navka and Zhulin interview OK | Golden Skate

navka and Zhulin interview OK

maureend

Rinkside
Navka-Zhulin article
It’s very long, so I’ve edited considerably, Maureen .
www.ok-magazine.ru/?action=article&id=987

Re: rumors (trans. vicious, ubiquitous) that they are divorcing
Tatyana: “No, it’s not true… it’s complete nonsense. The worst part is that half of the people believe it. My relatives and friends, call, what’s going on with you and Sasha and worry.”
Aleksander: “When the article came out that Tanya is secretly involved with Marat, the two of us were at a sauna and oblivious. Then my mom called as if she was about to have a heart attack, asking “is it true”? I said, “What’s true”….I have had to say the phrase “everything is fine” about 10 times a day. Everyone called.”

Re: “There’s no smoke without fire”
T: Sometimes there is. Especially when some people have no conscience.

Re: Suing
Т.: “… After consulting with lawyers, who said we could win, but a lot of time – up to a year- would have to be spent and the financial claim is just a pittance compared to all the work that would have to go into it. We’d waste our nerves…”

Re: want to punch someone?
А.: In America , paparazzi often get slugged, but they only activate more. You don’t want to wake up and find a stranger under your bed one day…And why beat them? We should thank them! They gave us such incredible publicity! And for free.”

…..

T: “They just make up ugly lies about Sasha and me. Yesterday, my husband said I feel like my wife is Britney Spears or Madonna. It’s something terrible. Sometimes I’m really afraid to leave the flat, that paparazzi will come up…”

Re: jealousy
T – “In a normal way, I’ll never start scandals and hysterics, check his e-mail or text messages. There are such wives of course….

Re: reasons for jealousy
A “I trust Tanya completely. It’s even funny to talk about it. In 14 years, she has never given me a reason to doubt her….It’s distasteful all this stuff about Tanya and Marat, and it’s hard for him too – he has a wife and child…”
Re: physical contact in pairs while skating. How can one not be jealous?
A: It’s just stupid. You’re just not a skater, that is why you ask. There is no “contact”, there is working through blood, sweat and tears.”
T: “We get used to it as kids. When you skate, you have no sexual thoughts – just believe me when I say it. You think about how to do an element…”

Re; When you have a rare free evening, what do you do?
T: “I love to be at home with my husband. When we lived in America and I finished training at 4 p.m. , I was a real homebody. I loved to grocery shop and cook something tasty. My husband would arrive later, we’d eat, have a glass of wine, watch a film or have guests. Life was much calmer than in Moscow . Here there are presentations, filming, interviews – basically, madness. Although there are pluses to this life. Like the ice project. Yes, it’s exhausting…but I started to notice when I’m walking down the street or go in a story, the people who see me just smile. I realized that my work really does some good. It warms the heart.”

Q. What will you do when your fame passes?
T: “Praise God! Then it will be normal and calm. I won’t have withdrawal, I’ll gladly devote myself to family and friends. Raise my kids, start to cook again. Do you know what I really love? When there is a lot of snow, to go outside the city, ride sleds and fall in the snowbanks with my daughter and husband. It’s wonderful.”

Q – last time you did that
“About 2 years ago”

Q. Is Moscow a hard city to live in?
A: Yes, it’s true. There is a chance to develop, become a start, but every day it is throwing temptations in your face. If you can manage, survive – great, if not, it will destroy you and nobody will remember you at all.”
T: “I do love Moscow , but it becomes better for business and worse for living.”

Q Where would you like to settle down?
Т.: “ I haven’t thought about it, but probably here. As well as I’d like to have a home on the sea, for example in Italy , where our whole family could rest.”
А.: “ Italy is a disease for Tanya and me. We like everything about it – from the sea and sand to the people and food.”

Re: America

A: I don’t miss it, at least.
T: “We feel foreign there. Who is our national hero? Ivan the idiot! Maybe he is dumb, but sincere and will give a stranger the shirt off his back. In America you can’t get past the threshold of a stranger’s home and they won’t even offer you water. It’s a small thing, but everything is like that. When you say “How are you?” it’s an empty phrase. For us, it is the start of a conversation, but there it’s met by a smile and “how are you” back. The person won’t even wait for an answer before walking away. It’s superficial.”

Re: How did you live there?

T: “Like they did. We interacted only with Russians though. Our daughter went to American school and picked up too much…She is beyond her years in that she has her own system of morals, love of freedom, lack of shame. Recently she asked my sister, “Natasha, what is rape? I know the answer, but I’m interested in what you think.”

Re: She asked that seriously?

T: “Yes, my sister thought for a long time, since it’s a fairly trick question. Then she said, “It’s when people do something to you against your will.” I think it’s a decent answer in such a situation. But my daughter says, “About the same way as you force me to practice music?” Can you imagine? At her age, I was completely different. I was shy, even had complexes. I couldn’t defend myself. Why? I don’t even know.”

Re: lost that?

T: “Probably at 19, or more likely 20. When I met Sasha and started to feel like a woman…. Late, eh?:

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks for that! I'm glad to know all the rumors are false.
It's amazing how unimaginative those yellow journalists are. Just because Navka and Basharov were wildly popular as a team on the celebrities ice, they are put together as a supposed couple. Also shows how much the public yearns for the cliches...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It's amazing how unimaginative those yellow journalists are. Just because Navka and Basharov were wildly popular as a team on the celebrities ice, they are put together as a supposed couple. Also shows how much the public yearns for the cliches...

I think they're trying to find a parallel between what happened in the US with Swanson and Eisler--but thankfully that isn't what is happening here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I just think the rags are just extrapolating from the news of the Lobacheva / Averbukh split.

I just think it's funny that Navka has been targeted as the strayer. Zhulin has had a very spotty history in that regard. He cheated with Pasha Gritchuk while he was married to Maia Usova, and IIRC, he started dating Navka before his divorce was final.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I just think it's funny that Navka has been targeted as the strayer. Zhulin has had a very spotty history in that regard. He cheated with Pasha Gritchuk while he was married to Maia Usova, and IIRC, he started dating Navka before his divorce was final.
While I wouldn't even care about the actual moment the divorce becomes final, he and Tatiana started their affair while he was still really and trully married to Usova. In fact, according to Navka herself, the reason she and Gazolyan were shipped back to Moscow was to do some damage control on the Zhulin/ Usova relationship to give them at least a chance at a decent Olympic performance. As I said, it's not about anything remotely resembling the facts for the yellow journalists; Navka is gorgeous and sexy, and those qualities have been amply expoited on the ice - ergo, the public easily believes in her being the strayer.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Pacific Northwest Ballet performed Susan Marshall's Kiss, a very sensual, emotional aerial dance for a couple for the first time several years ago. The two performers spoke at a post-performance Q&A. Someone asked Casey Herd, a local tall, dark, handsome heartthrob, how his wife, a terrific fellow dancer with the company, felt about it, since he was so convincing. He shrugged and said in a very no-nonsense way, "It's work." (Kari Brunson, the other dancer, learned the role just before her wedding.)

Nureyev just smoldered with Fonteyn, especially in roles in works like Marguerite and Armand. There are many gay male ballroom dance champions who melt the floor with their partners in Latin. As the saying goes, that's why they call it acting.