Most marketable Female athletes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most marketable Female athletes

peg

Medalist
Unfortunately, the source is NOT an article, but just a mere website operated by a marking firm. I'm waiting for the original poster's answer on how reliable source it is because I've never heard of the firm name until today.

Well, just because it's a marketing firm doesn't mean that they aren't using a valid and recognized index. And really it makes sense that a marketing firm would publish this because their business is marketing and they are talking about marketability. In fact, I would expect that they would be more familiar with determining marketability than would a newspaper, as that is their business. There's a lot of data analysis and statistics that goes into marketing.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wonder how is the marketability of russian ladies? Yulia was and is very popular because the olympics and I did not know if she was doing commercials or some kind of ad.

minze

Medalist
Unfortunately, the source is NOT an article, but just a mere website operated by a marking firm. I'm waiting for the original poster's answer on how reliable source it is because I've never heard of the firm name until today.
Some twitted this I went in and posted because it included two figure skaters. I am not sure what answer do you want from me on reliability since I don't run the website. I never claimed it was 100% accurate. So, if you don't find the source credible ignore the info. Hey, we are not writing a school paper or research the cure for something. Just a list that mentiones two figure skaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krislite

Medalist
The full report (34 pages) is apparently available for a free download, but naturally you gotta give your email: http://repucom.net/women-sport/

I personally am not curious enough to risk being spammed, but for those who might be interested...

salchowx4

On the Ice
:scratch:
I never said it was a competition.

According to the article, it's an index that evaluated eight dimensions. I'm simply curious about the specifics of their methodology - i.e. what those dimensions were and how those scores were calculated. Clearly, it was quite specific given that they give ratings down to a decimal point. Obviously, based on the blurbs on each of the athletes, one components was recognizability within their own country. I'm curious as to what the others were to see whether that might explain why Yuna isn't on the list.

EIGHT ATTRIBUTES

AWARENESS

Indicates the percentage of people who are aware of the celebrity either by name or face. Awareness is the baseline. If the target does not know a celebrity, the other attributes are meaningless.

APPEAL

Measures likeability of the celebrity.

BREAKTHROUGH

Indicates the degree to which people take notice of the celebrity when they appear on TV, fi lm or print.

TRENDSETTER

Refl ects opinion on the celebrity’s position with regards to trends in society.

INFLUENCE

Measures the degree to which people believe the celebrity is an infl uence in today’s world. Does the celebrity impact brand consideration and purchase intent?

TRUST

Indicates the level of trust that the people place in the celebrity’s words and image.

ENDORSEMENT

Refl ects the degree to which people identify the celebrity as being an effective product spokesperson.

ASPIRATION

Measures the degree to which people feel the celebrity has a life to which they would aspire.

Celebrity David Brown Index (DBI) is a tool which sports marketers use to understand the public’s perceptions of over 7,000 personalities across 15 markets around the world (currently Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain, Turkey, the UK and the USA) representing the views of over 1.5 billion people.

It provides insights into specifi c demographics including age and income groups to give a clear picture of how audiences consider a personality or athlete. Additionally, it enables users to compare specifi c markets and show the changes in the perceptions over time-critical considerations for brands unlocking the power of celebrity endorsements.

These perceptions are measured against eight key attributes which, when combined together, give an overview of that person’s marketability. The individual attributes also provide key strengths and weaknesses of how the personality is seen in different countries around the world.

All attribute scores are displayed on a scale from 0 to 100 points with 100 points being the highest mark to attain. The calculation of the scores includes all percentage values of the questionnaire’s six-point scale and therefore provides results within the group of all respondents.
Source: Repucom’s Celebrity DBI

peg

Medalist
The full report (34 pages) is apparently available for a free download, but naturally you gotta give your email: http://repucom.net/women-sport/

I personally am not curious enough to risk being spammed, but for those who might be interested...

I'm not that curious either. Mostly I was puzzled why Yuna wasn't on it when Carolina and Mao were, but you explained that. Thanks for you digging though :)

And thanks also to salchow :)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well, just because it's a marketing firm doesn't mean that they aren't using a valid and recognized index. And really it makes sense that a marketing firm would publish this because their business is marketing and they are talking about marketability. In fact, I would expect that they would be more familiar with determining marketability than would a newspaper, as that is their business. There's a lot of data analysis and statistics that goes into marketing.

Well, you mistook the source as an article which is understandable since Minze2001 didn't specifically state in her/his post, so I corrected it with my post. I can see that the marketing firm's interests are lied on Europe and to some extent Japan than USA, one of the biggest sports marking fields given the firm's personnel management. The America team is covered by only three people, oddly no directer for USA while the Europe team has 12 people.

peg

Medalist
It is an article. Simply one that is written for a website rather than in a magazine, newspaper, or print journal. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://repucom.net/women-sport/marketable-female-athletes/

Very interesting list and it includes Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner.

Well, you mistook the source as an article which is understandable since Minze2001 didn't specifically state in her/his post, so I corrected it with my post. I can see that the marketing firm's interests are lied on Europe and to some extent Japan than USA, one of the biggest sports marking fields given the firm's personnel management. The America team is covered by only three people, oddly no directer for USA while the Europe team has 12 people.

It is an article. Simply one that is written for a website rather than in a magazine, newspaper, or print journal. :)

For the record:
Minze's OP specified that what is at the link is a list.​

And I'm on Team List. ;) #NotTeamArticle

salchowx4

On the Ice
Pre-Sochi scores:

Gracie Gold 37.19
Tatiana Volosozhar 47.91
Maxim Trankov 40.26

I imagine all three went up after.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
BTW, the correct name for the metric apparently is the Davie-Brown Index, which is garbled :eek: at the link in the OP.

... I couldn't find the company's entry even in Wikipedia - not that I consider the "so-called encyclopedia" reliable, but the site has pages about all sorts of trivial info.

Agree 1000% that Wikipedia is not necessarily reliable. FWIW, the DBI does have an entry there.

peg

Medalist
For the record:
Minze's OP specified that what is at the link is a list.​

And I'm on Team List. ;) #NotTeamArticle

:laugh2:

An article is simply a written work published in a print or electronic medium. It can certainly include lists, but generally does more than simply, you know, list things, which this piece certainly does. It gives a little bit of background on methodology (while not enough for someone like me, probably as much as most people would be looking for), and gives some information about each individual in paragraph form. Multiple paragraphs constitute a written work pretty much by definition.

And Minze didn't seem to understand the concept of an index, or why anyone would be interested in understanding the methodology, or even the fact that there was a specific methodology to determining the scores, so the fact that the OP casually referred to it as a mere list doesn't really mean anything. (No offense to Minze - from the comment that this wasn't a school paper, I'm assuming s/he is still fairly young - and I certainly know far more now than when I was in school.)

That said, if you wish to think of it as a mere list, you are perfectly free to do so. ;)

I can't believe this is an actual debate. Boy, people must be really bored :laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

An article is simply a written work published in a print or electronic medium. It can certainly include lists, but generally does more than simply, you know, list things, which this piece certainly does. It gives a little bit of background on methodology (while not enough for someone like me, probably as much as most people would be looking for), and gives some information about each individual in paragraph form. Multiple paragraphs constitute a written work pretty much by definition.

And Minze didn't seem to understand the concept of an index, or why anyone would be interested in understanding the methodology, or even the fact that there was a specific methodology to determining the scores, so the fact that the OP casually referred to it as a mere list doesn't really mean anything. (No offense to Minze - from the comment that this wasn't a school paper, I'm assuming s/he is still fairly young - and I certainly know far more now than when I was in school.)

That said, if you wish to think of it as a mere list, you are perfectly free to do so. ;)

I can't believe this is an actual debate. Boy, people must be really bored :laugh2:

I should have said Team Annotated List. But IMO, "article" still is a stretch. YMMV.

(And I think you have misunderstood Minze completely.)

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Looking at the criteria it makes sense now...Japan and Italy are both represented in the selected markets being studied. In those two countries, who is the most recognized and successful in figure skating? So Mao and Carolina will be scoring at the top in a lot of the criteria for that index in those two countries. Now both are not only the top figure skater in their country but also in the top 5 in the world for most of their quite long (in figure skating standards) careers with major international titles. Even if they don't score at the top in the other selected markets, they are still probably there in the mix within figure skating and would garner more positive than negative ratings considering their good reputation and appeal. Kim Yuna is also probably there in the mix in some of these countries but she will be at a disadvantage considering South Korea is not one of the selected markets plus she is probably not going to rate well in Japan.

minze

Medalist

Respectfully, you are assuming too much and in the process been offensive over a simple post with a list that I only posted because it includes figure skater. Again the website is public domain if you wanted to know the process they used just check.
I am sorry I did not know that if I posted something, I had to include the methodology.

I don't understand:drama: what it mine post merited you discussing what I know,my age or anything else personal about me.

aa456

On the Ice
Both Japan and Italy are part of the top 10 highest GDPs in the world with Japan being the 3rd largest economy. Mao has massive following in Japan. Caro does too in Italy and she can potentially appeal to other Western European countries as well. Makes sense to have them on this list/article/whatever it is based on GDPs of their respective markets. I'm surprised none of the Russian skaters are on this list though.

minze

Medalist
Both Japan and Italy are part of the top 10 highest GDPs in the world with Japan being the 3rd largest economy. Mao has massive following in Japan. Caro does too in Italy and she can potentially appeal to other Western European countries as well. Makes sense to have them on this list/article/whatever it is based on GDPs of their respective markets. I'm surprised none of the Russian skaters are on this list though.

I agree, but it must be hard to compete with Sharapova who is the most marketable female according to the list globally. Also, just a question how popular is figure skating in Russia right now?

aa456

On the Ice
I agree, but it must be hard to compete with Sharapova who is the most marketable female according to the list globally. Also, just a question how popular is figure skating in Russia right now?

I personally think it's impossible for a skater to compete with someone like Sharapova in terms of popularity and mass appeal. Tennis stars are just much more popular than figure skaters (or other winter sport athletes). They have huge endorsements deals with global brands. They're known all over the world so it's impossible to match up to someone like Sharapova on the global stage. but skaters like Yuna/Mao/Caro do exceedingly well in their own markets which is great too.

regarding figure skating in Russia, I'm not sure how popular it is right now but based on what I read here on GS, Julia is very popular there.