NBC To Take over US Skating Coverage through Next Olympics | Page 8 | Golden Skate

NBC To Take over US Skating Coverage through Next Olympics

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I apologize for not reading through the entire thread - but still wanted to add my two cents - please forgive it any is repetitive....

While NBC does a great job of promoting and televising the olympics, I don't see this as a long term improvement for serious skating fans... ABC/ESPN are great in that they understand sports in general - something NBC does not. Further, NBC coverage will slant towards personal stories vs. competitive analysis... there's a reason Sandra B. is their Olympic commentator. We will have less skating, more fluff and weird GP coverage overall. If you don't believe me - look at US Gymnastics... the coverage is uneven at best and has been detremintal to the sport overall.

On the other hand, casual fans will enjoy watching the competitions on cable stations and the sport will be more accessable... there will also be more sponsorships - initally - but long term, I'm not so sure.

I'm glad the USFSA is making some moves in terms of tv contracts - and is finally making a decision, any decision, with developing a business plan. Unfortuantely, I think overall the sport is going to suffer in the long term.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think they might take an interest in up-and-comer Caroline Zhang (someone said she was going to compete in senior nats next year?)
She is eligible right? I never heard but took it as a "given" she would. What are the chances she won't "move up?"

And on the topic of Caroline, what do you New Yorkers know about Cindy Stuart? Maybe I am not paying attention, but the first I have heard her name. Like what I have seen Caroline skate of hers (assuming both were her Chori) but know nothing about her, like do the Sr. use her for their choreography ever?

nymkfan51

Medalist
I apologize for not reading through the entire thread - but still wanted to add my two cents - please forgive it any is repetitive....

While NBC does a great job of promoting and televising the olympics, I don't see this as a long term improvement for serious skating fans... ABC/ESPN are great in that they understand sports in general - something NBC does not. Further, NBC coverage will slant towards personal stories vs. competitive analysis... there's a reason Sandra B. is their Olympic commentator. We will have less skating, more fluff and weird GP coverage overall. If you don't believe me - look at US Gymnastics... the coverage is uneven at best and has been detremintal to the sport overall.

On the other hand, casual fans will enjoy watching the competitions on cable stations and the sport will be more accessable... there will also be more sponsorships - initally - but long term, I'm not so sure.

I'm glad the USFSA is making some moves in terms of tv contracts - and is finally making a decision, any decision, with developing a business plan. Unfortuantely, I think overall the sport is going to suffer in the long term.

Unfortunately, ABC wasn't interested in extending the contract. I feel grateful that NBC was willing to sign on. I believe they will do a better job, if for no other reason than it will be benefical for them (with the Olympics coming in 2010)if figure skating regains some of it's popularity.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We won't know which network does the better job until after 2008 Nats...ABC wasn't that great but they definitely got better IMO as 2006 came (showing the last two groups instead of just the last group). We got to see many up-and-comers then who normally don't make TV.

I don't see NBC really being any worse, given that live coverage does not allow for too many fluff pieces (unless they decide to chack skaters in between performances). It's gonna be tough to top ABC/ESPN's coverage of 2006 and 2007, though, so I think we will move backwards in that regard. But I think as far as broadcast TV time goes, we're holding steady. If you didn't have cable, you only got to see the ladies' freeskate on ABC (and two hours of exhibition). There might have been some wrap-up show as well. so in that case NBC will offer more to casual fans (without ESPN) in terms of overall coverage...or at least we think so!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, ABC wasn't interested in extending the contract. I feel grateful that NBC was willing to sign on. I believe they will do a better job, if for no other reason than it will be benefical for them (with the Olympics coming in 2010)if figure skating regains some of it's popularity.

I understand that... what I'm saying is that I don't think this move is good for skating in anyway outside of business... short term its good, but in three years time, I wonder what skating going to look like... just an observation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Depends on how much success skating gets in these three years...right? ;)

Non-Olympic skating has gone mostly under the radar the past 5 or so years, ever since ABC stopped broadcasting the Worlds. I can't see how we can go anywhere but up in this situation. Skating was in danger of becoming a webcast-only sport but luckily USFS was able to tweak the Nats schedule to get a TV network interested in showing the event. In my eyes, skating has already bottomed out and this is a last gasp for air...it can be saved, or it can go all to the Web.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wonder what skating going to look like... just an observation.

IT is going to BOOM!!!!! And it is best that it doesn't get tied down for everyone is going to be clamoring to get their hands on the rights to air it!!!!!

Word to the Izo!:laugh:

Jhar55

Medalist
To me what Emersol said about promoting on USA & NBC is that it would be shown on both, could be wrong. Like Joez said it's still a wait and see and then what they going to dump it once the Olympics is over?
As for eurosport they do live but we can't pick it up in the states the video part.
I tried during worlds and couldn't get anything.

We won't know which network does the better job until after 2008 Nats...ABC wasn't that great but they definitely got better IMO as 2006 came (showing the last two groups instead of just the last group). We got to see many up-and-comers then who normally don't make TV.

I don't see NBC really being any worse, given that live coverage does not allow for too many fluff pieces (unless they decide to chack skaters in between performances). It's gonna be tough to top ABC/ESPN's coverage of 2006 and 2007, though, so I think we will move backwards in that regard. But I think as far as broadcast TV time goes, we're holding steady. If you didn't have cable, you only got to see the ladies' freeskate on ABC (and two hours of exhibition). There might have been some wrap-up show as well. so in that case NBC will offer more to casual fans (without ESPN) in terms of overall coverage...or at least we think so!
I like your first sentence best. We just don't know how this is going to turn out. There's lots of speculation (and why not?) but the proof is in the RATINGS. Rembember NBC is not a sponsor of figure skating but looks for sponsors. And it is just till the Olys and not much else. They are not into Worlds or even GP events outside of the US.

How high the hopes?

Joe

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
How high the hopes?
Well pardon me while I become a little "Frank.";)

The Ram will take down the Dam, The Ant will move the plant, and Figure skating will get the big ratings!
Cuz I've got.....

Sorry, the fork is in me.

Well pardon me while I become a little "Frank.";)

The Ram will take down the Dam, The Ant will move the plant, and Figure skating will get the big ratings!
Cuz I've got.....

Sorry, the fork is in me.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: To parphrase an old movie. Why do we look to NBC, when we have ABC?

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A poster @ FSU (who has commented on several Kwan storys in the past from what appears to be someone from 'around or inside her camp') has posted today that NBC executives have approached Kwan (most likely through Shep, her agent) indeed offering her a role with NBC's coverage and that we should not be surprised if there is an announcement soon one way or the other.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And like I responded there, I hope she turns it down because she could be a potential distraction from the broadcast and what's actually happening on the ice. She's too "fresh off the grill" for people to completely dissociate her from her past skating career.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She could explain Cop to the audience, though...that would be not too tall a task for her- she could be on the air and away from the booth :biggrin:

Or recap yesterday's performances...or something! Make her useful ;) Interview the winner after the program. "So how do you, umm, feel right now?" :rock:

I think the most likely thing they'd have her do is promote the event. When people see Kwan, they naturally want to tune in.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think only NBC knows exactly what role they see her in as a team member. Personally I hope she takes the job and broadens her work experience while gaining yet another perspective on the sport she, and we love. :thumbsup: