Name one skater and one performance ... | Golden Skate

Name one skater and one performance ...

soccerjc77

On the Ice
...that you felt the skater would go to the Olympics in the future (but hasn't or didn't)

For me, when I was watching this performance of Caroline Zhang 2007 SP GPF :

I was really thinking that time that she will be in the Olympic soon ! And, that was never happen.

Last edited:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
@soccerjc77 thank you for the link. I loved watching Caroline skating at U.S. Nationals and Junior Worlds in early 2007. I did not remember that she competed on the Senior Grand Prix later that year. I was certainly hoping and expecting that she would go on to further accomplishments.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Nic Nadeau... though he may make it in pairs.. but injuries meant that this former world junior vice-champion had to stop competing in singles... Also, the only Canadian landing a quad loop in competition... I was there for it, live in Ottawa !

Last edited:

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Oh my, the angel Rohene Ward. I can hardly describe the joy and hope I felt watching him in regionals and sectionals in the 90s. One performance? I think he skated to Turandot LP and landed a quad toe. Regionals? I forget the year. He was too talented to not be an Olympic legend - and then the heartbreak when it didn't happen. But his impact has been magnified as a coach, choreographer and pro, so it all worked out. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ryan Bradley from the beginning and he just missed the Olympics in 2010 (wish the US would have chosen him for team over Weir).
It's fine though, he won his National Championship finally in 2011 and it was glorious. He's now an excellent coach and the amazing showman that he is in shows. ;)

Then:

Now:

Last edited:

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Many many russians..., Elizaveta tuktamysheva, anna pogorilaya, elena radionova, polina tsurskaya just for the ladies, which it's something sad considering they were from a time when we have diversity in russia and not only Eteri tutberidze

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Polina Tsurskaya

This performance make me in love with her skating ! And, I was rooting for her to take the 3rd spot to the Olympic instead of Maria Sotskova.
She was the only Eteri girl that I find that her technic on her jump was great ! Real flip and real lutz, such a shame that she didn't go to the Olympic.

rabidline

Final Flight
For Rika Kihira specifically, her FS at NHK Trophy 2018. This was so commanding, I thought for sure she was a lock for the 2022 Olympics team. And now I hope she'll make it to the 2026 Olympics.

And honestly... I really thought Alena Kostornaia was going to make it to Olympics, ever since I first saw her at JGP Linz (yeah even before she has a triple axel).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For Rika Kihira specifically, her FS at NHK Trophy 2018. This was so commanding, I thought for sure she was a lock for the 2022 Olympics team. And now I hope she'll make it to the 2026 Olympics.

And honestly... I really thought Alena Kostornaia was going to make it to Olympics, ever since I first saw her at JGP Linz (yeah even before she has a triple axel).

Definitely these two came to my mind almost immediately. Kihira missing out was a tragedy :(

And while I was never a great fan of any of the 'previously known as the 3A' when it became obvious that one of them was going to miss out, I just... couldn't predict which, really. It still came as a surprise but I guess it would have been whichever it was. They were so predicted as a triple lock.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Aliona Kostornaya, Sofia Murav'yeva
Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin
Kaganovskaya/Angelopol
I think you're jumping the gun a bit with some of these - Sofia M. hasn't even yet been eligible for any Olympic Games, and while things aren't looking too great for Russian skaters to be at the next Olympics either, she might well end up being like Liza and continue skating and being competitive until she's well into her 20s.

And Kaganovskaya/Angelopol are literal babies when it comes to Ice Dance. They are just 17 and 19, and if things play out right for them, they might have 3-4 more chances to try for the Olympics (reminder that for example Guignard/Fabbri are 33 and 35 respectively and going for the next Olympics, which would be their fourth. They went to their first Olympics at 23/25).

Last edited:

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Roxanne Rheault

Retired at 2016. Such a shame because she was one that I was rooting for the 2018 Olympic.
Her artistry and her skating look effortless when her jumps were on !!
This is her only apparence at an international competition.