges and 3 turn, no advanced skills at all. She doesn't jump, however she has Phantom attached on her Risports. She started on MK Pro a few years ago, upgraded to Phantom a couple years ago. I can definitely see how that toe pick is bigger than mine, for example, but I've never seen this lady trip on it. Ever.
I jump, however I still use Coronation Ace out of habit (I switched to the lite version in Q4 of last year since my old ones were done and the orders for traditional ones were taking a long time and loved them). My coach says I should upgrade next time I need a new blade, she's a fan of the 8 ft rocker (she wears pattern 99 herself) so the recommendations are either the Pattern 99 with the straight cut pick, or if I want a cross cut pick (the coronation aces have a cross cut pick), go with what so many skaters in our club have, the Matrix Supreme. Whatever I choose, Im sure it will be some time until I get used to them.

So if one wants Phantom, discuss with your coach, see what she/he thinks and go for it, see if you like them.