NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings)

Jhar55

Medalist
Just a thought but maybe one network shouldn't get all the events. Let other networks bid on what events they want to show for expamle, ABC could bid on all the figure skating and in winning that bid they have to show ALL of the skaters and have air time start at 6pm. No matter when it's aired someones going to miss due to there work schedule.
Why can't we have a skating channel? NFL has their own channel now!

sk8rpatty said:
ITA! And since when is 11:00-11:35pm prime time?? Which is when they are airing the final groups. My alarm goes off at 4:30am...this is killing me! :eek:hwell:
and let's face it you have not yet digested the judges scores at 11:35, and that could keep you awake another hour at least. Happens to me.:frown:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Last night NBC got strong ratings for the ladies short but still couldn't beat Idol for the top spot.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Most of us in the northern half of the country have gone skating or skiing or sled riding and can relate to those sports. But many of the newer sports that started in the last 10 years or so that show competitors flying thru the air 40 off the ground upside down, doing all sorts of wild tricks, either snowboarding or skiing, really don't connect with most people. As wild as it looks , I just can't watch it.

However, one of the newest sports that I did like a lot was the Snowboard Cross, with four racers at a time. That was exciting.

Linny

Final Flight
Not disappointed

The ratings families simply aren't looking at me. I am not disappointed, not one wit, with the Olys thus far. I've Tivo'd it all and used my other Tivo to catch things on other channels. I have only seen bits and pieces of the other sports while I fast forward to the figure skating. I'll stop once in a while - yes, I liked the Snowboard Cross - but I'm mostly digging on the figure skating.

With the lead-in program, Olympic Ice (I luf Mary Carillo), I'm certainly getting a nice FS fix. And what excitement! How about those pairs. What guts! And the men - wasn't sure who the medal winners were going to be up until the end. The Ice Dancing contest was the best actual contest I've EVER seen in the discipline. Such drama... and, again, there was no way to know the winners until the end. The ladies have me on the edge of my seat. So many wonderful skaters! Such an embarrassing SP for cupcake. Hope she does a Lysechek and rallies for the long.

CoP is fascinating also. I'm excited to see in depth analysis here on GS. I'm starting to actually correlate the scores with the performances. It adds a whole new dimension to the contest.

I'm also not watching at 11:15 at night. I can't stay awake just sitting in my livingroom. I can't believe they've got skaters trying to perform at that late hour!

Linny

dmr65

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I don't think it's anyone's fault. I just think that the Olympics is the new Miss America Pageant. Big in the 1950s. That was then, this is now.

Bingo!

Denise...

dmr65

On the Ice
I don't know if I agree with Simon... The Olympics are about us all seeing who is best from around the world... They seem to focus on a select few people. I like to see who is out there competing.. America is a salad bowl, not a melting pot of diverse people...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Last night, the ratings weren't even close. Idol's numbers were bigger than the other networks combined.

millie

Medalist
NBC is supposed to be covering the Olympics. How come they are not televising it live. CBC is also covering the Olympics and they have postponed all their TV schelule for the Olympics. Do you think that another American station could have covered it live rather than chopped up pieces?

millie said:
NBC is supposed to be covering the Olympics. How come they are not televising it live. CBC is also covering the Olympics and they have postponed all their TV schelule for the Olympics. Do you think that another American station could have covered it live rather than chopped up pieces?
I think the problem is that U.S. TV networks think that they are the story, rather than the actual competitions. They think we would rather see Bob Costas than the events. I am sure the network executives spend a lot of time congratulating themselves on what a fine entertainment package they came up with -- hooray for NBC sports coverage, instead of hooray for the athletes of the winter games.

National news coverage is the same way. They think that the newsreader is more important than the people making news.

MM

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
I think the problem is that U.S. TV networks think that they are the story, rather than the actual competitions. They think we would rather see Bob Costas than the events. I am sure the network executives spend a lot of time congratulating themselves on what a fine entertainment package they came up with -- hooray for NBC sports coverage, instead of hooray for the athletes of the winter games.

National news coverage is the same way. They think that the newsreader is more important than the people making news.

MM

I suppose that the American way. With regards to the news coverage, we can turn on any TV station and get the minute by minute news from the US, almost form any state. Do Americans get much news coverage from Canada? We are only a small island with about half million people and I bet we can talk about any major story that happens in the US.:)