NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings)

registered

On the Ice
Ladie's figure skating event haven't even started yet. So, how could Kwan's withdrawal hurt the over all ratings? Was she supposed to compete in any other event?

IMO NBC can only blame themselves here -- lousy coverage definitely turns viewers away. If not for the Internet, where I can see CCTV live, I would have missed most of figure skating coverage (like it happened for me with Pairs competition). But I wouldn't be surprised if cheesy stunts, like bringing Kwan to the Olympics, so she can march in the opening ceremony, in order to beef up ratings, did quite the opposite, and turned some potential viewers away.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To the posters who think it's NBC's fault...I ask you, what could they do right? What's YOUR idea for bring ratings back up?

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
To the posters who think it's NBC's fault...I ask you, what could they do right? What's YOUR idea for bring ratings back up?

Read LBC post at the top of the page. He/she addresses the issue, and I tend to agree.

As a skating fan, don't you hate the fact that there's an hour long break after every four skaters shown? You just never know when it's time to tune back in!

R.D.

Record Breaker
My question isn't what NBC is doing WRONG. It's how would you CHANGE the coverage? We know NBC is "wrong". But what's the RIGHT way to do it?

I actually like the split format because it allows the network to show more sports. But that's JMO.

However, on Tuesday and Thursday next week I can see it becoming a possible annoyance. I want to see all the skaters with no breaks in between!

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
However, on Tuesday and Thursday next week I can see it becoming a possible annoyance. I want to see all the skaters with no breaks in between!

Here, you've answered your own question! :yes:

LBC

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
My question isn't what NBC is doing WRONG. It's how would you CHANGE the coverage? We know NBC is "wrong". But what's the RIGHT way to do it?

I actually like the split format because it allows the network to show more sports. But that's JMO.

I suggest having each sport on at specific times. Also start the coverage earlier instead of it going past 11:00PM. Start at 7:00 or 7:30PM. It is just too late for some people who have to get up early. If you want the ratings then look at your competition. Figure skating is the most popular sport. Don't put it up against American Idol. Start it at 9:00PM. Say figure skating on from 9:00PM to 10:00PM. Put other sports in different time slots. Sports that aren't incrediably popular in the US or have not US contenters stick at 8:00- 9:00PM against Idol.
Just put out a schedule or tell everybody at the beginning of the broadcast when they were going to show certain events. Will you get people tuning out at certain times? Yes, but they are doing that now.

registered

On the Ice
LBC said:
Figure skating is the most popular sport. Don't put it up against American Idol. Start it at 9:00PM. Say figure skating on from 9:00PM to 10:00PM. Put other sports in different time slots. Sports that aren't incrediably popular in the US or have not US contenters stick at 8:00- 9:00PM against Idol.
Just put out a schedule or tell everybody at the beginning of the broadcast when they were going to show certain events.

Or at least announce an exact time you're going to get back to skating. Stop parroting: FS's going to be right back, only to show Skeleton instead, followed by some Curling. Personally, I just lose patience, and drift away from my TV set. When I'm back, geuss what...I've missed most interesting performances!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with LBC and I think that would be a good plan for them to follow next week.

It all depends on the ratings. There is a lot of work organizing a sport for TV. the more popular sports which are shown on a regular basis, already have a built in system.

How many skating fans really care about 2nd tier skaters if it were shown on TV?
How many skating fans really care if their favorite isn't skating?
How many skating fans are interested in all the disciplines?

And that's just the avid fans. When you bring in the casual fans it's just the top drawer skaters that they'll even consider watching. If something is better then that's what they will turn to.

The American media wants to make money. If it doesn't then so goes the Olys.

Joe

blueskies

Spectator
Dee4707 said:
Johnny would make Camille do it!!

Dee

Simon: "I don't mean to be rude, but that outfit is ghastly."

Johnny: "Talk to the hand, Simon, talk to the hand. And by the way, her name's Camille."

rob43

On the Ice
Popularity is hard to predetermine & I think advertising necessarily has to focus on the known 'names.' Hence Ohno, Miller and Kwan. As great as V. Flowers' story is she is not as well known nor are any of the sports which only receive Olympic coverage. Judging by how things have panned out, I thinl 2010s programming will be all about the snowboarders and tricksters on skis. They seem to be hitting a demographic.

I think FS will always maintain a core audience; however only certain skaters can draw beyond it. Witt had 'it' and the Battle of the Carmens and Tonya/Nancy became events. For some reason Kwan has also moved beyond the core audience- so that infrequent fans will care what happens. Without her there is still an audience but there is less interest from marginal fans. I think Bonnie Blair was another athlete with that draw.

We'll see how things shape up- Emily is getting major press and Sasha could if she were not basically blacking out the media (which I think is wise on her part.)

rob43

On the Ice
I also think we forget that not all demographics are equal in terms of advertisers. They love tweens and they love 18-30 year old males. So when shows like 'Murder She Wrote' and 'Everybody Loves Raymond' pull huge numbers they are rewarded but advertisers don't pay as much for the adds as they might for a Seinfeld or Letterman which they seem to think draw edgier and more free-spending audiences.

rob43 said:
Judging by how things have panned out, I thinl 2010s programming will be all about the snowboarders and tricksters on skis. They seem to be hitting a demographic.
I agree. That's the future of the Olympic games.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I didn't keep up with this thread, but here are my top five ideas for NBC & Olympic coverage.

1. The X-Games are simply cooler than the Olympics. NBC should've payed closer attention and worked with ABC to balance out the whole "oh, I just saw Shaun White win two weeks ago." Maybe move the snowboarders closer to the end and hype up those competitons as the real showdown for the baggy pants crowd.

2. Focus advertising more on the sports themselves vs. main draws... for example, speed skating instead of Apollo... this would leave more room for the Shanis & Chads. The same goes with figure skating.

3. Trade out Bob Costas or add a cooler host to his couch.

4. Actually show the medals ceremonies.

5. Just make it cooler.

I spoke with a friend who works in media planning and her comment was quite interesting... SLC shouldn't be a marker of overall popularity of the Games because SLC did a really good job of making the event cool, where as most European countries are all about the tradition and whatnot. She went on to say that this model of national pride is simply outdated in a world that is becoming "flat." People now tend to root for athletes vs. winning for the home team... Something to think about.

I'm not sure about Bob Costas being tossed out without someone coming up with a better replacement.

National pride is killing the Olys, imo. People who love sports, should not care about where the winner comes from.

Tradition is important but so is moving on.

Like rob43, I agree figure skating will always have a core audience, but I do not see it getting any larger by comparison with Golf, Tennis, Nascar and all those team sports. Pay-per-View for Boxing makes good money. FS could never get that, i am sure.

Joe

sk8rpatty

Rinkside
registered said:
Or at least announce an exact time you're going to get back to skating. Stop parroting: FS's going to be right back, only to show Skeleton instead, followed by some Curling. Personally, I just lose patience, and drift away from my TV set. When I'm back, geuss what...I've missed most interesting performances!

ITA! And since when is 11:00-11:35pm prime time?? Which is when they are airing the final groups. My alarm goes off at 4:30am...this is killing me! :eek:hwell: