Need help with my two foot spin | Golden Skate

Need help with my two foot spin

Vladik

On the Ice
Hello, I am looking for some advice on my two foot spin. I am finding it quite tricky and could do with some help.
My two main problems are:

1. Unable to start the spin (push off)
  2. Unable to spin on my 'sweet spot' without my feet sliding apart.

To further expand on the first issue, I find it really difficult to start my spin and the only way I’ve been able to do so successfully is when I push myself off from the side of the rink with my hand. I have tried to start the spin on my toe pick of the foot I am spinning on (left foot), and have also tried with my blade flat on the ice (this being done with my left foot), whilst with my right foot I sort of pump around, if that makes any sense. I’ve been watching plenty videos and still can’t get to grips with it. When I pump around with my right foot it just sort of feels as if I am dragging my blade rather than actually skating around.

Regarding the second problem, when I do manage to spin a bit, or locate my sweet spot, my feet slide apart. I have tried very hard to prevent this but it just does not seem to work and they just persist and keep sliding apart. When I do locate the sweet spot, the spinning does feel great so I know I am skating on the correct spot. I just cannot keep my feet together at all.

Any advice would be appreciated. This write-up is quite vague so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you!

yesterday

Record Breaker
Hello, I am looking for some advice on my two foot spin. I am finding it quite tricky and could do with some help.
My two main problems are:

1. Unable to start the spin (push off)
  2. Unable to spin on my 'sweet spot' without my feet sliding apart.

To further expand on the first issue, I find it really difficult to start my spin and the only way I’ve been able to do so successfully is when I push myself off from the side of the rink with my hand. I have tried to start the spin on my toe pick of the foot I am spinning on (left foot), and have also tried with my blade flat on the ice (this being done with my left foot), whilst with my right foot I sort of pump around, if that makes any sense. I’ve been watching plenty videos and still can’t get to grips with it. When I pump around with my right foot it just sort of feels as if I am dragging my blade rather than actually skating around.

Regarding the second problem, when I do manage to spin a bit, or locate my sweet spot, my feet slide apart. I have tried very hard to prevent this but it just does not seem to work and they just persist and keep sliding apart. When I do locate the sweet spot, the spinning does feel great so I know I am skating on the correct spot. I just cannot keep my feet together at all.

Any advice would be appreciated. This write-up is quite vague so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you!

As you mention questions, from my experience here on this board, there's one that will come in any case:
Do you have a coach?
If so, what do they say?
If not, why not? (and get one)

This is not intended to be rude or ignoring the problem, but it is always better to have someone seeing you on ice in person. Ideally someone you can really work with and who maybe knows you a little. And that someone can show you how to do it, better than any video can.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Your feet shouldn't be together in a two foot spin, but ideally about hip-width apart with your weight centred between them. Knees bent.

Obvious question here - are your blades blunt? I know that you're new to this. Did you have your blades sharpened before starting to skate on them? Brand new blades have what is known as a "factory grind", which is actually quite horrid to skate on. They need grinding properly.

Vladik

On the Ice
As you mention questions, from my experience here on this board, there's one that will come in any case:
Do you have a coach?
If so, what do they say?
If not, why not? (and get one)

This is not intended to be rude or ignoring the problem, but it is always better to have someone seeing you on ice in person. Ideally someone you can really work with and who maybe knows you a little. And that someone can show you how to do it, better than any video can.
I take skating lessons but I am not at the point of learning any spins yet. I just tend to have a lot of free time on my hands and like to learn and practice new things! I think next time I go skating I will ask for some advice!

Vladik

On the Ice
Your feet shouldn't be together in a two foot spin, but ideally about hip-width apart with your weight centred between them. Knees bent.

Obvious question here - are your blades blunt? I know that you're new to this. Did you have your blades sharpened before starting to skate on them? Brand new blades have what is known as a "factory grind", which is actually quite horrid to skate on. They need grinding properly.
I cannot get them at a hip-width distance either. They slide apart completely, I'm almost doing the splits.

In regards to sharpening, I'm honestly not sure. I got my skates just over a month ago I think? Upon getting fitted and purchasing them, the fitter checked the blades and told me they should be alright, and if I got on the ice and was slipping around I should come back and see him. I had no problems with that so I assume they were sharpened before purchasing but I am not sure. I am not aware of this factory grind however. Is it detectable just by looking at blades?

I was told online that typically you get your blades sharpened after skating 20-30 hours, and I have skated over that. I haven't experienced any problems however, e.g slipping. The other day, I popped into my local pro shop where I was initially fitted and inquired about sharpening and if there are any signs I should look out for on my blades or in regards to my skating that indicate I need them sharpening. I was told it really depends on the person, etc. That some people get blades sharpened twice a week, and others once every few months etc...

I have not had any problems with slipping and feel stable on the ice so I'm assuming they don't need sharpening yet. Then again, I have little experience. I have never had them sharpened before so I am not sure how that'd feel to skate on for the first time. I am not familiar with the difference between the feelings of blunt or sharp blades. I guess I will wait and see when the time comes!

Thank you for your reply, any further advice would be appreciated!!!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If you're slipping, they almost certainly need sharpening. At least have them looked at by an expert. The advice of random people on the internet who can't see what's happening or feel the blades is no substitution for an expert on the spot.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I was told online that typically you get your blades sharpened after skating 20-30 hours, and I have skated over that. I haven't experienced any problems however, e.g slipping. The other day, I popped into my local pro shop where I was initially fitted and inquired about sharpening and if there are any signs I should look out for on my blades or in regards to my skating that indicate I need them sharpening. I was told it really depends on the person, etc. That some people get blades sharpened twice a week, and others once every few months etc...
It does depend on the person. How often you skate, what type of ice it is, and the things that you are doing with the skate all affect how often you need to get your skates sharpened.

Vladik

On the Ice
If you're slipping, they almost certainly need sharpening. At least have them looked at by an expert. The advice of random people on the internet who can't see what's happening or feel the blades is no substitution for an expert on the spot.
I am not slipping, I don’t think. Only when I try my two foot spin so I suppose I’m doing something wrong. I think I will ask for advice from people at my rink!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am not slipping, I don’t think. Only when I try my two foot spin so I suppose I’m doing something wrong. I think I will ask for advice from people at my rink!
Ask your coach or get a coach. Don't try to teach yourself with videos.