New Ashley Wagner Video. | Golden Skate

New Ashley Wagner Video.

Trewyn

Medalist
It's wonderful! It's one of the most interesting vlogs I've seen so far :) I love the way she describes John Nicks and Philip Mills as very different persons and the different aspects in coaching.
The sneak peak on the choreography was cool too!
And the shoe-eating... I love a little randomness to close things off!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Cool and positive vlog. Glad she is happy with her new situation: Mr Nicks being strict and Philip warm :biggrin: "a good balance".

It always strikes me, when skaters tell about their summer training, how exhausted they are when they "crawl into bed". Sure tough to do all the physical work and on top of that creating a performance that looks effortless. Kudos to Ashley and all. Real athletes they are :thumbsup:

Bad cute little Chester :disapp: :laugh: I know more than I want to know about puppies chewing your money away.

Yay about Ashley's short program. Very promising! New music to me or at least i can't remember seeing it skated to before.

Good luck with the LP tonight….

… and thanks to the person who is filming and youtubing.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SlhsHtn3w&feature=share

Ashley's Black Swan Fresskate.

I wonder if Ashley knows that the entire program is made up of music from the Swan Lake finale, when Odette, not Odile is the tragic female lead. The entire "black swan" suite is really special, so i'm sad Ashley didn't pick any of it for her program. Not to mention the character would suit her more.

^ In fact, why call it Black Swan at all? Put a white costume on her and call it White Swan, that would be more accurate and it wouldn't affect the choreo. It's not as if she's throwing off evil glitter the way Baiul did.

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ In fact, why call it Black Swan at all? Put a white costume on her and call it White Swan, that would be more accurate and it wouldn't affect the choreo. It's not as if she's throwing off evil glitter the way Baiul did.

Do CoP judges and tech callers care at all about this?

If Mr Nicks thought it would score more POINTS for Ashley I am sure he would make the necessary changes.

Are we talking theatre and pageants or skating and sports here :think:

herios

Medalist
Do CoP judges and tech callers care at all about this?

If Mr Nicks thought it would score more POINTS for Ashley I am sure he would make the necessary changes.

Are we talking theatre and pageants or skating and sports here :think:

Very good point. They don't! What is important is to nail the program, these nitpicky details do mean zippo, if you can do all your technical elements convincingly as well as interpret the program.

Did it matter when Ilia Kulik had his giraffe costume interpreting Gershwin? Did that minimize his chances in edging out the competition for the Olympic title?:cool::biggrin:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Very good point. They don't! What is important is to nail the program, these nitpicky details do mean zippo, if you can do all your technical elements convincingly as well as interpret the program.

Did it matter when Ilia Kulik had his giraffe costume interpreting Gershwin? Did that minimize his chances in edging out the competition for the Olympic title?:cool::biggrin:

I think that Spun Silver just meant that he thinks it would be better if Ashley put on a different costume because Ashley's choreography and music doesn't fit the image of a black swan. Does it really matter? No. Did it matter when Kulik was a giraffe? No. But it would still look better if Kulik was not a giraffe. The same with Ashley.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I like her Lp, I can t see the dress well but the program I like it a lot. Is anyone else skating to this music this season?
And thanx to the one who films the vids, I saw Mirai programs and Jason Brown ones and I really liked them.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I like her Lp, I can t see the dress well but the program I like it a lot. Is anyone else skating to this music this season?
And thanx to the one who films the vids, I saw Mirai programs and Jason Brown ones and I really liked them.

I don't think I heard any other ladies skater pick Black Swan. I think Miki Ando is using the music for exhibition. I know that Volosozhar/Trankov are using Black Swan for their LP this season. Maybe someone else is too.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Volosozhar/Trankov are skating to it for their LP.

Which will be AMAZING.

Yeah, I'm very excited about their new program. Haven't seen a pair skating to Tchaikovsky in a long time now. I'm not so sure about their short Evanescence program but can't say anything until I actually see them skating to the music. I hope we will see them soon doing some test skates.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I suspect there'll be a lot of swanning around this season.. I just hope not too many of them will be going mad on the ice. :eek:

That said I quite like Ashley's program..and I've always liked Ashley , so I hope everything works out for her this year.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I liked the swan program, but I can see Ashley improving it. Hey, isn't this competition more like a pre season training competition? Like the skaters are testing things, not doing everything planned? All of them aiming to peak at US nationals :biggrin:

I think the audience had a good time and I am happy for the videos; a treat to watch some new programs in the middle of off season. Thanks!

As for the costume, Ashley told in her vlog that her real costume is not yet ready. She used a show costume :eek:hwell:

silverpond

On the Ice

I agree, Herios. IMHO, a skater's costume would have to be absolutely over-the-top inappropriate in order to make any significant outcome to the skater's scores. Yes, sometimes skaters show up with costumes that are bizarre, ugly, etc., but it they nail their programs, deliver the technical elements, and interpret the music, that's OK.

IMHO, Ilia Kulik's "cow" costume was really nutty for Gershwin. How this particular costume selection was made was interesting, to say the least. I suppose his coaches and/or choregrapher found some connection with the music, or perhaps they just liked that particular shirt. :laugh:

I was rooting for Elvis Stokjo, anyway, and had he not been injured, I believe he would have won the gold medal. OK, Elvis was a strong technical skater, with great jumps and lots of speed, and his artistry wasn't quite up to the same level - but was he ever a great competitor! :thumbsup: By the way, his 1998 Olympic costume to the Bruce Lee movie theme was snazzy!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As for the costume, Ashley told in her vlog that her real costume is not yet ready. She used a show costume :eek:hwell:

That is very likely true, as it is with almost all the skaters at this point in the season. But I have my money on something dark, maybe even black swan-like. Why call the program "Black Swan" at all? because watching that film is where ashley got the idea to skate to swan lake. The music is the finale from Swan Lake. So just call the program Swan Lake and be done with it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
That is very likely true, as it is with almost all the skaters at this point in the season. But I have my money on something dark, maybe even black swan-like.
I m expecting feathers, lots of them.:) Wagner has always nice costumes in general, I trust her on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

evangeline

Record Breaker
That is very likely true, as it is with almost all the skaters at this point in the season. But I have my money on something dark, maybe even black swan-like. Why call the program "Black Swan" at all? because watching that film is where ashley got the idea to skate to swan lake. The music is the finale from Swan Lake. So just call the program Swan Lake and be done with it.

By calling the program "Black Swan," one can pretend that one is being creative and different by skating to something new, rather than that stuffy old warhorse Swan Lake. ;)

DianaSelene

Medalist
By calling the program "Black Swan," one can pretend that one is being creative and different by skating to something new, rather than that stuffy old warhorse Swan Lake. ;)

Yes, that's why I think people are skating to this Black Swan music this year. I've never watched the movie and when I heard that Ashley was going to skate to it, I thought that there would be some other music other than Tchaikovsky. But when I listened to some of the soundtrack, I realized it's pretty much Swan Lake. I guess skaters want to say, "Well, we're not skating to that old music. It's something new." But it's not.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just a reminder, this thread is about Ashley, her programs, and perhaps about ladies skating to Black Swan and maybe a few other related to Ashley issues. I have split the thread and hope those wishing to discuss the men's event in the 1998 Olympics will discuss it in that other thread?