Mount first or mold first? | Golden Skate

Mount first or mold first?

Talionis

Rinkside
Hi - I’m a new adult skater with a brand new pair of Jackson Ultima Evo boots. So far they seem comfortable and I think I’ll be happy in them. Their support rating is the same as the Jackson Artiste, but they’re part of Jackson’s Fusion series, so they’re heat-moldable. They also come with a temporary mount. When I took them to be sharpened, the tech (who appeared to be a teenager) said that I should skate on them some before getting the rest of the screws installed so that I can see if the blade needs adjusting. I have two questions - first, should I do the heat molding before the permanent mount, or does it matter? And second, how do I tell if the blade needs adjusting? All I have to compare them to are the rental skates I’ve been using. If there’s a wobble, how do I know if it’s the blade or if it’s me in all my Level 1 glory? Any tips that anyone has would be welcome. Oh, bonus question - I’m on the heavy side. Will my swizzling be safe with just a temporary mount for the time being?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
You should have had them molded before mounting the blades- really, you should get them molded when you get them. It's going to be more uncomfortable than necessary skating on unmolded boots.

Leave the temporary mount. A permanent mount is not necessary if you aren't doing jumps. You will need help from a coach or someone else with an experienced eye to determine if you need the blade moved.

Talionis

Rinkside
You should have had them molded before mounting the blades- really, you should get them molded when you get them. It's going to be more uncomfortable than necessary skating on unmolded boots.

Leave the temporary mount. A permanent mount is not necessary if you aren't doing jumps. You will need help from a coach or someone else with an experienced eye to determine if you need the blade moved.
Thanks! I have an appointment to have them molded this week. I wasn’t sure if I should cancel it until I had more screws installed, or if the molding should come first. It sounds like I should go ahead with the appointment, and worry about the permanent mount sometime later.